RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Commercial operators (http://www.rib.net/forum/f30/)
-   -   MCA Coding and qualified skippers (http://www.rib.net/forum/f30/mca-coding-and-qualified-skippers-28973.html)

Channel Ribs 25 March 2009 02:26

MCA Coding and qualified skippers

What is the correlation between MCA Coding and skippers tickets?

Up to 150 miles from a safe haven = MCA 1, RCD A

Up to 60 miles from a safe haven = MCA 2, RCD B

Up to 20 miles from a safe haven = MCA 3, RCD B

Up to 20 miles from a safe haven in favourable weather and daylight = MCA 4, RCD C

Up to 20 miles from a nominated departure point in favourable weather and daylight = MCA 5, RCD C

Up to 3 miles from a nominated departure point in favourable weather and daylight = MCA 6, RCD C

Am I right in thinking that a commercially endorsed RYA PB2 covers up to MCA 4 and Yachtmaster up to MCA 2?

Jono Garton 25 March 2009 02:32

Up to 150 miles from a safe haven = = Commercially Endorsed Yachtmaster Ocean (I think:])

Up to 60 miles from a safe haven = Commercially Endorsed Yachtmaster Offshore

Up to 20 miles from a safe haven = Commercially Endorsed Powerboat Advanced / Coastal Skipper or above

Up to 20 miles from a safe haven in favourable weather and daylight = Commercially Endorsed Powerboat Advanced / Coastal Skipper or above

Up to 20 miles from a nominated departure point in favourable weather and daylight = Commercially Endorsed Powerboat Advanced / Coastal Skipper or above

Up to 3 miles from a nominated departure point in favourable weather and daylight = Commercially Endorsed Powerboat level 2 or above

Note: A NDP is 1 set location not any slipway around the coast

biffer 25 March 2009 03:19

looks like it's a waste of time having pb2 with commercial , if i launch from my normal place up the hamble it would be illegal for me to go to the isle of wight, am i reading that right?

Andy Gee 25 March 2009 03:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by malthouse (Post 287589)
What is the correlation between MCA Coding and skippers tickets?

Up to 150 miles from a safe haven = MCA 1, RCD A

Up to 60 miles from a safe haven = MCA 2, RCD B

Up to 20 miles from a safe haven = MCA 3, RCD B

Up to 20 miles from a safe haven in favourable weather and daylight = MCA 4, RCD C

Up to 20 miles from a nominated departure point in favourable weather and daylight = MCA 5, RCD C

Up to 3 miles from a nominated departure point in favourable weather and daylight = MCA 6, RCD C

Am I right in thinking that a commercially endorsed RYA PB2 covers up to MCA 4 and Yachtmaster up to MCA 2?

There is no correlation between the MCA Categories given to a vessel and the RCD Categories given by the Builder.
HTH
ANdy

Channel Ribs 25 March 2009 05:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Gee (Post 287599)
There is no correlation between the MCA Categories given to a vessel and the RCD Categories given by the Builder.
HTH
ANdy

Oh? But I copied the MCA/RCD thing from the MCA web site.

Doug Stormforce 25 March 2009 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jono Garton (Post 287590)
Up to 150 miles from a safe haven = = Commercially Endorsed Yachtmaster Ocean (I think:])

Up to 60 miles from a safe haven = Commercially Endorsed Yachtmaster Offshore

Over 150NM from a safe haven is Yachtmaster Ocean

Upto 150NM from a safe haven is Yachtmaster Offshore

Upto 60NM from a safe haven although the limit for cat 2 coding does not relate to any particular qualification. Effectivlky you would need to be Yachtmaster Offshore (which give you the 150NM limit) or Ocean.

That said a lot of Yachtmaster Certificates of Competence holders are limited to 60NM from a safe haven by their First Aid ticket or their medical.

ML5 and 1 day First Aid only get you 60NM

Channel Ribs 25 March 2009 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce (Post 287612)
That said a lot of Yachtmaster Certificates of Competence holders are limited to 60NM from a safe haven by their First Aid ticket or their medical.

ML5 and 1 day First Aid only get you 60NM

Nice one Doug :thumbs:

And yes this does relate to all the emails. :D

What are the relative enablements of endorsed PB2 and Advanced?

Doug Stormforce 25 March 2009 09:06

PB2 up to 3NM from Nominated Point of Departure by day and in favorable weather. (cat 6)

Adv PB Upto 20NM from a safe haven by day and night (cat 6-3).

A lot of skippers in the UK dont actually need to go beyone Adv. PB for what they do.
The jump from PB2 to Adv is massive, both in what is involved in the training and assessemnt and what it allows you to do.

The jump from adv to Yachtmaster Offshore is again massive in pre requisites, the type of boat you use and the qualification.

Poly 25 March 2009 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffer (Post 287595)
looks like it's a waste of time having pb2 with commercial , if i launch from my normal place up the hamble it would be illegal for me to go to the isle of wight, am i reading that right?

I think you are reading it correctly. It is suited to things like a harbour taxi service, where the distances are relatively small, the risk is quite small and so the training & skill level of the skipper doesn't need to be huge.

Doug Stormforce 25 March 2009 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by biffer (Post 287595)

Not entirely true, If you were to depart from somewhere like Brighton you would only have 3NM from the marina. The Solent however and most other sheltered areas are known as Categorised Waters. The 3NM limit does not therefore start until you reach the limits of the Solent.