Old 20 September 2006, 15:47   #1

Town: Co Clare
Length: 4m +
Yet another upgrade question

Putting my SR4 up for sale again and looking to move up to something around the 5.2 to 5.4m . Anybody any opinions on the Avon 560 . Was looking at this –

http://portsmouth.boatshed.com/viewboat.php?boat=24155

What are its sea keeping abilities like . Most of my ribbing is done off the west coast here so I am looking for something capable . I don’t hear the 560 mentioned very often of this site . It’s a little bigger than I planed and I think it’s a bit over priced especially as the outboard is 96 vintage but it has been for sale for a while so I’m sure the price is negotiable .

Apart from this one any suggestions as regards a good make in the 5.2 to 5.4 meter range . My short list are the usual suspects

Tornado , Humber , Ribcraft all 5.3m

Any other suggestions ?.

Thanks
Old 20 September 2006, 17:29   #2

Town: Macclesfield
Boat name: Aqua Fresh
Make: Zodiac Medline
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha
MMSI: 235051988
re Avon 560

hi I am also in the same market and as such went to the boat show last weekend had a great day thanks to avon and Dave from Glaslyn Marine.
went out on an Avon 620 with a 115 hp yam great set up

looking at 560 with 115 hp mariner/mercury
rear bench twin jockeys and low screen double counsol with front seats and bow seat, 2" A frame with wakeboard tow point

but have found this in my search

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F116104/

Andy
Old 20 September 2006, 17:54   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
This is Tonys boat Xanthus, (Tony is Tcwozere on Ribnet)

http://tcwozere.co.uk/xanthus/

Really impressed with this rib, you deffinately sit in the boat rather than on it which gives a very secure feeling. IMHO the Avon Dive series is a better boat than the Avon 5.4m, just seems to have more room to move around and feels bigger than the 20cm. Those are Outhill consoles so it would have been an expensive boat when new. The Avon tubes have a heavy duty feel to them which puts many others to shame, be sad to see her go.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	22284  
Old 20 September 2006, 18:06   #4

Town: Poole
Length: 6m +
Tim

We've run an identical boat to this (now with a 90Hp 4 stroke Mariner) and have always been really pleased with it. It's been out in some very rough stuff and has always come though it well. Only (minor) critism of it is that it does not have a well near the transom to collect water pre pumping it over so water does have a tendancy to slosh around on deck. That said i've seen a 5.6 that has a small well cut into the deck for just this purpose - on my winter jobs list!.

Hope this helps - please feel free to call with any questions

Paul

www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk, www.aquasafepowerboatschool.co.uk
Paul Glatzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2006, 18:20   #5

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Thanks for the endorsements Pete.. The price is very slightly negotiable, if it's not sold this season, it won't be the end of the world.. Yes the yam is '96, but according to Rogue Wave, it's the best two stroke in the world.. There are some "action" shots of the rib in my siggy link.. If you want to know anything else about the boat, Peter at Boatshed Portsmouth is always available, and if he isn't, please feel free to send me a pm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glatzel
Only (minor) critism of it is that it does not have a well near the transom to collect water pre pumping it over so water does have a tendancy to slosh around on deck. That said i've seen a 5.6 that has a small well cut into the deck for just this purpose - on my winter jobs list!.
I had that mod done, new bilge below decks, with a stainless steel trap.. (Close up pictures on the Boatshed website..) The only way to keep your feet dry..
Old 21 September 2006, 08:12   #6

Town: Co Clare
Length: 4m +
Thanks for all the info . I plan to be over in Gosport on business in the next couple of week so I will try to line up a few ribs to view while I am over there . I was wondering what the picture of the well was , now I know . If I wasn’t selling my SR4 I would consider doing the same . Good idea .

Thanks all