RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBnet North America (http://www.rib.net/forum/f45/)
-   -   Can someone please explain the advantage of a RIB over a conventional boat. (http://www.rib.net/forum/f45/can-someone-please-explain-the-advantage-of-a-rib-over-a-conventional-boat-54416.html)

zip 10 April 2013 18:39

Can someone please explain the advantage of a RIB over a conventional boat.

I still I can't figure it out.

I know they are much cooler looking, and appear to be twice the price, but I guess I am not really sure what the tubes actually do.

I currently own a 9 foot SIB, 9.5 foot RIB, and a 14 foot RIB.

I am getting ready to upsize from my 14 footer to a 7-8.5 meter boat.

On my boats, the tubes appear to always be in the water. On the 8.5 I looked at recently, the tubes aren't touching the water.

Are the tubes on the little boats for floatation, and on the bigger boats for high speed turns?

The 14 footer is great in the bay and harbor, but when I get about 20 or so miles of shore it can get a little sporty if I get stuck in a small craft advisory, so I am looking for a bigger boat to go out in the ocean.

I'm still arm wrestling with myself over that big price tag. I can get a Boston Whaler for 1/2 the price, so I guess I am just wondering why go with the rib?

I appreciate all constructive advice.

Thanks.

thomas 11 April 2013 00:58

Stability

two stroke mick 11 April 2013 03:35

1) A rib by design will float if it become flooded with water. If the engine is reunning the majority of the water will flow over the transom and the remainer will go out of the trunks. This simaly will not happen with a convential boat.

2) The tubes act as stablisers when being driven thus the nose of the boat stays in the general direction that you want.

3) They are very easy to get in and out of for the purposes of water sports.

I believe that lots of people have ribs when a hard boat would suit their needs better. They are cramped, Thay have F all deck space for a given lenght, they are exepnsive.

In short

Ribs are good for water sports, being out in rougher conditions than you would be in a simalirly sized hard boat and the small ones i.e. sub 5.5m are great for visiting beaches

TSM

thomas 11 April 2013 04:07

..... there're lighter too so tend to be quicker and more economical.

jyasaki 11 April 2013 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by two stroke mick (Post 528693)
2) The tubes act as stablisers when being driven thus the nose of the boat stays in the general direction that you want.

Not sure about this one. Most RIB's at speed won't have much of the tube in the water (if at all.)

RIB's generally have a much higher load bearing capacity than a similar sized and weighted hard boat.

Stability at rest is much better.

Assuming tubes are intact, they are about impossible to sink (not that you can't get into trouble from water ingress, but it'll stay afloat.)

Generally lighter weight means a smaller motor can be used, yielding a higher efficiency than a similar sized hard boat.

If you're looking at a BW Montauk, be aware that they beat the crap out of you in chop. The cathedral hull tends to pound in the short stuff.

jky

zip 11 April 2013 21:43

great info. thanks.
still not real clear, but definitely helps.

lukewhiting 12 April 2013 01:41

Id go for a boston whaler! Youve already got 3 ribs. Boston whalers are incredibly stable & virtually unsinkable thanks the hull & still fast.

But it all depends on your uses for the boat.

Starovich 12 April 2013 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukewhiting (Post 528920)
Boston whalers are incredibly stable & virtually unsinkable thanks the hull & still fast.

and rubbish in any sea (wide ass hull that gives the stability, also slams like a bitch in any waves)

Like you say tho depends on uses and location

neil.mccrirrick 12 April 2013 08:54

Get a Rib and all your Rib type questions will be answered here. That may not seem like a deal breaker, but when summat goes wrong, for me this should come into it :)

Put it another way have you posted the same question on another forum?

Nos4r2 12 April 2013 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukewhiting (Post 528920)
Id go for a boston whaler! Youve already got 3 ribs. Boston whalers are incredibly stable & virtually unsinkable thanks the hull & still fast.

But it all depends on your uses for the boat.

An utter nightmare when the foam inside gets waterlogged too.