RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Old Spice's dirty bottom... (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/old-spices-dirty-bottom-33270.html)

Hightower 18 November 2009 13:43

Old Spice's dirty bottom...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 326882)
I'll be along trying to hide in the back of one of Tim M's ribs :-)

So Wheres Old Spice then? A Christmas cruise without the old girl won't be the same.

Jimbo 19 November 2009 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hightower (Post 326890)
So Wheres Old Spice then? A Christmas cruise without the old girl won't be the same.

Still in Haslar Marina. The engine suffered a catastrophic failure a while back - to quote the mechanic "she ran away with herself, sucking in fuel and air like crazy, and was doing about 14,000RPM when she failed."

I've found another Mermaid engine for a good price, but the trouble is for a credit crunch strapped freelance instructor, a good price is only good if you have the money in the bank!

Oh well, Adrenaline Sailing and it's former owner Dr Smith are in court with me next week, if I win that one, it's new engine here we come :D

biffer 19 November 2009 02:46

jimbo, i'm interested in what caused your old girl to run away so to speak, i've had the same on a yamaha 240 sti and found that we had blown the turbo, it ran flat out on engine oil

Downhilldai 19 November 2009 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 326973)
"she ran away with herself, sucking in fuel and air like crazy, and was doing about 14,000RPM when she failed."

How fast was she going at the time? :)

Jimbo 20 November 2009 01:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffer (Post 326984)
jimbo, i'm interested in what caused your old girl to run away so to speak, i've had the same on a yamaha 240 sti and found that we had blown the turbo, it ran flat out on engine oil

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. This was a little while ago, and somebody else was using her at the time - Tim M may be able to shed some light on it as he is the one that liased with the mechanics. I do know that the turbo was ruined in the process.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downhilldai (Post 326987)
How fast was she going at the time? :)

Again not a clue - she used to do 29kts flat out with that propellor - and tended to be run fairly flat out.

Rogue Wave 20 November 2009 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo (Post 327128)
I do know that the turbo was ruined in the process.

Bummer. That turbo isn't a special mermaid turbo. The lump is essentially from a ford d300 7.5t truck. Apart from the marinisation components and mayne hardened rocker stuff and valves I suspect everything else engine wise (inc Turbo) would be available from a truck breaker at a lot cheaper priice than marine sources.

LURCHER 20 November 2009 10:56

1 Attachment(s)
It will need more than Three Wise Men to get Old Spice going by then , when I pulled her out at Camber she looked like the Great Barrier reef and there was even a tiny lobster in the exhaust port !

matt h 20 November 2009 10:58

Blimey Lurcher, Me Tinks you might be out with out with the jet washer this weekend!!:D

Nasher 20 November 2009 11:02

She was sat on her trailer a few weeks ago when we launched at the camber for the SR cruise, and had already been cleaned off.

It's a bit sad that you let her get so bad Jimbo.

Nasher.

Carl 20 November 2009 11:21

pete will be turning in his bunk =)