RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Engines & props (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/)
-   -   Engine Counter (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/engine-counter-4765.html)

Bajan 04 May 2004 09:34

Engine Counter

Hello all!
Could someone clarify a confusing point for me? What does the engine counter measure? I thought it was hours running, but it doesn't match the time I've been running the boat for that day...or is it faulty?

Many thanks!

Alan 04 May 2004 10:26

most seem to be wired in so that as soon as the ignition is on the counter runs. So if you leave ignition on but engine off then your counter ticks merrily away!

Robert1 04 May 2004 13:31

This is a very long shot..but is there a way to see if you have an engine counter? I only have two gauges on my RIB, tachometer and fuel gauge. Is the engine counter under the cowling?

Thanks
Robert

Bajan 04 May 2004 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert1
This is a very long shot..but is there a way to see if you have an engine counter? I only have two gauges on my RIB, tachometer and fuel gauge. Is the engine counter under the cowling?

Thanks
Robert

Hi Robert!
Yes it is located under the cowling. Mine is a Mariner and is on the port side. I would guess that it wouldn't be much different on other makes.

Alan!
I don't usually have the ignition on for any longer than the engine so it shouldn't differ much.

Many thanks.

Robert1 04 May 2004 13:49

Hi Bajan!
Thats good...Mercury and Mariner are the same engines so hopefully I will have one too, although your 90 is a larger block than my 60. What does it look like - is it obvious, like yellow or orange, or am I going to really have to look for it?

Thanks

tue 04 May 2004 14:14

To the best of my knowledge I didn't think engines had a counter as standard!!! It is an optional extra. Bajan is yours a Quicksilver engine monitor with the digital reading that shows revs when engine is running?

DJL 04 May 2004 15:00

There’s no counter under the cowling of the Mercury F60 EFI. You either need to get Smart Craft gauges or hook the engine up to a computer. Or just wait until you get it serviced, you will be given a printout of hours done at each RPM range

Robert1 04 May 2004 15:51

Daniel,
On an unrelated topic, how far out do you trim your engine when on the plane? I am getting spray at the transom and many have suggested trimming out would solve the problem. However, I don't know how far 'out' trimmed out actually is!
Apologies to Bajan for the digress,
Thanks,
Robert

Bajan 04 May 2004 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tue
To the best of my knowledge I didn't think engines had a counter as standard!!! It is an optional extra. Bajan is yours a Quicksilver engine monitor with the digital reading that shows revs when engine is running?

Tue!
Not as far as I know. It's a standard counter similar to the counter you see for an electricity meter or an old style odometer with 4 black numbers and two red numbers.

Robert!
No problem, digress away!

Anyone have any clues for me re: what the counter measures?

Robert1 04 May 2004 16:58

Maybe it isnt an engine counter? Anything else it could be?

Edit: Sorry, just read your post properly Bajan, you already asked this!