RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   IRPCS should have gone to specsavers! (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/irpcs-should-have-gone-to-specsavers-54046.html)

wavelength 23 March 2013 10:04

IRPCS should have gone to specsavers!

Looks like someone asleep at the wheel here, if in fact he is near the wheel at all. Don't ever rely on the other guy to do the right thing!
If its been posted before well c'est la vie----first time I've seen it.
Fishing Vessel hits large Sailing Vessel in Good Visibility 20/8/2010 - YouTube

mick 23 March 2013 10:33

Wow they were brave to keep filming

Pikey Dave 23 March 2013 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavelength (Post 524475)
Looks like someone asleep at the wheel here, if in fact he is near the wheel at all. Don't ever rely on the other guy to do the right thing!

He was probably too busy checking his charts & chronometer:whistling:

tony t 23 March 2013 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikey Dave (Post 524502)

What you mean he has no iPhone :D

lakelandterrier 23 March 2013 12:44

But the the sailing vessel seemed to blindly stay on her course and take no avoiding action.
Was the fsihing boat trawling? if so I'd keep clear as a matter of course

tonto 23 March 2013 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pikey Dave (Post 524502)

Nahhhh. His chartplotter/GPS didnt show the sailing boat so it didnt exist! He was looking at the idiot machine and not out the window!

However, the fishing boat was not fishing at that speed, and he didnt have the fishing shapes up. (that I could see) Still the IIRPCS require that the sailing vessel needed to take action when it became apparent the other vessel was not going to.

Still no excuse! on both parts.

willk 23 March 2013 13:10

"I say! Don't you realise that we're SAILING!" :bang:

Tonto is right of course - while the fishing boat was obviously in the wrong, it was fairly clear that, like Missus T, it wasn't for turning. The skipper of the SV was tooting like a good one for long enough and most likely could have done something to avoid the collision - I didn't SEE much evidence of that. Sail or no, who would "insist" a trawler stop trawling while they pootle in front of it? If the sailing skipper had been keeping a good watch, it would have been fairly clear that a collision was a possibility. If the VHF didn't get the trawler's attention then it was time to come up with Plan B - and I wouldn't call tooting a Plan B :rolleyes:

Let's face it, this "accident" happened at 8 knots - there would have been time to consider the options.

ALANT 23 March 2013 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick (Post 524479)
Wow they were brave to keep filming

Or STUPID

Best bit it looks like a sail training vessel :rofl:

wavelength 23 March 2013 13:31

Quote:

who would "insist" a trawler stop trawling while they pootle in front of it?
he wasnt fishing and wasnt showing fishing daymark (which is remarkable in itself as our locals still have them up when the ship is outa the water for painting!) and the court findings on the press release confirm that. B**** ghost ship going home on auto pilot wi nobody at the helm, and there's a lot of them about :(
Yes skipper of sailing vessel has some blame in that he should have used common sense and good seamanship to avoid a collision with a pillock but be fair he was the obvious "stand on" (with caution) vessel.

Will75 23 March 2013 14:31

The SV was REQUIRED to STAND ON and maintain course and speed until such time as it was obvious that a collision was unavoidable. (There is some interesting Admiralty court rulings in Cockroft et al on the actual timings for this). When this time came he would have had only one option, to make a bold alteration to starboard. I am not a WAFI so this is out of my area, but I suspect a bold alteration of course on a SV of that size would not be as straightforward as it sounds.