RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Other stuff (http://www.rib.net/forum/f19/)
-   -   Boaty McBoatface final name... (http://www.rib.net/forum/f19/boaty-mcboatface-final-name-71914.html)

whisper 06 May 2016 06:47

Boaty McBoatface final name...

The final result...

Boaty McBoatface polar research ship to be named after Sir David Attenborough | Science | News | The Independent

Custom Rigid Inflatable Boats RIBs For Sale and Repairs

stray 06 May 2016 09:14

Typical, let the public have their say, then ignore them.

Bigtalljv 06 May 2016 12:41

The named the ROV Boaty McBoatface.

lakelandterrier 07 May 2016 18:17

Original idea bit daft in the first place....".but we must be seen to be inclusive..." I wouldn't trust the great British Public geared to X-factor and BGT to make a decision on my business.

However if you are stupid enough to put say you'll open something to a public votes you will lose more than you gain by ignoring the runaway winner. Not thought through at the start.

Right decision not to go for such a silly - but highly amusing name

willk 07 May 2016 18:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakelandterrier (Post 714933)
However if you are stupid enough to put say you'll open something to a public votes you will lose more than you gain by ignoring the runaway winner. Not thought through at the start.

My understanding is that they were vetting all suggestions before passing them for voting. One channel of social media was overlooked for vetting and the suggestions when straight through to the vote.

lolz ;)

whisper 08 May 2016 06:34

I think they missed a trick, this went viral world wide and everyone was taking the P*** however with that amount of publicity and a child friendly name I would have thought that it would have been a good topic in schools etc to raise even more awareness?

If I think back to my childhood I'll never forget blue peter raising money to proved lifeboats. I guess sometimes you need someone that's creative making decisions :(

www.customrib.co.uk

BogMonster 08 May 2016 09:00

Will their workboats be called Ribby McRibface?

ShinyShoe 08 May 2016 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by whisper (Post 714978)
I think they missed a trick, this went viral world wide and everyone was taking the P*** however with that amount of publicity and a child friendly name I would have thought that it would have been a good topic in schools etc to raise even more awareness?

You may be right. My son's school has been talking to Tim Peake on the international space station. Tim took a packet of seeds up and then sent them back down and now they are growing them in comparison to ones that stayed on earth... ...if these kinds of things don't inspire future scientists I'm not sure what will!

I think Attenbrough is a perfectly fine name and all that.. although in 20 years time will the next generation know who he is? But you do wonder if a comedy name would have been better for the profile - but maybe it doesn't matter - they'd never have got that profile and coverage just now if the debate had been "HMS Attenbrough or HMS Hawkings"... when its finished and launched it will no doubt get mentioned again and I suspect the press will continue to call it the ship that was nearly called Boaty McBoatface. Maybe even the crew will too...

willk 08 May 2016 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyShoe (Post 714996)
and I suspect the press will continue to call it the ship that was nearly called Boaty McBoatface. Maybe even the crew will too...

And I certainly will too, if only to p1ss off dongaldan.

I'm not quite sure why BAS/NERC decided to depart from their previous naming format - i.e. famous British polar explorers and their vessels

Personally, if I was naming a fine vessel like that, I'd have gone for Endurance again... ;)

http://www.rib.net/forum/attachment....6&d=1399903986

lakelandterrier 10 May 2016 16:56

Apparantly one of the remotely controlled vessels carried will be callled boaty mcboat face so the name will be recognised.