RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   A litany of problems - new ribber tales (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/a-litany-of-problems-new-ribber-tales-77725.html)

Jampot 19 January 2018 10:26

A litany of problems - new ribber tales

In July last year my wife and I finally bought our own Rib.
The following article details the issues we faced :facepalm:

Hopefully the fault finding and steps taken with the fuel system will help other ribbers.

https://www.scribd.com/document/369524877/rib-tales

Bern Hanreck 19 January 2018 12:56

Jamie , hiya. There's an awful lot there to get one's teeth into but I'm tempted to ask ... since that was quite a substantial first purchase , did you not have a sea trial , or an inspection from a qualified marine surveyor or at least take a knowledgeable mate before you laid out what must have been a sizeable amount of dosh for an " above average " rib ?

The perishing fuel line could hit anyone as I know I have suffered from the same issue but fortunately only in my auxiliary line .

I too have cruised with Doug on several occasions and indeed our paths may have crossed ? I can't imagine a more helpful chap to have standing by when things go wrong. :thumbs:

Max... 19 January 2018 13:03

You've been unlucky but Caveat Emptor and all that...

I think most of us have had fuel/engine/electrics issues with our boats over the years.

Just part and parcel of boat ownership. ;)

Jampot 19 January 2018 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck (Post 764742)
Jamie , hiya. There's an awful lot there to get one's teeth into but I'm tempted to ask ... since that was quite a substantial first purchase , did you not have a sea trial , or an inspection from a qualified marine surveyor or at least take a knowledgeable mate before you laid out what must have been a sizeable amount of dosh for an " above average " rib ?

The perishing fuel line could hit anyone as I know I have suffered from the same issue but fortunately only in my auxiliary line .

I too have cruised with Doug on several occasions and indeed our paths may have crossed ? I can't imagine a more helpful chap to have standing by when things go wrong. :thumbs:

Hi Bern,
I had the boat surveyed, but no sea trial. The boat was about 20 miles from the sea. The owner had connected up a hose and removed the engine cowling so I could inspect. Far from ideal, but the guy was an airline pilot, so all of the documentation was in great order. I bought the man rather than the rib.

Likewise, I had Doug and a lot of his contacts advising me what to look out for. And you are totally correct, I could have had no finer person on hand.
It was a pretty miserable introduction to ownership, but I've actually learned a lot in the process and know my boat pretty well now.

We are planning to meet up in May/Jun for a west coast tour again. Hopefully our paths can cross again
cheers

neil.mccrirrick 19 January 2018 14:59

I hope after all that you now have nothing but good weather and reliability. I think we all experience challenges. Treat them as learning curves, as you seem to have done, and while your pocket is poorer you are much richer in experience [emoji1][emoji106]

Jampot 19 January 2018 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick (Post 764753)
I hope after all that you now have nothing but good weather and reliability. I think we all experience challenges. Treat them as learning curves, as you seem to have done, and while your pocket is poorer you are much richer in experience [emoji1][emoji106]

thanks Neil, that's very kind of you

jeffstevens763@g 19 January 2018 16:15

I admire you sticking with it, the good part is you know you have a good engine now, enjoy the west coast.

HDAV 19 January 2018 16:35

Interesting read, is it possible that he fuel residue and contamination was the true route cause of the optimax 225 Demise?

For 12 a time with 200+Of fuel at risk not to mention the motor ? Surely this is worth while every time you fill up?
Quicksilver Quickstor Fuel Stabiliser 355ml

Was the waxy gunk at the top of the bottom of the tank?

breezeblock 20 January 2018 13:30

jeez I think after that I would have sunk the thing in the deepest part of the Clyde you must have a load of patience

dougcrock 20 January 2018 13:44

No
The optimax was running fine using the fuel in the main tank and also when connected to external tank
It was only a prob on WOT when it collapsed the fuel bulb
There was no water or contamination in the tank or filter
Water was introduced either when new engine and new fuel sender fitted or contaminated fuel from Morrisons