RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   McMillan donor RIB (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/mcmillan-donor-rib-65656.html)

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:09

McMillan donor RIB

2 Attachment(s)
A new refurb thread !

Here is the McMillan donor RIB nov 2011Attachment 101024Attachment 101025

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:14

Apart from stripping the electronics (sold one / scrapped the other) this has sat (covered) for basically 12 months.

The tubes are excellent. Virtually immaculate, although after 12 months a bit grubby.

For those that weren't about a year ago, a recap:

I bought (made a donation) to the McMillan fund for this hull almost exactly a year ago. The engine and trailer were both excellent and fitted to the McMillan SR5.4 which we sold at SBS 2014.

This 1990's Southampton built ribtec 535 had a bodged up transom and a badly repaired deck but not beyond saving.

I've quite a backlog of projects and hope this will be a rapid turn around.

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:21

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 101030

A Frame off.
Console out.

Here's the deck. You can just about make out the badly repaired deck/hull join around the front 1/3rd - 1/2 of the deck

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:23

1 Attachment(s)
Deck up (it's in two pieces and perfectly dry)

Attachment 101031

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:27

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 101032

Bare hull.

All very solid in here. It's a completely sealed compartment and bone dry.

The underside of the plywood deck had been resin coated and I was pleasantly surprised the ply is 100% solid (it's 20 years old remember) and really no reason not to refit !

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:32

1 Attachment(s)
The boatbuilder doing the work commented the layup used is extremely strong using a weave Matt as well as CSM. That's beyond my knowledge but can report more if people are interested.

He reinforced internally behind the top chine where the deck sits. This is badly cracked and badly repaired on the outside.

We flipped the hull over.Attachment 101035

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:35

Then this afternoon they have lightly ground out the previously repaired / cracked port chine and repaired with an epoxy filer.

On close inspection the stbd chine is suffering in an identical location in an identical way. Also ground out with a die grinder and epoxy filled.

(Sorry no photos of this yet)

Daniel 24 November 2014 16:41

I must add I can't take any credit for this.

Apart from hired muscle pulling up the deck and flipping over the boat my shipwrite friends / colleagues / neighbours at Ramsgae are doing the work.

I now need to make a decision. Opinions invited but need to decide in next 12 hours and work commences at 9am !!

The hull appears to be previously painted. Possibly from new.

The chine repairs will be obvious. We could flo-coat, and live with them.

Or shall we rub down whole hull & key up and 2-pack paint ?

Perhaps antifoul the hull ?

I really can't decide.

biffer 24 November 2014 23:55

Do the repairs as best you can then have a good look at it, my personal opinion would be paint at the last result

Sent from my iPad using RIB Net

Daniel 25 November 2014 04:15

Hey biff. Do you mean last resort, IE explore all other options first?

Thks for input.