RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Electrics and electronics (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/)
-   -   FM aerial recommendation (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/fm-aerial-recommendation-62589.html)

matt h 29 May 2014 16:33

FM aerial recommendation

Guys. Im putting a fusion radio on my rib which will also have a garmin 100 vhf radio. Do you use a seperate aerial or do you use a splitter and just use the single aeriel.?
Will it lose any transmit/receive quality if i used a single whippy?

boristhebold 30 May 2014 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt h (Post 622147)
Guys. Im putting a fusion radio on my rib which will also have a garmin 100 vhf radio. Do you use a seperate aerial or do you use a splitter and just use the single aeriel.?

Ive just done a similar thing but also installed a AIS system. There are splitters available which will cope with all but it may be a case of you get what you pay for.

As I installed a Raymarine AIS 650 system I also installed the Raymarine AIS 100 Splitter, with a 1.2M long GRP Shakespeare VHF Antanae on a ratchet mount attached to top of A Frame. The AIS Splitter has wires for a FM signal and passes the VHF signal to VHF and signal for the AIS unit to recive and transmit.

My set-up works very well it seems, put it this way my Rib was recently on my drive which is about 15 miles away due north of the coast and I was picking up the small boat channel in poole harbour while also listening to FM radio, clear sound.

So I guess it depends on your aerial and the splitter perhaps. But it is doable and works.

PeterM 30 May 2014 06:15

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt h (Post 622147)

You'll get nothing from one of these ....

matt h 30 May 2014 14:23

Ha Ha brilliant.. you bloody nobber!! do some verk!

whisper 30 May 2014 14:25

Can you use a ribbon aerial inside the console?

matt h 30 May 2014 14:31

Possibly .. worth a thought.. will do some more home work, by the sounds of it and before i get any more interference i may need to get a good quality FM airy hole

ashbypower 30 May 2014 14:49

Matt, forget spiltters they are the design of the devil, why place another failure point in your all important VHF !"! We have connected out Lowrance sonic hub to the S/S windscreen frame, works great really strong signals..

matt h 30 May 2014 15:00

Hey that's an idea. i didn't like the idea of splitters really. on the front i have a U shaped grab rail, so what your saying is tap of the back of the securing bolt on the inside.. bit like we used to do in the 70s with a coat hanger!!:D

ashbypower 30 May 2014 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt h (Post 622334)
Hey that's an idea. i didn't like the idea of splitters really. on the front i have a U shaped grab rail, so what your saying is tap of the back of the securing bolt on the inside.. bit like we used to do in the 70s with a coat hanger!!:D

In One !!!:thumbs::thumbs: