RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   RIBs & ribbing (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/)
-   -   Console Vent (http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/console-vent-18114.html)

al40 17 February 2007 14:55

Console Vent

It appears that the console on my RC is humid inside. A couple of the guages and my Icom M421 have started to fog up very slightly. I'm 99% sure this is related to moisture inside the console as everything is pretty well sealed on the outside.

Do most consoles have vents fitted in them? Mine is well sealed and I guess it will sweat to some degree. It's probably not helped by the fact that there is a cover on in when the boats not in use.

I could easily cut a hole for a small vent if that would help.

Any suggestions welcome!

Al

codprawn 17 February 2007 15:44

I have been thinking of fitting one of these

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/Produ...e-a80fa2d8eef8

A solar powered vent - cost about 40. They are supposed to be pretty waterproof.

al40 17 February 2007 17:23

I was kind of wandering about a solar vent as well. My concern was where to actually fit it (I gather these are normally mounted on the cabin roof). If I mount it on the slope or bulkhead of console then do you think there would be enough light hitting it to power it (obviusly depends what direction you are going in!). I guess you'd also need a breather vent to allow a good airflow.

Had also toyed with a PC cooling fan mounted to the back of a normal vent to give a good strong flow.

Thanks!
Al

codprawn 17 February 2007 18:52

Obviously it won't be as efficient mounted like that but they are designed for cabins so will still provide plenty of air for a console.

Chris 18 February 2007 00:44

I have a decent size vent in my console yet my guages still steam up they clear when hey get a bit of sunlight on.

Chris

al40 19 February 2007 14:12

Chris,

Thanks for info.

Do you have a cover over the console when boat is not in use? I was wondering if that was making my problem worse as it'll warm up in the sun like a greenhouse with moist air trapped under the cover (irrespective of whether a vent is fitted or not, unless vent is below the level of cover!)

Chris 19 February 2007 14:43

Al,

I have only just got the boat however it is clear that the guages steam up dependant on the weather and general humidity of the air.

Chris

al40 19 February 2007 14:55

Thanks Chris.

I'm still stunned that apparently "waterproof" guages fog up. It's only an issue on my teleflex voltmeter and fuel guage. The engine trim / tacho are absolutely fine. Noticed this on last boat which also had a teleflex voltmeter...... They claim to be fog free as well (I suppose they are if mounted inside).

IBWET 20 February 2007 01:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by al40 (Post 187383)
Thanks Chris.

I'm still stunned that apparently "waterproof" guages fog up. It's only an issue on my teleflex voltmeter and fuel guage. The engine trim / tacho are absolutely fine. Noticed this on last boat which also had a teleflex voltmeter...... They claim to be fog free as well (I suppose they are if mounted inside).

Al,

Look at the vents fitted to my consol,next time they are at the top on both sides-gauges still steam , consol still damp.

I think the fan suggestion is a good one (not sure how long a PC fan will last in that environment) solar powered is great idea..it's a problem for me too so I'll see if I can source a fan that will do the job....

and as your good with the meters etc i'll see if it set yours on fire before I do mine...:D

Ian M 20 February 2007 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by al40 (Post 187157)
It appears that the console on my RC is humid inside. A couple of the guages and my Icom M421 have started to fog up very slightly.
Al

Yep, got the same problem with my Mercury smartguages, fuel gauge and M421. Spoke to the dealer about the smartguages and fuel guage, and was informed that "they all do that". Went to the trouble of taking the Icom out of the console (pig of a job!), and sending it back to Icom, who said that there was nothing wrong with it. The slight fogging that I was seeing was due to the water vapour in the air contained within the sealed volume of the case. It did, and continues, to work perfectly, and the fogging clears when it has been out in the sun for a bit. The boat is kept under a heavy tarpaulin cover, but it does not seem excessively damp under the cover.