RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Electrics and electronics (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/)
-   -   Smartcraft- Thick owner (http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/smartcraft-thick-owner-40348.html)

Kernow Buoy 11 March 2011 14:06

Smartcraft- Thick owner

So, new smartcraft tacho & speedo come with engine, then see a smartcraft system monitor on ebay with 10 starting price and no reserve, I get it for the tenner and lo and behold it works, bargain! :thumbs:
cut all 3 into console, looks good, go to make connections, canbus from engine to 4 way junction box, tacho to junction box, speedo to junction box, system monitor to junction box, all fine except for the terminal resistor still sat in its packet with nowhere for it to be plugged in! :sick:
I assume I must still use that resistor even if all sockets are in use on the junction box? If so is there a way of combining either the tacho & speedo or tacho & system monitor? Or am i going shopping for a 6 way junction box?

Turbodiesel 11 March 2011 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernow (Post 392138)
So, new smartcraft tacho & speedo come with engine, then see a smartcraft system monitor on ebay with 10 starting price and no reserve, I get it for the tenner and lo and behold it works, bargain! :thumbs:
cut all 3 into console, looks good, go to make connections, canbus from engine to 4 way junction box, tacho to junction box, speedo to junction box, system monitor to junction box, all fine except for the terminal resistor still sat in its packet with nowhere for it to be plugged in! :sick:
I assume I must still use that resistor even if all sockets are in use on the junction box? If so is there a way of combining either the tacho & speedo or tacho & system monitor? Or am i going shopping for a 6 way junction box?

6 way junction box!:)

Kernow Buoy 11 March 2011 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbodiesel (Post 392151)
6 way junction box!:)

Ah, will add that to my shopping list then, I'll probably add 2 new smartcraft gauge looms too in view of your advice!
Haven't been to Looe for years, seems I'll be a regular visitor now :thumbs:

martini 12 March 2011 02:09

Or you could get another main trunk canbus with a resistor built in.

'Swot I did :thumbs:

I have a few Smartcraft related leftovers if you need stuff

Turbodiesel 14 March 2011 07:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by martini (Post 392171)
Or you could get another main trunk canbus with a resistor built in.

'Swot I did :thumbs:

I have a few Smartcraft related leftovers if you need stuff

Cheaper for a new junction box!

martini 14 March 2011 07:13

Fitted my new N2K smartcraft gauge at the weekend, I'll let you know what happens when I power it up!

Downhilldai 14 March 2011 07:48

Does your existing blue canbus cable have a resisttor on each end?

martini 14 March 2011 08:24

If you're fitting a system monitor then you could've done away with the other two gauges but since the jigsaw's been out to play already then a six way box is the next cheapest option as TD says. I think they're quite cheap come to think of it. I've just checked my spares and I've got two boxes but they're both four way.

But as DHD is suggesting, worth having a quick check to make sure you haven't got a resistor in both ends of the main trunk. It should have at least one at the engine end.

Kernow Buoy 21 March 2011 08:32

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, so here I am sat on the boat and with my new iPhone app running :-)
Hopefully I've just attached a pic showing the junction box end of the blue canbus wire clearly marked 'termination resistor this end', does that mean it needs one or it's got one?

Kernow Buoy 21 March 2011 08:42

The app works then :thumbs:
That smiley actually comes up as a real smiley on the app as well!
Next question, coming out of that canbus are 2 wires, a purple one and a brown and blue one , I'm guessing these are for the alarm and trim perhaps? I've got everything else working but no alarm beep when I switch on the ignition (assume that happens) and no response to trim/tilt switch on the throttle but working on the engine.