Old 07 February 2005, 00:04   #1

Town: Wigan
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60hp
Saloon car towing limitations.

Hi all,
Sorry so long since last post, but had probs, wont bore you with them!
Looking at buying another rib, was very interested in " Seariders" 5.4 searider,
but realised my cars kerbside weight is just under 1400kg, and I believe legaly this means I can only tow half of that weight. The bad news is the searider concerned weighs 750kg on an unbraked trailer!! Anybody any advice on which ribs around 5mtr-5.2mtr with 60hp-75hp, on unbraked trailer come in at around the 600kg mark, or is it a case of needing a 4x4 once the 5mtre size is reached? Realy naffed off the searider is to heavy, it looks a sound rib.
Any advice welcome, thanks.
Old 07 February 2005, 07:21   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Charlie

A close friend of mine tows a 5.4 searider with an 80hp 4 stroke Yam behind a beaten up montego diesel, he doesn't seem to have any problems towing or launching with this, Bern and Jason used to tow a 5.85 ribcraft behind a 2.0 litre mondeo, and i know other people including myself who tow with cars rather than a 4x4.

You should be ok to tow a 5.4 seardier behind a decent sized car with no problem, however the problems start when you try to launch on anything other than a good slipway, though some marina's have cable systems.
Old 07 February 2005, 09:10   #3

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Engine: Yam 80
Bless me father for I have sinned.
[enters confessional mode]

When we went away last year, due to operational logistics, had the disco towing the trailler tent with wife, kids and kitchen sink in tow. Left me with the wifes car to tow my 5.4 brakeless searider. Wifes car is a renault Clio 1.2. It coped with everything - just about. Wasnt too heavy on pull away, top speed achieved was a legal 60, and averaged about 40-50 but needed a low gear on a hill. Was it overweight? A bit. But it still managed to recover up the slipway at Northney marina, which for those who have used it, is rather steep at low tide.

Conclusion, No matter what the logistics, the disco now pulls the searider and the clio pulls the trailler tent.

I would think your estimate of 750kg for a searider is a bit optimistic, but remember the towing limit of 0.5 x kerbside weight is for unbraked traillers. To tow upto kerbside weight you need a braked trailler. So if you want to use your car just add a set of brakes!

Tim'mers.
Old 07 February 2005, 09:42   #4

Length: 6m +
I wouldn't like to tow a fully kitted searider with a 1.2 petrol Clio! I towed me 5.4 searider home with nothing on it at all behind my 1.9 diesel clio, and it felt a bit on the heavy side (looking for a Rav-4 or similar now).

If you look in the car manual, there should be a list of towing weights in there somewhere.
Old 07 February 2005, 09:50   #5
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty
Bless me father for I have sinned.
[enters confessional mode]

When we went away last year, due to operational logistics, had the disco towing the trailler tent with wife, kids and kitchen sink in tow. Left me with the wifes car to tow my 5.4 brakeless searider. Wifes car is a renault Clio 1.2. It coped with everything - just about. Wasnt too heavy on pull away, top speed achieved was a legal 60, and averaged about 40-50 but needed a low gear on a hill. Was it overweight? A bit. But it still managed to recover up the slipway at Northney marina, which for those who have used it, is rather steep at low tide.

Conclusion, No matter what the logistics, the disco now pulls the searider and the clio pulls the trailler tent.

I would think your estimate of 750kg for a searider is a bit optimistic, but remember the towing limit of 0.5 x kerbside weight is for unbraked traillers. To tow upto kerbside weight you need a braked trailler. So if you want to use your car just add a set of brakes!

Tim'mers.
Thats nothing! I know someone who towed a 3 ton+ J-24 racing yacht behind a Peugeot 205 diesel!
Old 08 February 2005, 00:06   #6

Saloon car towing limitations

Thanks for the replys, all very helpful, if anyone else has any info, I would be greatful, as in what sort of 5.2'ish ribs fall within the 600kg weight range, as I understand the searider is quite a heavy rib anyway?
Thanks, Charlie.......
Old 08 February 2005, 20:59   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Searider Weight

Evening all,

Has anyone got a cheap 4x4 they can sell Charlie? Only joking!

Have just been to the weigh bridge with the Searider in the vain hope that it might be a bit lighter than I had thought (and had told Charlie)

It's 720kg with about 1/4 tank of fuel and no anchor. So I guess that it confirms that the trailer is big enough.

Out of interest the Avon catalogue gives the 5.4m Searider a weight of "From 525lbs" so about 238kg plus console / tank / battery / engine etc.
My 90hp weighs 137kg
The trailer weighs 230kg
So with an all up weight of 720kg the other bits (console / tank / battery / a-frame) add up to about 115kg.
30kg spare for some fuel and an anchor.

Now, should I throw in the Range Rover with the boat?

Regards
Old 09 February 2005, 00:02   #8

saloon car towing limitations

Searider,
As you can see, trying to find a way around this problem with the help of the
RibNet members ( thanks to all ) hav,nt given up yet, will be in touch.
Cheers, Charlie................
Old 09 February 2005, 08:04   #9

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
.............. realised my cars kerbside weight is just under 1400kg, and I believe legaly this means I can only tow half of that weight. ..................
Charlie, this only appliers to un-braked trailers I think the easiest solution is to fit a braked axle to the trailer and although it will cost you a couple of hundred it will be cheaper then buying and running a 4x4
Des