Old 29 August 2001, 21:03   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Dolphins

I was out in the Moray Firth last October (2000) and this was only my 3rd time out on the sea!

We were about 1 mile out and ended up surrounded by a school of about 40 Dolphins. Quite terrifying as each one is about the same bodyweight as a cow! They could have easily tipped the boat if they wanted.

We had Karen's underwater camera with us and as the Dolphins went under and around the boat we managed to get some pictures. You can clearly see the Dolphins back and fin, this one had just dived under the boat. The picture was taken by Karen who just held the camera under the water and fired off some shots.

They are Bottle Nose Dolphins of which there are about 100 in the Moray Firth. I have seen them from the shore many times but this was just something else! Wow, what an introduction to boating.

Now before anyone tries to tell me off about chasing Dolphins...we weren't. They came to us. We turned the power off and just let them get on with it. After about 5 minutes we very slowly made our way back inshore and several followed us right in. Remember Karen is a Marine Biologist and she keeps me in order.

It was a magical experience.

Keith Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphin2gif.gif
Views:	525
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	67  
Old 29 August 2001, 21:05   #2

This is the Dolphin under the boat.

Keith Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolphin1gif.gif
Views:	566
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	68  
Old 04 September 2001, 20:05   #3

As I am new to this boating stuff I have difficulty in estimating distances when out at sea (inshore!). Looking at the first picture of the Dolphins at the side of the boat, how far out do you think we were?

Keith Hart
Old 05 September 2001, 07:24   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
It's hard to tell, especially from a photo, but I would guess about half a mile.

Perhaps this could become our equivalent of a spot the ball competition!

John
Old 05 September 2001, 09:36   #5

Town: Shaftesbury
Make: currently boatless (formerly Tornado)
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 40
In order to guesstimate the distance, it would be helpful to know two things, the format of the camera (35mm, A.P.S., etc.) and the focal length of the lens on the camera.

Armed with that info., it should be possible to corroborate (or otherwise!) John's estimate.

They say the camera never lies but it can be very hard sometimes to know how "truthful" it is being!
Old 05 September 2001, 16:11   #6

Oh...difficult!

Er, it is a point and shoot, focus free camera that takes 35mm film (not an slr). It goes inside a plastic case and you can use it underwater, hence the photo of the dolphin's back.

This attached photo was taken with the same camera about 30 minutes before.

Is this any help?

Keith Hart
Attached Images

Old 05 September 2001, 17:08   #7

Town: Shaftesbury
Make: currently boatless (formerly Tornado)
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 40
The type of camera you describe, tends very often to have quite a wideangle lens fitted. This has the effect of exagerating distances and I would guess that John's estimate of 1/2 a mile may be a bit on the generous side.

Having said that, when you get a view like the one in the photograph, as seen with the naked eye I think that John would be right on the money.

Estimating distances over water is notoriously hard, but can improve with practice so when you get out on the water with your new toys (hand bearing compass and gps) zap off a few fixes and/or check the gps and your "feel" for distance will develop very rapidly.
Old 10 September 2001, 07:05   #8

Hi there

You are so right, I have found it really difficult to estimate distances over water. I have some new charts for Kylesku, Ullapool and my own area of the Moray Firth. When I am up in Scotland again in a couple of weeks (I can hardly wait) I will check out known distances on the charts and then take a look from the boat. That way I should get some practical estimation at known distances (what a mouthful).

Whisper.........

NO not TOYS, I've been very working hard to convince the Boss (her indoors) that these GPS thingys are a VERY important and necessary life saving instruments that are required by LAW and if I don't have them I could drift out to sea and never be seen again etc. etc.

..........Normal voice again

Of course I got the charts from www.chartsales.co.uk, brilliant service.

Cheers, Keith Hart