RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Monoculars (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/monoculars-33924.html)

Nos4r2 17 January 2010 05:25

Monoculars
 
Anyuone got any recommendations for a waterproof monocular? It's going to be left onboard so I don't want to be spending more than about 50 quid.

I'm guessing the biggest objective lens possible will be an advantage?

So far I'm thinking of either:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Visionary-M-10...item518e5f0516

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mystery-Super-...efbf39158#shId

or (because it's got an inbuilt compass)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-8X42...item4a9dccf6cc

Poly 17 January 2010 08:03

What's the benefit of mono over bi for this sort of application?

When I bought my bins for the boat a WAFI suggested to me that I shouldn't go above about 7x mag as keeping anything more powerful fixed on one point of interest was too difficult if it was less than flat calm.

I think that larger objective lens is always better (unless weight or size is a critical parameter).

Will you use the compass feature - how much traditional nav do you still do?

SPR 17 January 2010 08:22

7 x10 mononular, pocket size cost around 10 - 15 is all I carry, very handy compact. And as polwart says right magnification for sea use.

I will dig out link if your interested.

S.

Nos4r2 17 January 2010 08:35

I'm thinking mono over bi because it's smaller to stow and you only need one hand to steady it.

I doubt I'd use the compass feature often but it would be useful in an emergency.

Nos4r2 17 January 2010 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPR (Post 335320)
7 x10 mononular, pocket size cost around 10 - 15 is all I carry, very handy compact. And as polwart says right magnification for sea use.

I will dig out link if your interested.

S.

Yes please :thumbs:

J S 17 January 2010 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nos4r2 (Post 335322)
I'm thinking mono over bi because it's smaller to stow and you only need one hand to steady it.

I doubt I'd use the compass feature often but it would be useful in an emergency.

I think the only good thing about the compass is it allows you to pass it to someone else and tell them to look at a certain bearing when looking at something of interest. But not really necessary.

James

Razorbill RIBs 17 January 2010 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by J S (Post 335325)
I think the only good thing about the compass is it allows you to pass it to someone else and tell them to look at a certain bearing when looking at something of interest. But not really necessary.

James

What James said...Year before last we had a nice Minke sighting out at sea...was difficult to 'pick up' as they don't vent like other whales so no visible spout....the bins had compass and enabled them to be passed around for the others to see...... "thar she blows" or not....

Not neccesary, but can be useful IMO.

Dan

SPR 17 January 2010 09:39

I was wrong

8 x 21mm Gelert

Similar to the ones found

http://www.gelert.com/products/Scenic_Monocular.aspx

Cheap and cheer full but does the job and do you care if they get damaged, i have a set similar attached to my safety belt.

S.

Nos4r2 17 January 2010 14:18

Cheers SPR.

How hard is it to keep the image stable when you're moving around?

SPR 17 January 2010 15:39

the size makes it ideal, not heavy, fits nicely in hand (fist)....at the price they are you cant lose.

if you google you will find them cheaper than 9.99....other brands are available.

Great thing if you like them you can buy a set for your crew!

S.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.