RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Yellow Buoys in Osborne Bay (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/yellow-buoys-in-osborne-bay-49936.html)

JABS 07 August 2012 06:36

Yellow Buoys in Osborne Bay

Does anyone know why yellow buoys have been laid in Osborne bay and by whom???

Tony.

boristhebold 07 August 2012 07:06

I don;t know for certain but I think perhaps it's as a result of the fact the Beach at Osbourne House is now open to the public so perhaps they are markers for keeping boats x number of feet/metres away from the beach. Just a guess

JABS 07 August 2012 07:08

So who is allowed to do that.

I haven't seen it in any Notices?

Surely there is a process to go through?

Are 'they' trying to restrict anchoring?

Max... 07 August 2012 07:08

Locally on the East Sussex coast these usually indicate (as above) the 'exclusion zone' from other water users, ie no powered boats within the buoys - if using a powered boat you must go 'straight' out to beyond the buoys on the way sticking to 8 kts or less.

JABS 07 August 2012 07:18

My point is to ask who has the authority to restrict access to part of the bay?

I thought there were laws about coastlines and access??

Surely ownership only goes as far as the low water mark?

ribber 07 August 2012 08:23

This is going to be an interesting debate from all boat users. I see the 'sailors' are in full flow Today at Osborne bay - Yachting and Boating World Forums one even suggesting the yellow buoys are to keep the RIBS at bay with their excessive speeding :whistling:

Perhaps the yellow buoys are there to protect the swimmers from constant flushing of the heads when 'sailors' are at lunch for 4 hours at anchor ;)

Whatever our needs, environmental or intrusion, I'm glad to see that we are all concerned about the need to know what authority 'they' have in restricting use of our coast line, yet again.

:popcorn:

wellhouse 07 August 2012 08:47

at highcliffe/mudeford area, it's a 8knot zone inside the yellow buoys, maybe it's the same at osborne.

A1an 07 August 2012 09:37

Is there not enough of the sea to play in?

Dhf 07 August 2012 10:43

Looks like a sea grass conservation zone then, we've got a few round here, with no yellow marker buoys though, just marked areas on a free local water guide, the wafi's cause most damage with there heavy anchoring chain ripping the grass up as they swing.
I think Sea grass areas need looking after though.

PeterM 07 August 2012 11:03

Interesting ...I 'think' they have or are in the process of removing the volutary no anchor zone in Studland bay as they have found no eveidence of the damage to the grass...

Dont quote me on this - just think I heard it somewhere....

Sounds like they could be a little over keen on stopping people come onto the beach, doesn't sound like the 'normal' yellows demarking the speed limit zones on most beaches down this way.