RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Disabled Ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/disabled-ribbing-6284.html)

brucehawsker 20 September 2004 12:47

Disabled Ribbing

Been chatting with a mate of mine who is in a wheel chair with MS. Used to do winsurfing, water and snow skiing to high level. Am thinking of inviting him to join me on the rib sometime over the winter. Am I mad? Is there any organisation which does this professionally. Any advice? Do I need to inform anyone of the trip?

Cheers

Bruce

DaggerUK 20 September 2004 12:58

No its a great idea.. I take a friend out with a similar condition. There are some difficulties.

1/ It's hard to get into and out of the boat. Depending on the condition the person may be able to help, otherwise you have to carry them which can be very difficult.

2/ The person may not be able to hold on very tightly. On a jockey especially although it supports the person well, they can fall out to the sides. Getting the leg over the jockey seat can also be interesting.

However its always very satisfying for all people involved.

brucehawsker 20 September 2004 13:00

Getting on and off

He can haul himself into and out of his Golf and stow his wheel chair in the boot. He drives everywhere.

Challenge will be getting wheelchair down the pontoon to the ideal location then we will have fun getting him into the boat. Getting out when wet could be even more fun!!

The Jackeens 20 September 2004 13:03

What a great plan Bruce. Good for you and your mate.

If you want a buddy boat for extra reassurance, give us a shout.

missus

brucehawsker 20 September 2004 13:06

Thanks

Buddy boat sounds great. Will let you know when we plan the trip.

I go to Fareham Wednesday to see 'Far Fetched' for the first time. Delivery / sea trial late next week. Counting the days.....

Cheers

Bruce

You don't happen to own one of those mini JCBs to act as a lift for my friend John ;) - although I doubt Lymington Harbour Master would approve of one on his pontoon!

The Jackeens 20 September 2004 13:10

I go to Fareham Wednesday to see 'Far Fetched' for the first time. Delivery / sea trial late next week. Counting the days

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations!!!! Give us a shout and we'll go along and admire the new baby...

As for your friend a few of us could get together and help.

missus

ashbypower 20 September 2004 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucehawsker
He can haul himself into and out of his Golf and stow his wheel chair in the boot. He drives everywhere.

Challenge will be getting wheelchair down the pontoon to the ideal location then we will have fun getting him into the boat. Getting out when wet could be even more fun!!

Hi, May I respectfully suggest that for the first time/roughish weather you choose somewhere with a sea wall i.e Lymington town quay /Christchurch quomps so that it's hard "Standing" then it's a matter of onto the wall from the chair then ito the boat.

Which ever way you go "Good on yer" go for it. ;)

Regards

Brian

brucehawsker 20 September 2004 13:19

Sailability

I have been challenged by the RYA Sailabilty concept which is great for a certain type of disabled person. But what about someone who was very active / wants to continue be very active, and finds the idea of Ribbing suitably exciting?

Could we not think about setting up something eqivalent but based on power not sail? There must be sponsorship / granting out there??

The Jackeens 20 September 2004 13:21

Talk to some of the Powerboat Schools Bruce. Some of them have ability / capability/expertise in this area...the forum instructors may have some ideas.
I really support what you're saying.

missus

brucehawsker 20 September 2004 13:24

Poerboat Schools

Love to talk to them for their experience.

But they are commercial operations. Surely they would have to charge - and they are not cheap. Many of the disabled people we (my wife and I) come across are living essentially on benefit....

I envisage something very low priced indeed....

A pipe dream??