RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Tow vehicles, 4x4s, trucks, cars & bikes (http://www.rib.net/forum/f46/)
-   -   Is there a warranty that's worth buying? (http://www.rib.net/forum/f46/is-there-a-warranty-thats-worth-buying-27960.html)

John Kennett 12 January 2009 08:12

Is there a warranty that's worth buying?

Does anyone here know about vehicle warranties? My experience hasn't been good (trashed gearbox caused by oil seal giving way - "I'm sorry Sir, the gearbox is covered, but the seals aren't. Any damage caused by a non warranted part is excluded")

Any of them worth looking at? Or all a waste of time?

pressman 12 January 2009 08:23

John we have an ongoing problem with Jeep at the moment. Bought a new Grand Cherokee had gearbox problems from a month old went back on numerous occasions with the same problem during warranty. One month out of warranty they decided that the gearbox was actually knackered and needed total replacement at some ridiculous cost:@

Carl 12 January 2009 08:24

non of them are that good but the best one around at the moment is from the rac,if you do get one,get the top spec and highest pay out. im guessing your not talking about a manufactors warranty from new

J S 12 January 2009 11:08

Iv just got the AA breakdown repair warranty 60 a year and covers you up to 500 5 or 6 times a year. If something goes wrong seems good value to me as my landy is now out of warranty. :thumbs:

James

bedajim 12 January 2009 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kennett (Post 278059)
Does anyone here know about vehicle warranties? My experience hasn't been good (trashed gearbox caused by oil seal giving way - "I'm sorry Sir, the gearbox is covered, but the seals aren't. Any damage caused by a non warranted part is excluded")

Any of them worth looking at? Or all a waste of time?

What car, what age & how many miles :]

John Kennett 12 January 2009 14:21

Multipla JTD, 2005, 30k

I know they're not the most reliable car on the planet, so I'd quite like a warranty. Don't want to spend a few hundred quid on a worthless piece of paper though!

Nos4r2 12 January 2009 14:48

I won't buy an aftermarket warranty again-we did it once.

When it came to claiming on it they just ignored the contract and made up any excuse possible to worm their way out of it.

bedajim 12 January 2009 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kennett (Post 278125)
Multipla JTD, 2005, 30k

I know they're not the most reliable car on the planet, so I'd quite like a warranty. Don't want to spend a few hundred quid on a worthless piece of paper though!

I had one aftermarket one and it was crap, sold to me by the dealer:@

some manufactures will extend your warranty or sell you their approved one depending on mileage etc, if you've let it fall out of warranty they charge a little more than normal but you need a FDSH I think, don't talk to the dealer call the number for warranty contacts in your service book.
My Nissan was 1400 for extra warranty from the dealer and 699 from Nissan warranty, they sent me a book with what is not covered.

Jim

John Kennett 13 January 2009 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedajim (Post 278132)
they sent me a book with what is not covered.

I get the feeling that these are definitely the better type. The ones that list what is covered look impressive but leave way too much that isn't covered!

Dirk Diggler 13 January 2009 06:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kennett (Post 278125)
Don't want to spend a few hundred quid on a worthless piece of paper though!

And yet your willing to spend a few thousand pounds on a worthless piece of car! :D