RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Electrics and electronics (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/)
-   -   DIY Bluetooth Fuel Manager (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/diy-bluetooth-fuel-manager-62155.html)

MaleBuffy 09 May 2014 14:41

DIY Bluetooth Fuel Manager

Hello,

I have recently started a project of a DIY Flowscan that uses Bluetooth technology and an Android phone, you guys might be interested in.

Everything started when I was looking to buy one, but was put off when I saw the price tag.

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I can start contributing to the community.

I have all the Info on my blog so that you can follow the project (which is neer the end) or start making your own.

I am of course open for suggestions! :cool:

Brian 10 May 2014 02:13

Good luck with your project MaleBuffy.
I think you could be on a winner!

HughN 10 May 2014 03:34

Cool. :thumbs:

I used that very same sensor for my non-bluetooth / app version (here)

It works really well (the sensor, that is!).

Hugh

Pikey Dave 10 May 2014 03:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaleBuffy (Post 617292)
Hello,

I have recently started a project of a DIY Flowscan that uses Bluetooth technology and an Android phone, you guys might be interested in.

Everything started when I was looking to buy one, but was put off when I saw the price tag.

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I can start contributing to the community.

I have all the Info on my blog so that you can follow the project (which is neer the end) or start making your own.

I am of course open for suggestions! :cool:

Hello & welcome to Ribnet.
Interesting project. I've just had a quick read of your blog & one thing that springs to mind is; be careful of introducing anything that can restrict the fuel flow to the engine. If you starve the engine, you can get overheat problems & powerhead damage, especially on 2 strokes.

MaleBuffy 10 May 2014 07:58

Nice to hear that the sensor works well.

MaleBuffy 10 May 2014 08:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikey Dave (Post 617369)
Hello & welcome to Ribnet.
Interesting project. I've just had a quick read of your blog & one thing that springs to mind is; be careful of introducing anything that can restrict the fuel flow to the engine. If you starve the engine, you can get overheat problems & powerhead damage, especially on 2 strokes.

Hi thanks for the tip. This is the reason I bought 3 different sensors.

The first was to small 3mm nozzle. The last one (fs-3400ah) is 6mm which is enough.

Simon666 12 May 2014 19:12

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Very interesting reading.
I might give it a try but have never played with a arduino before so it will be a big hurdle for me.
So which flowmeter did you end up using on your Tohatsu 140? I have a Suzuki 140 4 stroke.
Do the flow meters come pre calibrated?

MaleBuffy 12 May 2014 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon666 (Post 618044)
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Very interesting reading.
I might give it a try but have never played with a arduino before so it will be a big hurdle for me.
So which flowmeter did you end up using on your Tohatsu 140? I have a Suzuki 140 4 stroke.
Do the flow meters come pre calibrated?

Hi, I used the Sensor from Futurlec. Its the cheapest and does the job.
They are pre calibrated, the Arduino does the job of calculating flow.

Dont worry about the Arduino. Its very easy to use and due to its popularity, there is tons of info on the net.

My design is also a "no solder", which makes it very easy to build.

If you eventually try it and need help, just message me.

HughN 13 May 2014 01:25

By the way, the threaded connections on the second Flo-tech sensor have parallel threads rather than tapered threads. An O-ring or lots of PTFE (to make an artifical taper) is required to get a good seal. The other issue is the threads undoing as the fuel hose moves! ;)

MaleBuffy 13 May 2014 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughN (Post 618068)
By the way, the threaded connections on the second Flo-tech sensor have parallel threads rather than tapered threads. An O-ring or lots of PTFE (to make an artifical taper) is required to get a good seal. The other issue is the threads undoing as the fuel hose moves! ;)

With the the FS-3400AH, since a horizontal mount of the sensor is a requirement (-+30 degrees),you cannot tolerate fuel hose movement.

You must somehow keep the hose stable.

Of course, one cannot expect to just connect the hose to the sensor without securing it in some way.