RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Tow vehicles, 4x4s, trucks, cars & bikes (http://www.rib.net/forum/f46/)
-   -   Road legal quad bikes (http://www.rib.net/forum/f46/road-legal-quad-bikes-8526.html)

pettal 21 January 2005 10:14

Road legal quad bikes

Strange question but has anyone got a road legal quad bike or know anything about them?

1.) Legality and what constitutes a legal road version.
2.) Can an offroad one be converted and what do you have to do.
3.) What types and recommendations.
4.) Anything else you can think of baring in mind I know very little about the subject?

Just one of my brain farts that I have on a Friday afternoon! :D

Scotty 21 January 2005 11:10

Surely they are all road legal once you put a reg plate on it and tax and insure it. But it would be the worst of both worlds !!!! Unlike a motorbike you cant filter in traffic and when it rains you get wet :D :D :D :D :D

pettal 22 January 2005 05:26

In the UK, possibly but here on Guernsey we are only small and we don't have quite the same traffic build up you have over there. It takes me 6 mins to commute to work! :D

Ribald 22 January 2005 06:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by pettal
It takes me 6 mins to commute to work! :D

:@ :@

Scotty 22 January 2005 09:06

Quote:

In the UK, possibly but here on Guernsey we are only small and we don't have quite the same traffic build up you have over there. It takes me 6 mins to commute to work! :D

Me too but I ride a BMW R1150 GS Adventure :D :D :D :thumbs:

pettal 22 January 2005 09:14

I used to have bikes but we don't talk to each other anymore. We had a falling out after the last time an idiot pulled out in front of me and sent me over the bonnet and into a granite wall.

Just one too many accidents on bikes.......admittedly a couple were my fault (too fast.....and too stupid) but the majority were other drivers.

I figured a quad might be a tad safer!?

Zippy 22 January 2005 11:34

We used to have a road legal quad on the farm i worked on. affraid i dont know much about them cos i was only 15 at the time and not allowed to use it.

I guess they need taxing and insuring like any normal bike. i do remember seeing on in Brussels last year. he was doing huge wheelies down the road and riding like a mad man! must be something in the strong beer over there!

Ribald 22 January 2005 11:35

Quote:

I figured a quad might be a tad safer!?

Might be worth asking Ozzy Osbourne that question. :D

pettal 22 January 2005 12:32

Yeah, I've been looking today and it needs a bit more than tax and insurance by the looks of it.

They want speedo, brake lights, indicators and road wheels from what I've managed to glean off the different web sites.

No doubt Guernsey will be different........for some reason they always are! :sick:

Thanks Ribald........whilst I like a little dwinky every now and again I'm not quite up to Ozzy's rate of consumption! Well not yet anyway!!! :D :D

Graham H 22 January 2005 13:40

Quote:

Yeah, I've been looking today and it needs a bit more than tax and insurance by the looks of it.

They want speedo, brake lights, indicators and road wheels from what I've managed to glean off the different web sites.

Just buy a Smart car they have all those :D :D :D