RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs (http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/)
-   -   Bravo Pump (http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bravo-pump-70677.html)

Stigomery 22 December 2015 05:39

Bravo Pump

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the 'best' or most appropriate electric pump for my Honwave T38 SIB?

I've seen these from 40 - 180 and to be honest they all seem to do exactly the same thing.

I don't need an integral battery as I have various portable batteries.

Sevylor

or

Bravo 1

or

Bravo 2

or

...?

(the boat shop actually recommended against an electric pump as they break easily but when inflating my new SIB it took about 25 minutes / many seem to rate them)

Thanks

treerat 22 December 2015 05:48

I use one of the double action pumps, takes no time at all really - Buy Double Action Manual Hand Air Pump at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Air pumps.

The foot pump is carried for top ups but not initial inflation.

jeffstevens763@g 22 December 2015 06:13

ive got the bravo 2 spot on but either will be ok pre-set pressure simple.

cheers

Fenlander 22 December 2015 06:49

The Bravo 2 has about 2.5x the flow rate of the 1 so that's really where the extra money goes between them.

The Sevylor looks a bargain... no experience though. Perhaps you should be the forum tester?

I bought a Bravo manual HP footpump this year that's better than any previous footpump I've used (inc Zodiac OE with new boats). I am sensitive to the racket the Bravo elec HP pumps make and if we're in a quiet location populated with others enjoying the coast I'll avoid the elec pump.

willk 22 December 2015 06:55

I've been using a Bravo 2 (digital) for a couple of seasons on both SIB & RIB with no issues. The non-digital version you show may be better in practice because the pressure change function on the digital is a faff. The Bravo 2 is a much faster unit than the others as it uses a fan to quickly fill the tubes with air under minimal pressure before switching to a piston to pressurise them. I suspect that breakages are connected to "misuse" - sand and dust ingress, overheating (20 min max) and water.

Next year I'm going to make a half decent box for mine, so that it can operate without being dragged around outside.

Stigomery 22 December 2015 07:10

I might give the Sevylor a go although at 190 l/minute it's far from Bravo 2 territory... There's also the Rule which does high volume/low pressure very fast (550 l/min but only 3 PSI)... I simply fail to see how these things cost upwards of 100... you can get a high pressure pump for your car tyres for about 14 (that goes to 100 PSI!!!) and a low pressure, high volume pump for about 10 for airbeds and the like... combining them costs 4x the price (for a valve and a tiny microprocessor)???

Just found this: Guide

jeffstevens763@g 22 December 2015 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stigomery (Post 702189)
I might give the Sevylor a go although at 190 l/minute it's far from Bravo 2 territory... There's also the Rule which does high volume/low pressure very fast (550 l/min but only 3 PSI)... I simply fail to see how these things cost upwards of 100... you can get a high pressure pump for your car tyres for about 14 (that goes to 100 PSI!!!) and a low pressure, high volume pump for about 10 for airbeds and the like... combining them costs 4x the price (for a valve and a tiny microprocessor)???

Just found this: Guide

i bought a rule and it burnt out in 10 mins mandraulic pumps are ok and cheap.you could buy a cheap air bed pump and top up with the manual pump to keep costs down.

Sutty 22 December 2015 07:41

I have used a Rule one for the last 4 years with no problems. Earlier this year I purchased a Bravo 2 pump believing it would give a better pressure than the Rule and found that it did not so just took it back saying it was not fit for purpose. :rofl::rofl:

willk 22 December 2015 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutty (Post 702192)
I have used a Rule one for the last 4 years with no problems. Earlier this year I purchased a Bravo 2 pump believing it would give a better pressure than the Rule and found that it did not so just took it back saying it was not fit for purpose. :rofl::rofl:

Must have been a faulty unit? Mine pumps my floor to 11psi without any fuss.

Sutty 22 December 2015 08:37

mmmmmm, Perhaps my tubes are too big? I notice in the link that was just provided that the Bravo 2 is only suitable for RIBS up to 6m. Must get a smaller RIB:dance::dance: