Old 22 November 2004, 14:39   #1

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Upholstery

Does anyone know of any places that are good for supplying upholstery bits and bobs? I intend to have a go at making up some cushions for a jockey seat and various other cushions. I think I need vinyl, foam, piping etc.

Has anyone done this before? Can anyone provide me with some tips on how to go about it? What density/thickness of foam do I need? How do I fasten the cushions to locker lids etc?

I was thinking of producing them with a zip so the foam could be taken out and dried out.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Tim
Old 22 November 2004, 15:31   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
This will sound really Northern........

......however, try your local outdoor market. Honestly, you'll find everything you need, foam, vinyl, zips the lot. Failing that, yell.com under upholsterers or another decent place if you have one near you. Dunhelm Mill. Trust me, try the market.
Old 22 November 2004, 15:37   #3

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Has anyone done this before? Can anyone provide me with some tips on how to go about it? What density/thickness of foam do I need? How do I fasten the cushions to locker lids etc?

I was thinking of producing them with a zip so the foam could be taken out and dried out.
Richard has redone the seat bases on our jockeys. For my twopennyworth, I would advise you to go for the thickest and densest foam you can find so it will give you plenty of 'crushability' before your rear end hits ply or GRP or whatever the base is made of! The seats on ours are about 8 to 10 inches thick I reckon and very comfy! I'd be careful about fitting zips unless you can find ones that will not corrode! I don't reckon it would be necessary anyway. IIRC, Richard reused the original foam when doing ours.

HTH and good luck with it!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2004, 15:39   #4

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I made my cushions by making the base out of ply covering it with two grades on foam, (soft outer, hard inner) and then I got the vinyl covered made by Solent Covers in Lymington. 01590 688886 not always there but keep trying she offers very good value for money compared to the others in Lymington.

You need spray glue to stick the foam in place and by gluing the edge and squashing it you can taper the foam in towards the bottom of the seat.

I have in the past made the whole thing but on the more complicated bits you cannot beat the experience of someone who has done it loads of times before.

If you want to do it all I found John Small at Bitterne 02380 472225 helpful they have everything from foam to vinyl.

Not sure about the zips, in the trade they put the foam in a ploy bag and put drain holes in the bottom.

Des
Old 22 November 2004, 16:45   #5

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll do some following up!

Anyone else got any advice/info? I have a few leaflets of companies that advertise at the soton boat show but I would imagine they are more expensive than a non marine specific company?

Cheers

Tim
Old 22 November 2004, 17:04   #6

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
John Lewis stock vinyl. Usually always black but occasionally they have other colours too. If you can bear not to have the best looking seats on the Solent then do not pipe or stitch the edges or the corners, just fold them in. No holes means no leaks and boggin' foam. Remember to put vent holes in the the bases though. You can glue the vinyl to the bottom of the bases using Evostic impact adhesive or Bostik 2402. If you make the bases from ply, you can screw up through the seat tops into the ply. This makes them easy to make and fit/refit. You can, using this method, attach the vinyl to the base using galvanised clout nails, the type used for roofing felt, they have short shanks and large heads. It sounds crude but it works fine. You can cut your foam easily with an electric carving knife and if you want a nice rounded top edge there is a method for doing this. It'll be better if I draw it rather than try to explain it. I'm gonna have me tea and then I'll come back with a drawing.
Old 22 November 2004, 17:47   #7

Thanks jwalker, I'll look forward to seeing the pick!

I want to make jockey seat cushion and flat cushions for on top of the anchor locker and suicide seat in front of a console (if I have one).

Cheers

Tim
Old 22 November 2004, 18:40   #8

One other thing I'll mention which only applies to males (I think). Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. If you use thick foam, when you sit down the foam is displaced and some of it is displaced to between your legs and forces upwards, get my drift? Anyway, you may find you have to er... adjust yourself each time you sit.

Here's the pic.

Well it would be if I could get it to upload. I'll try again later.
Old 22 November 2004, 18:45   #9

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Toomer and Hayter in Bournemouth stock supplies of all things upholstery,I have used them and they seem reasonable
http://www.toomerandhayter.co.uk/

I too have used Solent covers and can recomend,she recovered my jockey console and made a bow cushion.
Old 22 November 2004, 19:10   #10

There you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FoamCorner x 400.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	9194