RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   RIB transom stress fractures - cause for concern? (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/rib-transom-stress-fractures-cause-for-concern-55027.html)

ddd333 08 May 2013 21:39

RIB transom stress fractures - cause for concern?

3 Attachment(s)
I noticed the other day I have some hair line stress fractures on
either side of the outboard. My AB rib is only rated for 75hp but
currently has 90hp. Should I be concerned at this stage? Or is this
quite common and just something I should keep an eye on but not
worry about much? Do you guys suggest I gel coat over the cracks
to prevent water getting inside?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

henryfreston 09 May 2013 01:36

I would be concerned. Considering you are 15hp over the max allowance and it is a 4 stroke. The transom is obviously under too much strain.

Poly 09 May 2013 02:24

much has been discussed on transom cracks in the past. Those look like proper cracks rather than suface crazing (there is some of that too). In which case they need repairing properly: grind our old gel, make sure material underneath is sound and dry. Consider reinforcing. Repair gel.

Unless you do something to beef it up / reduce load then it will happen again with the new gel.

Dirk Diggler 09 May 2013 02:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by henryfreston (Post 535360)
I would be concerned. Considering you are 15hp over the max allowance and it is a 4 stroke. The transom is obviously under too much strain.

lol, so it's a bit like a sell by date on a packet of sausages, eat by the 27th coz on the 28th they'll poison you!:)

the transom requirements for a 75, 90 or even a 200 hp motor are the same, if it's showing signs of letting go, it's because it wasn't built that well, not because it has a slightly bigger motor than it's rated for.

matt h 09 May 2013 02:38

I wouldnt be happy with that , as the boys say, get it looked at cos it aint right! Send me ya engine and will give you 2000 for it !!

thomas 09 May 2013 02:41

If you are worried then find a friendly surveyor with a thermal imaging camera - that will show up and serious concerns, on here you'll just get opinions as no one can really see whats under the gel.

willk 09 May 2013 03:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler (Post 535369)
lol, so it's a bit like a sell by date on a packet of sausages, eat by the 27th coz on the 28th they'll poison you!:)

I'd REALLY enjoy listening to you explain to Mrs willk why that isn't true...

:rofl:

Dirk Diggler 09 May 2013 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by willk (Post 535390)
I'd REALLY enjoy listening to you explain to Mrs willk why that isn't true...

:rofl:

yeh, tell me about it. My wife can be a couple of hours doing the supermarket shopping, just coz she like to check sell by dates, and of course contents.

simon23 09 May 2013 13:37

Is the transom designed to carry the weight of a outboard or the thrust of a outboard.if its the later you should only run at 5/6 revs and it should be fine

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Rib.net

Erin 09 May 2013 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas (Post 535376)
a thermal imaging camera - that will show up and serious concerns,

Explain please. How does cracking give a thermal signature?