RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Deck layout (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/deck-layout-8479.html)

LeewayComposite 17 January 2005 07:17

Deck layout

Just building my new rib and been working on hull designs and getting a good allround rib that the interior has just been forgot about. i was hopeing people could advise on deck layout (whats best and why) it is a 6m and will be used by me mainly (wanting to go fast) and family every other week (in sunny season).

Hightower 17 January 2005 07:56

Central position for the helmsman a third of a length back from the bow and then single or double jockeys side by side behind.

MeMe 17 January 2005 08:49

Have a look at........

1 Attachment(s)
..........www.boatsandoutboards.com in the RIB section where you'll get 100's of ideas. Personally I'd favor twin jockeys for you and a partner to enjoy the fast rough stuff, with a bench seat behind and a forward facing seat attached to the console for the family and kids when it's sunny. Take a look at these (for sale by the way on the above site) !

Pete7 17 January 2005 09:17

Agree with Meme, good quality seats from Bembridge, but also those jockey seats from Outhill are very nice if a little (very) expensive, perhaps you could mould something similar to the JC5T :]

Any photos of the new hull ?

Pete

http://www.outhill.com/seats.htm

pettal 17 January 2005 11:34

I agree with hightower with the exception of I wouldn't have double jockey seats and go for singles but double up (i.e. instead of 2 doubles...have 4 singles).

I now wish I'd had four singles rather than a double. The reason is that if you have three people on board then either perched at the front or back of a double on your own is very hard to hold onto if your flooring it through a bit of rough stuff.

For me, I needed deck space so the space saved by the double pods was worth it, but if I was purely cruising then I'd have to go single pods. In fact in a few years time I may change the doubles for singles anyway.....but need to re-coup some pennies first!

LeewayComposite 17 January 2005 11:45

great to get the ideas flowing.

pete7
will post pic of new rib when the first is releast from the mould.

pettal
good point about double and single jockeys.

LeewayComposite 17 January 2005 11:46

whats best single width console or double???????

LeewayComposite 17 January 2005 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightower
Central position for the helmsman a third of a length back from the bow and then single or double jockeys side by side behind.

why do you think single console in central position with jockey is better???

tue 17 January 2005 14:03

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeewayComposite

You don't have to have a single console for central helm. I have the Outhill CC9 console and JS6? jockey seat which I have centrally mounted. It helps if I'm on my own as my weight in on the centre line of the boat so it doesn't lean to one side. Then 4 single jockey seats behind the helm would give loads of seating (you could also fit a console with a forward seat).

This is how mine is setup (6.5m). I need the deck space for diving hence no other seating but you can see how much space behind the helm seat you should have for other seats and space in the front for a forward console seat.

Hightower 17 January 2005 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeewayComposite

A centrally positioned helm is always going to be better than one to the side because as you mentioned in your first post, you'll be alone in the RIB quite often and if you're to the side the boat it might lean to that side, espetially in a smaller RIB and then these's a question of having a central position for visability as well. You could choose a single consol or a double with a single central jockey, with the latter you'll get more protection from the spray and have more room for instruments, nav gear ect.

Don't know what the asthetics would be like though, but look at the pic above to get an Idea. I think it's cool! Like the McClaren of the boating world.

I guess the choice is yours though!