RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   So where's best for a retube? Help. (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/so-wheres-best-for-a-retube-help-55826.html)

HUMBER P4VWL 12 June 2013 02:59

So where's best for a retube? Help.

I've heard good things re Henshaws but where else or which manufacturer would you use and most importantly why?

Ideally i think we want a re-tube and hull scrub to remove 5yrs of anti foul over winter. No real need for perfection glass polished finish as it'll be AF'd again. Also need new jockey seat and back rest pads.

Can you rip off existing handles and or rubbing strake and re use on new tubes?

we put thick rubbing strake material underneath the tubes at the back to stop the barnacles wrecking the hypalon. I think it was too much weight and now it feels like they drag dropping our speed massively. You can see the excess spray at the back at speed. That combined with a hull that's been anti fouled 5 times our WOT is 37mph. It was 51mph when we first got it. :(

Poly 12 June 2013 04:05

Henshaws (Christopher on here)
RibShop
Tidel (Paul Tilley on here)

all have a good reputation, and are or have been trade members on here.

There are some "up norf*" too - Eurocraft and SIS. Humber will of course retube.

RibRaff (Ed Carter) has also done work for people on here - I *think* he works on more of a freelance basis that the others who are businesses with teams of people. When busy he can apparently be hard to track down.

* norf is relative as its souf of here - but probaly less towing for you than Devon

GordyP 12 June 2013 04:15

Henshaws did a grand job for me, were honest about lead in times etc.

HUMBER P4VWL 12 June 2013 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poly (Post 545242)
Henshaws (Christopher on here)
RibShop
Tidel (Paul Tilley on here)

all have a good reputation, and are or have been trade members on here.

There are some "up norf*" too - Eurocraft and SIS. Humber will of course retube.

RibRaff (Ed Carter) has also done work for people on here - I *think* he works on more of a freelance basis that the others who are businesses with teams of people. When busy he can apparently be hard to track down.

* norf is relative as its souf of here - but probaly less towing for you than Devon

Cheers poly, got a few months to research and get quotes.

HUMBER P4VWL 12 June 2013 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordyP (Post 545248)
Henshaws did a grand job for me, were honest about lead in times etc.

When did you get it done?

Got any pics please?

willk 12 June 2013 04:37

H-P, do you really need a retube? How old are they?

Pikey Dave 12 June 2013 05:51

Mick recently had Bouncer retubed at Henshaws, I think he was pleased with the job they did, worth dropping him a PM.

HUMBER P4VWL 12 June 2013 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by willk (Post 545256)
H-P, do you really need a retube? How old are they?

The ends seem to be sagging and dragging in the water. Tops and sides etc are fine. A little faded but not bad.

Not sure what else to do? ....

Rogue Wave 12 June 2013 06:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL (Post 545224)
I've heard good things re Henshaws but where else or which manufacturer would you use and most importantly why?

Can you rip off existing handles and or rubbing strake and re use on new tubes?

:(

Henshaws are fine. Eurocraft (SIT) (I think they are different companies but some of Eurocrafts talent set up SIT). are ok but I always use Paul Tilley He's very good and cares about his customers and he's a man you can trust.

in thory yes you can but it will need to be reprepped and will always look older than thee tubes. Few retubers would want to do it as its going to make their work look iffy

[QUOTE=HUMBER P4VWL;545224Ideally i think we want a re-tube and hull scrub to remove 5yrs of anti foul over winter. No real need for perfection glass polished finish as it'll be AF'd again. Also need new jockey seat and back rest pads.

Do you Know DM hes very good at sorting that out failing that Mike at Osprey

QUOTE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL (Post 545224)
we put thick rubbing strake material underneath the tubes at the back to stop the barnacles wrecking the hypalon. . :(

Some people coat the underside of the tubes with Marge or dripping as that prevents the barnacles from forming. Somebody will probably be along to correct me and tell you it's Tripe ;) but its that kinds stuff definitely not butter

Poly 12 June 2013 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Wave (Post 545281)
Somebody will probably be along to correct me and tell you it's Tripe ;) but its that kinds stuff definitely not butter

You'd never get tripe to stick