RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Electrics and electronics (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/)
-   -   Garmin AIS600 Error Message (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/garmin-ais600-error-message-40474.html)

martini 17 March 2011 16:29

Garmin AIS600 Error Message

I don't suppose anyone else has got one here but:

The led indicators on the unit are all unlit except for the "error" led.

Plugged into the laptop with the units setup software and run the diagnostics, it tells me "antenna VSWR exceeds limit".

TX led is unlit but the vessel's still showing up on www.marinetraffic.com

:]
Garmin will be getting back to me before next wednesday apparently :sick:

karlT 17 March 2011 16:51

Definitely TX'ing showing on www.digimap.je too.

Have you found some new estuary to get your boat into the middle of St Brelade ? That should confuse a few of the local ships. =)

karlT 17 March 2011 16:54

Out of Range

and now 2 mins later you are apparently out of range on digimap and have subsequently disappeared back into stealth mode ???

Erin 17 March 2011 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by martini (Post 393045)
it tells me "antenna VSWR exceeds limit".

Oooh dear. All that lovely expensive new coax painstakingly fed under the deck must have an impedance mismatch with your super duper new aerial. One or other will have to be changed :eek:. Bagsy I have the redundant aerial seeing as that is the easier bit to change :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlT (Post 393050)
and now 2 mins later you are apparently out of range on digimap and have subsequently disappeared back into stealth mode ???

Too many electronics on board. Batteries gone flat.

willk 17 March 2011 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin (Post 393051)
All that lovely expensive new coax painstakingly fed under the deck

Expensive fish wire you mean - new cable is cheaper than a new antenna - hands off!

Erin 17 March 2011 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by willk (Post 393054)
Expensive fish wire you mean -

You didn't see the holes in his deck to get the new wire through. Could've saved a fortune by only buying half the length... by the time he'd finished pulling it'd stretched enough to go there and back :eek:

martini 17 March 2011 17:45

Hands orf :devil:

I'm sure there's another solution, might fall inside GJ0KYZ's area of expertise.

She's turned off now as it's not in use, as per the instructions of Jersey Coastguard :rolleyes:

Channel Ribs 18 March 2011 03:11

You will have tried plugging in a non-bespoke antenna for comparison, but it makes me feel better to type it. :(

martini 18 March 2011 09:17

First job when this rain stops!

I fired up the unit prior to inputting the mmsi which meant it was running in receive only mode and it was ok then, no error, so I'm thinking its the unit.

Having lots of trouble getting the laptop to see the 600 as well, takes several attempts to connect.

Erin 18 March 2011 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by martini (Post 393138)
Having lots of trouble getting the laptop to see the 600 as well, takes several attempts to connect.

Damn imacs :D