RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   depressed (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/depressed-2994.html)

gaelforce 29 September 2003 07:54

depressed

It's dark now at half-seven. Went for a swim, chilly edge on the water. Even the mackerel are moving out. Wrong side of equinox. Spring seems a long way off. 'touch of ground frost' says the weatherman. Wish someone would tow these islands about 200 miles south. it's too damn cold. where did i leave that rope?

MeMe 29 September 2003 08:43

I've got your rope and am baout to use it !

I know what you mean however, we went out this weekend (see Cruising - A Quick Jaunt) and had a blast. Yea it was a bit chilly but nothing that a hot flask of baileys coffee and a thick jumper didn't sort out.

In fact I'm quite looking forward to getting MeMe out on the water during those cold months leading upto Christmas. I've found you can get the odd really nice day when the sea flattens right off to glass and the clouds clear to reveal the sun, which, reflects off the water and is as toasty as summer ( well spring at least).

Ian - Jono, if you listening ! Why not plan an Abersoch Cruz between Xmas and New Year. We 3, Phil my pal in his Caribe etc, there's 5 boats already ?

Over to you Ian.

houser 29 September 2003 12:13

cabin ribs... ,-)

Well,

I am a few miles north of you..and in short...that is why I am looking for a cabin rib...with heating...and the archipelago is really beutiful this time of year...I am sure it's the same off Ireland..

get a cabin instead of a rope?

a heater instead of a knife?

some nice spirits instead of those pills?

Oh and while we are at it...see what happens when you live where it is too warm...all food, wavejumping and a lazy life that surely can't be good for you.
Culture and temperament is bred where the brain is kept cool.. ;-)
I am sure James Joyce would have gone wavejumping instead of writing if he had had the chance...

take care
jtm

wavelength 29 September 2003 17:01

winters ok so long as you're dressed for it and you've got a purpose - me I'll be chasing the cod when I'm not out earning a crust. So winters good-but summer is a damn sight better;)

The Jackeens 30 September 2003 00:47

Re: depressed

Quote:

Originally posted by gaelforce
It's dark now at half-seven. Went for a swim, chilly edge on the water. Even the mackerel are moving out. Wrong side of equinox. Spring seems a long way off. 'touch of ground frost' says the weatherman. Wish someone would tow these islands about 200 miles south. it's too damn cold. where did i leave that rope?
Cheer up GF. In no time at all the swallows will be back in Cork.

missus:(

Garygee 30 September 2003 02:14

Hi folks

Ah yes Winter, thats when it get nice & quiet out on the water with everyone else on hard standing and the RIBS that plan to run 12 months still out on those great flat calm but cold winter days :p

Out of interest who does use thier RIB all 12 months ?.
I do for starters.

Regards Garys

gingercoastie 30 September 2003 03:01

I certainly plan to carry on using mine throughout the winter months.

There doesn't seem to be that big a difference between the seasons these days.

Also the slips are less cluttered and not so many rag and stick brigade out and about.

whitingiom 30 September 2003 03:14

Mine stays in 12 months. The great dinghy safety boat season is upon us.

Our hardy rag & stickies keep going every Sunday from November to March on a reservoir. Although there is a club safety boat, I often take mine up as well to

a) give it a run

b) as it's freshwater it cleans out any deposits left from the sea trips

c) give my nipper a chance to practice his slow speed handling etc.

There is also the chance of those beautiful days (like last Sunday) when you can see the Lake District, Mull of Galloway lighthouse and the coast of Ireland around Carlingford from the Rock. Unfortunately I was doing a sponsored walk at the time!

mstacey 30 September 2003 05:59

Boats being serviced and then wrapped up for winter so ...

I'm of to Munich for the Oktoberfest Beer Festival :) :) :) :) :)

Followed next week by a fortnight in the Canary Islands to recover ;)

dbillyboy 30 September 2003 09:15

Us motorcycling types aren't bothered by the weather (eh Hart?). We'll keep going throughout the 'Cold Season' ready tobuild up to next summer.

Hey Gaelforce do you suffer with the SAD syndrome in the winter then? It sounds like you do to me!
TLS.