RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs (http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/)
-   -   SIB fiberglass hull protector (http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/sib-fiberglass-hull-protector-60543.html)

Jimblob 11 February 2014 07:49

SIB fiberglass hull protector

hi all,

Have enjoyed reading about the dimpled hull designs in another thread....classic.

Has anyone has ever made a fibreglass hull add-on for a zodiac SIB?

I keep a 4m zodiac SIB down in devon for pottering about in summer....the time has come to relocate the boat to london for thames use ...

Issue: Thames is peppered with flotsam and jestam...sometimes huge semi-submerged branches.

Do you think it would be possible to inflate the boat...fibreglass a hull onto the bottom with an overlapping section at the bow and transom?

this could effectively act as a 'clip-on' hull and protect the boat for river use (think mobile phone protector)... When deflated i would have a large fibreglass shell to deal with but thats easilly stored compared to a full boat...
is it a crazy idea?...

many thanks

Locozodiac 11 February 2014 08:10

Welcome to Ribnet.

It's quite possible, will need to make a underneth mold out of fiberglass that includes side and upper tubes, bow, keel till transom end and secure with side belts to upper sib. You can patent it latter...

Cracy ideas is the mother of invention, that's how man flew...

Happy Boating

willk 11 February 2014 08:14

I think that you're trying to reinvent the RIB :)

Jimblob 11 February 2014 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locozodiac (Post 600287)
Welcome to Ribnet.

It's quite possible, will need to make a underneth mold out of fiberglass that includes side and upper tubes, bow, keel till transom end and secure with side belts to upper sib. You can patent it latter...

Cracy ideas is the mother of invention, that's how man flew...

Happy Boating

Thanks Locozodiac....im thinking straps are a good idea...probably incorporate them into the glass.

Not sure how thick hull would need to be or how it might be possible to build the hull in separate sections...for easy storage.

Glad to know there are still some likeminded bodgers out there....

MustRib 11 February 2014 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimblob (Post 600282)
hi all,
Has anyone has ever made a fibreglass hull add-on for a zodiac SIB?

I keep a 4m zodiac SIB down in devon for pottering about in summer....the time has come to relocate the boat to london for thames use ...

Issue: Thames is peppered with flotsam and jestam...sometimes huge semi-submerged branches.

Do you think it would be possible to inflate the boat...fibreglass a hull onto the bottom with an overlapping section at the bow and transom?

this could effectively act as a 'clip-on' hull and protect the boat for river use (think mobile phone protector)... When deflated i would have a large fibreglass shell to deal with but thats easilly stored compared to a full boat...
is it a crazy idea?...

many thanks

hmmm - sounds like a RIB to me :whistling:
although for semi submerged branches I think you need something beefier than fibreglass !

Locozodiac 13 February 2014 11:29

Jimblob,

I like to experiment cracy and sometimes out of this world weird ideas. You'll need at least a one piece 5 mm fiberglass snap on hull for rigidity to stand water impact and direct hits. Or even a hard plastic hull, ideal a kevlar or carbon fiber hull.

Was thinking near same for my 380 sib, but have moved already to a 420 rib....

Happy Boating