Old 08 January 2005, 18:22   #1
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
Towing Regulations

Seems that trailers and towing etc are a hot topic at the moment so i guess its a good time to ask if anyone is familiar with towing regulations?

What are the actual rules/laws governing towing? Is anyone allowed to tow a trailer (in particular a RIB) or do you have to have a special driving license and car insurance?

Also, are there limits on size and weight that can be towed behind a normal 4x4? (apart from the cars limits obviously!)

As some of you guys know, i am only 19 and therefore have one of the new style driving licenses which i have heard are different to their paper predocessors in terms of what they allow you to drive/move.

Basically, i need to know if i can tow a 2 tonne P22 around legally or do i need to do an extra test?

I dont really want to be fined or banned!

Also, if (worse case scenario) i was to have an accident with a RIB behind me and it was infact illegal for me to tow it in the first place, i guess insurance would be invalid and id be in big big trouble with the law! -- Want to avoid this at all costs!!

Cheers

SEB
Old 08 January 2005, 18:30   #2

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
With your licence you can legally tow upto 750Kg. To tow a heavier trailer/load I'm affraid another test is required.
Yes there are "Size" limits for a none HGV tow vehicle. But cannot remeber them. Search the DVLA site for info.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Old 08 January 2005, 19:21   #3

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Sorry Seb, i dont think theres any getting around this.

Your licence allows you to tow upto 750 KGs. Your P22 will exceed that by some way so you need to take your test.

You should also be careful about your tow vehicle to be sure that is able to two the 2 tonnes of boat behind it! i think your car should have a max towing weight. On my Golf the instructions say max weght for unbreaked trailer is 1350 Kgs. to be honest i would worry about towing that as i know what its like at the moment with less that 600 Kgs!

Max towing weight for your vehicle should be in the manual. if you exceed that and you were unfoortunate enough to have an accident and the insurance comany fond out, im pretty sure your insurance would not stand up.
Old 08 January 2005, 19:31   #4

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
With your licence you can legally tow upto 750Kg
Not quite true....

This was brought up a couple of days ago on a thread about a dodgy trailer.....

This is taken from the DVLA website, and applies to people who have a new (post 97) licence:

Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) OR a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:
  1. a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle.
So in other words, the bigger your car, the more you can tow. (Although in the case of a P22 this probably doesn't apply as you are limited as to the size of vehicle you can drive). What sort of car do you have Seb?
Old 08 January 2005, 20:03   #5

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Have a look at this site for info:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ds_506866.hcsp

Note the rules on trailer length and vehicle kerb weight- in the Dimensions section. This has prompted a lot of debate in the past.

Ian.
Old 08 January 2005, 20:04   #6
Seb

Thanks for the info guys!

I thought that i would have to take a different test to tow such a weighty boat but wasnt 100% sure and couldnt seem to find a definate answer anywhere.

Ive got a 4x4 at the moment which will tow the RIB without any problems although the fuel gauge does seem to sprint to the red pretty sharpish!

Tim, cheers for the info on the 'loop hole'. Wish i could take advantage of it but my car weighs approx 2.75 tonnes so when its coupled to 2 tonne of boat, im still over the combined weight limit - just!!

See you've changed your name too matey!

Anyway, i guess i wont be doing any towing for a while although i suppose its worth getting the extra ticket to allow me to do so - if i can blag a pass that is! Its amazing how quickly one picks up bad habits!!

If anyone sees a RIB in transit on the road with 'L' plates on it, give me a wave!!

Cheers all
Old 08 January 2005, 20:38   #7

This does seem to be a very grey.

Before i bought my boat i looked at the DVLA leaflet and came to the same conclusion about combination weights.

When i spoke to the people dong the training they said differently (Proberbly because they wanted my money!)

Either way, unfortunatly it looks like Seb has to to another test. Im planning on getting mine sorted too as mum wants me to pull her stupid horse around on the weekends im not playing in the boat!!
Old 09 January 2005, 13:59   #8
Seb

Zippy,

Do you by any chance know who where theres a list of trailer test centres?

Also, have you any idea how much it all is and what is involved? Is it a day course and continual assessment or is it like a real driving licence affair with lessons and a final exam?

Cheers

SEB
Old 09 January 2005, 15:33   #9

Seb,

Just had a look round the house for the copy of Rib International which had the article in. It was the one with the write up of Kathleen and Fiona doing the round Ireland in a big yelow rib!

I remember looking at their web site which was alright but when i spoke with them they were really helpful. im sure soneone on here must still have that magazine and could help us out?????

Sorry i cant be more use!
Old 09 January 2005, 16:10   #10

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Seb

Hope this will help
Contact Brian Hewitt
Driver Transport Training 01359 253535
brian@d-t-t.co.uk
www.drivertransporttraining.co.uk

Grumpy
Old 09 January 2005, 18:09   #11

there the peeps!

Thanks Grumpy.
Old 09 January 2005, 18:24   #12
Seb

Cheers guys
Old 09 January 2005, 18:41   #13

Town: Falmouth, Kernow!
Boat name: PlayM8
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda 4stroke 45
Ok, so i'm not sure that I should have towed a J24 keelboat (1275kg (hull/mast only) on a breaking trailer, to Plymouth (&back) with a 2001 Mondeo hatch?

Incidently, any ideas on what a 1995 SR4 with Honda 45 4stroke weighs all up with trailer?
Would be useful to know as i'm trying to sell the mondeo (V6 by the way), and looking to downgrade to possibly a small hatchback which would then be used for towing.......