RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Engines & props (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/)
-   -   Feels like Christmas! Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke! (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/feels-like-christmas-tohatsu-9-8-2-stroke-55152.html)

Glow 14 May 2013 14:21

Feels like Christmas! Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke!

Just put a deposit on the above, it's a 2013 brand new motor, I am picking it up om Friday!:dance:

Looking forward to giving it a run, is there anything I should be looking for in particular when I collect. It comes with paperwork, not sure on the warranty situation as I am obviously not the first purchaser or a commercial user..

Thanks in advance for any info :)

willk 14 May 2013 14:29

Nice one.

If it has done less than 10hrs, you need to run it on 25:1 - 50:1 thereafter. They don't need much choke in general - none in hot weather.

You have no warranty, but chances are - you wouldn't need it anyway.

I have a 2006 - they're the bee's knees...

Downhilldai 14 May 2013 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glow (Post 537486)
Just put a deposit on the above, it's a 2013 brand new motor, I am picking it up om Friday!:dance:

Looking forward to giving it a run, is there anything I should be looking for in particular when I collect. It comes with paperwork, not sure on the warranty situation as I am obviously not the first purchaser or a commercial user..

Thanks in advance for any info :)

Something doesn't ring true here. :ermm:

willk 14 May 2013 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downhilldai (Post 537491)
Something doesn't ring true here. :ermm:

Well, of course it could be true. There are ways to import them - all dodgy mind. Possibly signed off for fishing or racing - either way, not for resale and no warranty. Still, if he gets one and uses it for 10 hours a year, I won't shop him to the EPA :lol:

Glow 14 May 2013 14:34

I am told it was purchased by a commercial user, who didnt have enough money to pay for some works. He gave the motor to the contractor as payment.

Glow 14 May 2013 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by willk (Post 537494)
Well, of course it could be true. There are ways to import them - all dodgy mind. Possibly signed off for fishing or racing - either way, not for resale and no warranty. Still, if he gets one and uses it for 10 hours a year, I won't shop him to the EPA :lol:

Ha after messing around with smaller motors for the last few years, I am hoping to get my ten hours in this year.;)

Glow 14 May 2013 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by willk (Post 537490)
Nice one.

If it has done less than 10hrs, you need to run it on 25:1 - 50:1 thereafter. They don't need much choke in general - none in hot weather.

You have no warranty, but chances are - you wouldn't need it anyway.

I have a 2006 - they're the bee's knees...

Thanks for the info, I will keep you posted. Now, I may just need a bigger boat!:whistling:

willk 14 May 2013 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glow (Post 537502)
Thanks for the info, I will keep you posted. Now, I may just need a bigger boat!:whistling:

If the current boat is between 2.7 and 3.1m then I'd say you have it right with the 9.8hp. Any bigger and you're going up a notch...

Glow 14 May 2013 15:27

It's a 2.9 Mailspeed Airdeck, grass is always greener I guess.

Downhilldai 14 May 2013 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glow (Post 537495)
I am told it was purchased by a commercial user, who didnt have enough money to pay for some works. He gave the motor to the contractor as payment.

^^
This is where things would appear to have strayed from legality.