RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Engines & props (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/)
-   -   Running-in (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/running-in-65757.html)

HughN 04 December 2014 06:36

Running-in

Over the last few weeks I've stripped-down and rebuilt the powerhead of my old Yamaha 30 (the same engine as the '689' Mariner version). Amongst the many new bits are new pistons and rings, running in newly-honed cylinders.

I was amazed when it started first time, ran quietly and smoke-free (even though I have halved the fuel:oil ratio). In fact, people will probably start saying "Ooh, my sewing machine runs as well as Hugh's engine"! :) )

The next step is running it in. I plan to run it carefully for about six hours, building up the RPM gradually during this time and not running at the same RPM for more than a minute or so. Does this sound about right?

(I am going to stick a piece of paper on the stern with 'Running-in. Please pass' written on it in Biro™...)

Cheers,

Hugh

dave3235 04 December 2014 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughN (Post 658307)
Over the last few weeks I've stripped-down and rebuilt the powerhead of my old Yamaha 30 (the same engine as the '689' Mariner version). Amongst the many new bits are new pistons and rings, running in newly-honed cylinders.

I was amazed when it started first time, ran quietly and smoke-free (even though I have halved the fuel:oil ratio). In fact, people will probably start saying "Ooh, my sewing machine runs as well as Hugh's engine"! :) )

The next step is running it in. I plan to run it carefully for about six hours, building up the RPM gradually during this time and not running at the same RPM for more than a minute or so. Does this sound about right?

(I am going to stick a piece of paper on the stern with 'Running-in. Please pass' written on it in Biro™...)

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi hugh

I would look online for correct run in procedures for this engine to eliminate guess work,a digital tach would be ideal.:dance:

9D280 04 December 2014 07:15

Try

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

- that's where I found the procedure for running in the Merc after I did much the same thing......

Failing that, I have a Mariner Clymer that may help, if you get stuck let me know the year of your engine & I'll see if the manual covers it.

Maximus 04 December 2014 08:02

I know the old Mercs,and Yams I had and even e-tec recommended a little more oil in the mix when running in... Surely better to add a bit than hold back??

HughN 04 December 2014 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximus (Post 658316)
I know the old Mercs,and Yams I had and even e-tec recommended a little more oil in the mix when running in... Surely better to add a bit than hold back??

That's what I did. It is supposed to run at 100:1 but I halved the ratio to 50:1 (i.e, doubled the oil) :)

A1an 04 December 2014 11:29

Personally, I'd just use it as normal taking care not to labour it or rev its nuts off.

There are a million and one "correct procedures" out there for running in an engine.

HughN 04 December 2014 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9D280 (Post 658311)
Try

Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years!

- that's where I found the procedure for running in the Merc after I did much the same thing......

Failing that, I have a Mariner Clymer that may help, if you get stuck let me know the year of your engine & I'll see if the manual covers it.

Thank you. I'll do some digging...

dave3235 06 December 2014 12:53

User manual will have the info in

9D280 10 December 2014 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1an (Post 658334)
Personally, I'd just use it as normal taking care not to labour it or rev its nuts off.

There are a million and one "correct procedures" out there for running in an engine.

I suppose those procedures are maybe more important to be adhered to if you have warranty to worry about. :)

I just reckoned if I could find the appropriate one, then it would presumably be designed for my particular engine and be most appropriate. One thing is for sure with 2- strokes - doubling the oil for the first X hours is almost guaranteed!

uncle al 10 December 2014 07:27

If it was my engine ,I would run it on a 50:1 mix all the time. as for running it in ,
Dont over rev it,
Dont let it labour
Dont rev it up over 1,200 rpm out of gear.