RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Do you need a trim gauge? (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/do-you-need-a-trim-gauge-49512.html)

thomas 17 July 2012 04:25

Do you need a trim gauge?

I'm fitting a new console with a Smartcraft gauge which means to use my trim gauge I either need to buy a new sender and gauge or run a single wire from my old sender to the console and use the old gauge.

Once you know your boat do you tend to go by how it feels and trim accordingly or get on the plane and set the trim by the gauge to where you always put it.

I guess I'm being a little lazy and want to keep my console as tidy as I can.

Carl 17 July 2012 04:28

i dont think you do

Channel Ribs 17 July 2012 04:57

Absolutely not, it is too easy to become obsessed with trimming the engine so the gauge reads what you think is right. Trimming by feel for best ride comfort and safety does not require a dial.

steco1958 17 July 2012 04:59

The trim gauge is just an easy indication, you do not need one, you can tell by the noise of the engine and the feel.

I have a gauge on console, however I don't always use it.

Steve

Jizm 17 July 2012 05:02

Trim gauge on a smaller boat is maybe a bit more relevant when you have an out drive you can't readily see.

mitchc 17 July 2012 05:31

I turned the trim pop up off on my smartcraft gauges. When I moved the engine to suit the conditions it "popped" up on the tachometer and made me look what had changed (it normally displays engine temp) distracting me from the job in hand!
Definitely don't need it with an outboard as what worked one day probably won't be ok the next and a visual check over the shoulder is probably more effective. Maybe useful with an out drive but again no two days/trips are alike. With a little experience and training/advice you can feel where the engine should be.

Just my thoughts.....

mitchc 17 July 2012 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas
I'm fitting a new console with a Smartcraft gauge which means to use my trim gauge I either need to buy a new sender and gauge or run a single wire from my old sender to the console and use the old gauge.

Thomas,
Be happy to be proved wrong, bit i think if you've got a smart craft engine, the trim signal comes through the can bus wiring to the dials so no need for extra wiring...

thomas 17 July 2012 05:50

You can display the trim on the main gauge but need a digital sender plus I'd rather display fuel info than trim.

Thanks for the replies, exactly what I wanted to hear, am probably going to bin the fuel gauge too as the needle bounces about like it should be on a mixing desk.

Jizm 17 July 2012 06:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomas
You can display the trim on the main gauge but need a digital sender plus I'd rather display fuel info than trim.

Thanks for the replies, exactly what I wanted to hear, am probably going to bin the fuel gauge too as the needle bounces about like it should be on a mixing desk.

Mercury do gauges that plug into the Smartcraft stuff such as fuel and trim. May be worth looking at.

John Kennett 17 July 2012 07:43

I think that a trim gauge is useful as I like to see how different amounts of trim affect the ride. Unfortunately, in my experience they generally only work for about two weeks then just take up console space!