RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Electrics and electronics (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/)
-   -   Android apps (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/android-apps-42940.html)

kerlstone 18 July 2011 10:19

Android apps

Hi there, looking for some advice, Ive just ordered a new phone, HTC desire hd, I wonder has anyone got one? any good, and any advice on good apps for it. Thanks, Gerry.

Pikey Dave 18 July 2011 10:50

I don't know about Android, but I have the Navionics app on my ibone & it's worth every penny of the tenner I paid for it.

jyasaki 18 July 2011 21:10

I've got the HTC Inspire, but no usable marine apps. Will be watching this thread with interest.

jky

kedzior 19 July 2011 00:08

I've got Nexus S with Android. Downloaded Navionics charts for Baltic recently, but I had no opportunity to test it in action yet. Seems to be ok, but I think it should have more options and better interface.
It generally seems to be doing what it should as a standard tool. I'm still awaiting for better alternatives.

jokaboat 19 July 2011 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kedzior (Post 411356)
I've got Nexus S with Android. Downloaded Navionics charts for Baltic recently, but I had no opportunity to test it in action yet. Seems to be ok, but I think it should have more options and better interface.
It generally seems to be doing what it should as a standard tool. I'm still awaiting for better alternatives.

Navionics are good for planning

Mobile gribs good for weather planning

Tide 7 - good for tides

Anchor watch

Boat log

Ship finder is a good AIS app

Like all smart phones though the gps gobbles the battery and don't let it get wet :facepalm:

jyasaki 19 July 2011 10:29

Quote:

Anchor watch
Is this an anchor alarm type thing? Set it once you're on the hook and it warns when you stray outside a designated circle?

jky

kedzior 20 July 2011 10:06

I got Aquapac for my phone, gps and display always on drains battery too fast - but I would treat it more like backup to normal plotter.
You may end up aground because of flat battery = no charts and without possibility to call for help because of flat battery.
I wont rely solely on smartphone.

jokaboat 20 July 2011 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyasaki (Post 411444)
Is this an anchor alarm type thing? Set it once you're on the hook and it warns when you stray outside a designated circle?

jky

Yep, and if you pay out 1 it will send a text as well ;)

jokaboat 20 July 2011 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by kedzior (Post 411638)
You may end up aground because of flat battery = no charts and without possibility to call for help because of flat battery.
I wont rely solely on smartphone.

Absolutely right. It's good for planning or as backup, get a 12v power cord though :whistling:

kedzior 20 July 2011 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokaboat

Absolutely right. It's good for planning or as backup, get a 12v power cord though :whistling:

It wont come through aquapac. BTW Is there option to edit WPT in the middle of route? Its bit ridiculous if you have to delete all Wpts up to place you want to alter and make all the next ones from begining.