Old 11 July 2004, 20:41   #51

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
Most Victoria boats were made in 1990 - 91. If its a 91 boat, its probably a victoria.

On Halmatic boats the deck is screwed to plywoode member which are in turn screwed to the grp hull. On Victoria boats the deck is screwed directly to the hull.

Things like seats look similar, but are not interchangable. Some of the console panels are different, but since most are removed by the mod, yours probably wont have a console.

The layup is slightly different, with (if i remember correctly) the Halmatic boats have a natural finish inside the hull (noticable if you look under the small hatch at the front) and the Victoria boats have a grey flowcoat finish under the front hatch.

The most obvious thing that is different about them is the wiring.

With regards to the Dover block timing pump, the pump is fed with oil from the engine. There is also a pipe which links the oil feed from the engine casing to the injection pump. The fill hole is on the top next to the fuel screw. On the dorset engine, i cant remember completely, but i think there is no oil hose connecting the injection pump to the engine casing.

Remember the Dorset block is the 2700 series and the Dover is the 2720 series. The Dorset being the older less powerful block, more related to tractors and the old 'd' series lorry, the dover being common to the ford 'cargo' lorry.
Old 11 July 2004, 23:15   #52

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
You haven't seen the threaded pipe I described earlier in the thread then?

Sorry, meant to address this to Neville.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2004, 12:57   #53

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Big Blue
Make: Halmatic Pacific 22
Engine: Mermaid 140
Roohairy

According to the Ford manual I have, the diagram that you posted, refers to the "Class 'A' and Combine Harvester Governed pump" where as the pump I have ( which they describe as the pump fitted to the Dovers ) is the "Automotive and G.P. Governed pump". The diagram referring to the latter shows a union located towards the rear of the pump on the outside and approx 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of the pump and this is described as "pressure oil feed connection", and this is where I have a braided oil hose fitted, in addition to this it also shows a plug just behind the bolt you refer to which is "oil fill plug (initial fitment only)". I can only think that you have got the Class A pump instead of the G.P. pump. This is the engine manual as supplied by Mermaid but is in essence the Ford workshop manual.

Andy
Old 12 July 2004, 17:57   #54

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
Thanks for your help Andy, I'm not at home at the moment so will have a look when I get back. I have a Dorset block in another boat and a manual for that, will need to take a closer look at the Mermaid to see what I've got.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2004, 15:59   #55

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
Andy,
The one in the yacht haven isn't mine. Mine is landlocked on a trailor I hope to have it in the water soon.
Dunc
Old 15 July 2004, 16:57   #56

Dunc,

When you do get yours in the water, let me know and see if you'd be interested in a run up to Fowey or Salcombe. I'm slowly getting to grips with mine and a run in company would good for establishing reliability etc.?

Cheers

Andy

www.andrewcoxmarine.co.uk
Old 17 July 2004, 16:42   #57

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Sorry folks but the Pacific thread has come back to the top again another epic saga

anyway for the small band of owners, been wondering what to do about boat covers for some time. Last weeks gale made the decision for me as the old one is now at the bottom of Haslar Creek and I am not spending £6 worth of air to get it back. Custom covers are about £500 which is out fo the question so ...

Spent this afternoon over with Bembridge Outboards IOW, (very busy as its the height of the season) but still very friendly people. Chose there biggest rib cover and then spent an hour trying to fit it to the Pacific. Well it just fits. If you have the standard MOD a frame it would fit much better and at £165 looks well made and a good colour to keep the temperature down underneath during the heat waves

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0020.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	6988  
Old 17 July 2004, 19:41   #58

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Shearwater
Make: Halmatic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 440hp diesel jet
Andy,
Sounds good. I'll let you know when its sorted I have a few little jobs to do before shes ready. Pete that cover looks nice. Certainly more practical than my tarp.
Old 17 July 2004, 23:51   #59

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: D Hollins
Make: pacific 38
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin 212 hp Diesel
Roohairy;

That diagram that you posted of the fuel pump last a page back is from a dorset block. The dover block which is more common has as i pointed out earlier an oil pipe and 2 fuel pipes going to it.

Check to see if yours is a dorset or dover , the 2 pumps are quite similar though.

On the dover , close to where you have that bolt head circled is a fuel return connection. But the dover pump does not have the 2 bolt heads - if that makes sense!
Old 18 July 2004, 10:18   #60

Dunc,
Likewise, I've got a few bots'n'bobs to do as well, the main thing being to re fit the gearbox which I removed a few days ago to replace the oil seal on the input shaft ( had an idea I was loosing atf. into the bellhousing ). This boat had stood still for quite a while and over the time, a bit of corrosion had formed on the input shaft and when I started using it it took the edge off the seal. Have now replaced the seal and cleaned up the shaft, so fingers crossed that has sorted it!
One other problem that I'm having is with the steering helm pump. At first I thought it was a bit of air in the system and figured that if I kept turning the wheel lock to lock I would eventually be able to work it out of the system. But the problem is persisting, the symptoms being, when I go to full lock on one side or the other and hold a bit of pressure on it, a spurt of oil is coming out of the breather hole in the filler plug as soon as I start to come back the other way. In addition to this, when travelling at speed (if that's an appropriate term to use for a P22) and I try to turn, there is a lot of resistance at the wheel which suddenly gives and out comes another spurt of oil.
Anybody got any thoughts?

Cheers
Andy