RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Engines & props (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/)
-   -   Evinrude but no Johnson (http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/evinrude-but-no-johnson-32757.html)

The Beard 18 October 2009 21:18

Evinrude but no Johnson
 
I understand that Evinrude now only make 2-stroke motors and that Johnson don't make anything. It strikes me as odd that they should leave themselves with a big hole at the bottom end of the market, now partially filled by the new 25 and 30hp models. I think Johnson used to make some 4-strokes, especially in the low powered end and it does seem odd that BRP should let their competitors stitch up the 2 - 20hp sector. There still seem to be quite a few of this kind of Johnson outboard on 2nd hand boats so I'm assuming they are quite a good unit.

I wonder why the company has let this end of things go as there seem to be a hell of a lot of small engines being bought and it also means that if you have an Evinrude motor on your boat but want a small auxiliary then you have to go elsewhere, whereas all the other makers seem to have a complete range.

Is there no money to be made down there? I think some of the "names" actually have these small motors made by other firms.

Enlighten me please.

Locozodiac 19 October 2009 11:36

For what have heard, the idea is to turn small portable 2 strokes models into Etecs in the long run and stay with those highly commercial, so not have so many HP close to each other.

Happy Boating

Downhilldai 19 October 2009 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Beard (Post 321749)

I think some of the "names" actually have these small motors made by other firms.

Enlighten me please.

The small 4-stroke Johnsons are Soozooks in white paint with yank stickers.
Older 4-stroke Evinrudes were also Soozooks.
:thumbs:

Chris 19 October 2009 15:10

There is a smaller 10/15hp e-tec on the cards however I don't think we will see it for at least 18 mths

matt h 19 October 2009 16:24

looking at all the above info, what a bastardised (not sure about the spelling) engine, Chris, when you gonna buy a proper engine, with a bit of pedigree??:D=)

something lile a yam 90 or optimax!!

Locozodiac 19 October 2009 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 321900)
There is a smaller 10/15hp e-tec on the cards however I don't think we will see it for at least 18 mths

The smallest ones you can buy right now are 25 & 30 HP Etec's, probably will see 5/10/15 in near future.

Happy Boating

Cookee 20 October 2009 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downhilldai (Post 321883)
The small 4-stroke Johnsons are Soozooks in white paint with yank stickers.
Older 4-stroke Evinrudes were also Soozooks.
:thumbs:

:thumbs: I know for a fact the Johnson and Suzuki 140 four strokes are identical

Chris 20 October 2009 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt h (Post 321920)
looking at all the above info, what a bastardised (not sure about the spelling) engine, Chris, when you gonna buy a proper engine, with a bit of pedigree??:D=)

something lile a yam 90 or optimax!!

Hmmm there are 3 blown Optis on a pallet in my boat shed at the moment waiting to be broken for parts. Think I might give the Opti a miss :thumbs:

BTW if anyone needs any Opti parts then I am well be able to help!

As for a Yamaha 90 coal fired eco disaster I will leave that to those of you who seem to be stuck in the 90's :whistle:

The Beard 20 October 2009 12:51

Thanks for your replies Chaps (and Chapesses?). The possiblity of a 15/20 hp (and smaller)motor makes sense as there seem to be an awful lot of these types advertised in the magazines. I did wonder whether the cost of developing an outboard that sells for hundreds instead of thousands is probably not a lot less than for the bigger ones so sharing between manufacturers makes sense. After all, the Cummins B series bears more than a passing resemblance to the similar size IVECO and Vauxhall/Opel/Saab/Cadillac use the 1.3, 1.9 and 2.0 FIAT diesels and Alfa Romeo use the 2.2 and 3.2 GM petrol engines so it makes sense I suppose.

What perhaps surprised me was that seeing that Evinrude is part of Bombardier and they make quite a few 4 stroke engines, they didn't take the chance to do a Mercury/Mariner and have both 2 and 4 stroke motors, for instance with Evinrude doing the 2 strokes and Johnson the 4s.

There is a display ad. in some of the boat magazines for Sorcerer boats which shows a RIB with a big white Johnson (oo-er Missus) which bears more than a passing resemblance to a Suzuki so that sounds about right.

Downhilldai 20 October 2009 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Beard (Post 322106)

What perhaps surprised me was that seeing that Evinrude is part of Bombardier and they make quite a few 4 stroke engines, they didn't take the chance to do a Mercury/Mariner and have both 2 and 4 stroke motors, for instance with Evinrude doing the 2 strokes and Johnson the 4s.

Are you suggesting that Mariner and Mercury make all their own engines?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.