RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Attention all AVON-pro's; What kind of RIB I got here...? (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/attention-all-avon-pros-what-kind-of-rib-i-got-here-42645.html)

TheMadMariner 04 July 2011 11:30

Attention all AVON-pro's; What kind of RIB I got here...?

5 Attachment(s)
I'm currently working on one of these, but I don't know much about it. I can't anything on the boat which provides me any info about brand, weight, engine size etc. I'm almost sure it's an Avon, but does anybody know which type and from what year?
More importantly; are the tubes made of Hypalon or some kind of PVC material?

Some distinctive features:
- It appears it had a orange cloth stretched at the front of the boat, more commonly seen on some inflatables. (this cloth was obviously cut by some retard)
- The end of both tubes are pointy, and the air-valves are sunken in the tubes.
- The stainless frame at the transom appears to a later add-on, but the boat allows for a construction of that shape.
- Pretty deep-V hull design for this size of RIB (in my opinion)

Some pictures below which hopefully will explain a lot more:

TheMadMariner 05 July 2011 06:56

Any takers.....?

95gstnj 06 July 2011 00:18

definitely looks like an avon to me. They stopped using the covered bow late 80's (i think) Based on this, the tubes should be hypalon. Look on the underside of the orange flap of whats left of the bow dodger, if it is black on the underside it is most likely hypalon. I know this holds true for older zodiacs, but not sure about avon. The valves look like avons as well, but i've never seen them sunken in like that. Also, it looks like solas tape on the tube? maybe the boat was used as a lifeboat on a cruise ship or ferry.

Neil Harvey 06 July 2011 04:53

looks like an Avon Searider to me, probably the 5.4m version.
Flooding hull appears to have been blocked, and transom looks odd, so maybe it is a replacement.

The blocks on the deck at the stern that the a-frame bolts to should have stainless bars going direct to the transom for strength and support. I'm not sure the current set-up is really sufficient.

Normally max engine size is 90hp, but some were apparently rated to 115.

Do a search on here for loads of info on Seariders. If it is indeed a searider, it will be hypalon.

LyamGalpin 06 July 2011 05:53

I agree that it's quite possibly a SeaRider.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net

Dry Run 06 July 2011 06:25

1 Attachment(s)
I'm no expert (as you know), but I don't think it is a 5.4m Sea Rider. If you look at the attached photo of the transom / hull of a 5.4m Sea Rider you will see that the "V" shape of the SR is deeper (IMHO) and the inner chines appear more pronounced and there is a larger "flat" area where the tubes meet the hull. Sorry that doesn't help much with your question - I'll have a look around the Dry Stack and see if I can find a RIB with a similar profile and if so I'll post a pic. Good Luck

Nasher 06 July 2011 06:41

The tubes and cut off bow dodger do look very Avon and searider like, but I agree the hull shape looks wrong.

The shallower 'V', small Chines, and shape where the tubes meet the hull reminds me of a Flatacraft, but I'm not sure past that.

Question is of course, does it matter what it is?
Apart from insuring it of course.

Nasher.

Neil Harvey 07 July 2011 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Run (Post 409419)
I'm no expert (as you know), but I don't think it is a 5.4m Sea Rider. If you look at the attached photo of the transom / hull of a 5.4m Sea Rider you will see that the "V" shape of the SR is deeper (IMHO) and the inner chines appear more pronounced and there is a larger "flat" area where the tubes meet the hull. Sorry that doesn't help much with your question - I'll have a look around the Dry Stack and see if I can find a RIB with a similar profile and if so I'll post a pic. Good Luck

you're right... now i see that pic, add it to the wrong transom, maybe it's not a SR.

C-NUMB 08 July 2011 14:34

Little of the original topic but there is one odd detail on the picture "Dry Run" attached. The port side lowest chine is not symmetrical(it does not follow a straight line, but kind of bends close to the transom). On mine it is doing the same, i taught it was only a badly done repair
but maybe it is a feature in the hull. Anyone knows something about this?

chewy 08 July 2011 15:54

1 Attachment(s)
How long is the RIB, if its around the 4m mark its definately a 4m Avon Searider.