RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Electrics and electronics (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/)
-   -   Electric trolling 'devices' (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/electric-trolling-devices-49182.html)

jambo 03 July 2012 11:43

Electric trolling 'devices'

I admit not to knowing to much about these in relation to their capabilities. Can someone please enlighten me are they any good for say short tendering from shore to mooring or are they no good against wind & tide?:popcorn:

Nos4r2 03 July 2012 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambo (Post 472820)
I admit not to knowing to much about these in relation to their capabilities. Can someone please enlighten me are they any good for say short tendering from shore to mooring or are they no good against wind & tide?:popcorn:

Oars are more powerful and probably weigh less than the battery you'll have to carry ;)

jyasaki 03 July 2012 12:29

Trolling motor? I've seen guys fishing nearshore with these; for getting to/from a moored boat, they're probably fine; but as Nos said, oars are a lot cheaper and less complicated.

jky

hadd 03 July 2012 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambo (Post 472820)

It would be ok to use one on a small tender billy i used one on a 4.3 quicksilver rib when :fishing:& it was no good abit of wind & i was going backwards :eek:

jambo 03 July 2012 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by hadd (Post 472849)
It would be ok to use one on a small tender billy i used one on a 4.3 quicksilver rib when :fishing:& it was no good abit of wind & i was going backwards :eek:

Tx Andy I kinda thought that so it is a no go as we do get some windy days in the 'west'.
Cheers
have a good wend

awa154 21 July 2012 04:56

I have a 44lb thrust electric outboard on my 9' inflatable. It has 5 forward and 3 reverse speeds.

I use it on our hydrodam lakes. On calm waters, it goes ok. Speeds 1 &2 are very slow, 3 is good for trolling, about a brisk walking pace. 4 is about a jogging pace. 5th, it leaves a wake behind the inflatable and purrs along quite nicely.( in calm waters)

Unfortunately, 5th draws twice the amperage from the battery that 4th does. With the 100amp hour battery, I would get about 3 hours running using the 5th speed setting.

The motor manufacturers tell you, you can run a battery down by 80%. The battery makers say never draw off more than 50%, or the battery will pack up quickly. The battery, I use weighs 22kg. (48lb). The motor 7.4kg.

On the open lake in windy conditions with a good choppy surface, I need 5th to get anywhere. Infact I can row as quick as the motor will push, into a steady wind, ( maybe, not for as long tho)

I am going to replace it with a 2.5hp outboard. This will push the boat far faster than the electric motor, and a 4.5litre fuel can weighs a hellva' lot less than a deep cycle battery.

Been an interesting learning curve tho, The electric motor has some good points, I just haven't found them yet.

Dhf 21 July 2012 05:55

Why not build your own, Okay this guy may be a little crazy in his way, but what a clever engineer, I think there's a positive future with electric motorised devises these days, with battery teck improvements over the years, It's a matter of having the right combo, gel batteries would work better I reckon.

The SUPER GNARLY 4.75 hp electric outboard motor ~ ANGLE GRINDER ~ outboard conversion - YouTube

Here's a better set up.
The 30 hp Aquawatt - the world's most powerful electric outboard motor - Image 1 of 6

If they could get the price lower I think they'd sell more of these.

Torqeedo Electric Outboard Engines | Electric Motors from Torqeedo

Nos4r2 21 July 2012 06:02

Gel batteries will just wear out very fast-they really aren't built for this kind of thing. .

Poly 21 July 2012 11:04

Jambo - by "Electric trolling 'devices'" - were you referring to this thread? http://www.rib.net/forum/f51/gone-very-quiet-49573.html I suppose its just the same - entertaining for a short while, but after a little of regular interaction soon becomes frustrating and eventually will end up getting locked away and never used!

jambo 21 July 2012 12:13

Hi poly I took inboard all the xdvise on here and others. Decided it was not for me finished up buying a second hand 3.3 Mariner.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net