RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Engines & props (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/)
-   -   Fuel Bladders? (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/fuel-bladders-53102.html)

whisper 31 January 2013 10:18

Fuel Bladders?

Are fuel bladders repairable? I have a bow tank that has a pin hole in it. Can it be patched the same as a rib repair?

Tim M 31 January 2013 10:38

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago. I've got an RNLI type which is leaking. At some point I need to take it over to Ribshop where I'm hoping they'll be able to fix it.

m chappelow 01 February 2013 10:52

As Tim M was saying it came up on a thread a few weeks back , looks as though a few of us have the same problem .

A lot depends on the material used if its Urathane there are some repair kits out there for repairing racing car & aircraft bladders ( though not found a uk supplier yet )goes under the name of FS -RKU fuel safe in the US.
I was speaking to a guy in our boat club about my Rnli sausage bladder , he had spent some time in the military & was saying that they had repair kits but they were only for emergency & were ok for about a month or so ,
Think the most common bow bladders are zodiac ones so they may know but doubt it as they will want to sell you a new one .
In a worst case scenario could you push a stainless or brass nut & bolt with a couple of fibre washers and blank the hole off that way though you would need to get the bolt inside , most zodiac bags have a long filler tube so getting a bolt inside may be hard .

m chappelow 05 February 2013 03:48

Just had a word with Seaflex the company who make the fuel bladders for the RNLi & there is no specific type of repair kit available for Polyurathane holding fuel as they are welded seams .

whisper 05 February 2013 03:50

Oh well :(

it was a nice one too....

jyasaki 05 February 2013 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by m chappelow (Post 514843)
Just had a word with Seaflex the company who make the fuel bladders for the RNLi & there is no specific type of repair kit available for Polyurathane holding fuel as they are welded seams .

Is the leak at a seam? Wouldn't a bit of surface prep and a glob of PU adhesive/sealant do the trick? Not like it's being subjected to pressure like a RIB tube is.

jky

whisper 05 February 2013 11:21

Well I have a really nice bow bladder here if anyone can repair it?

m chappelow 05 February 2013 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by whisper (Post 514918)

Might take you up on that we could do with a duff after after its been cleaned out of petrol fumes one for our fundraising display d class when it's on public display ,, supermarkets & schools don't like the idea of petrol in their buildings ,

PeterM 05 February 2013 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by whisper (Post 514918)

Have you tried repairing it yourself ? Nothing to loose !!

AJ. 05 February 2013 12:26

Can't you use one of the little whispers to keep there finger over the hole! Dude there has got to be some strong adhesive you could use rather than chuck an expensive fuel bladder