RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Other stuff (http://www.rib.net/forum/f19/)
-   -   Vista nightmare (http://www.rib.net/forum/f19/vista-nightmare-17830.html)

codprawn 30 January 2007 16:25

Vista nightmare

The more I look into Vista the worse it seems - anyone got any experience of it? It seems they have put Digital Rights Management above all else.

Vista does all sorts of naughty things like turning off SPDIF and downgrading outputs etc if it doesn't get the signatures it wants. Not so bad with pirate stuff that has had the DRM ripped out but for someone using it legit they will have real fun and games!!!

Nasher 30 January 2007 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by codprawn (Post 184496)

Vista does all sorts of naughty things like turning off SPDIF and downgrading outputs etc if it doesn't get the signatures it wants. Not so bad with pirate stuff that has had the DRM ripped out but for someone using it legit they will have real fun and games!!!

Err..... whoosh, breeze above the head time.

I haven't a clue what any of this means, but I get the idea you don't like it.:D

Nasher.

codprawn 30 January 2007 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasher (Post 184501)
Err..... whoosh, breeze above the head time.

I haven't a clue what any of this means, but I get the idea you don't like it.:D

Nasher.

You really don't want to know either - stick to fiddling with outboards!!!

laser 30 January 2007 16:46

I think its going to be reasonably good, have had a fairly good play with it with the beta versions and a full version, it seems to do an awful lot more than XP and better. I see no immediate rush to purchase it as XP still does this job pefectly. Looking forward to getting it installed on a new PC and giving it a good testing.

DJL 30 January 2007 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by codprawn (Post 184496)
The more I look into Vista the worse it seems - anyone got any experience of it? It seems they have put Digital Rights Management above all else.

XP had similar stuff. It would turn off SPDIF and various video outputs if DRM requested.

I suspect there will be some large problems with HD content in general, not just on Vista. HDCP is pretty much broken at the moment, not to mention its been cracked on a small scale already and there are other proof of concept cracks around.

As for Vista - I think its pretty good - been running it since November when it was RTM.

Driver support is rubbish at the moment though. NVIDIA have yet to release a stable graphics driver even though Vista was officially launched today. Same goes for the likes of Creative etc.

Biggles 31 January 2007 13:55

Did Vista come with Direct X 10.

Thats the bit I'm waiting for.

Nasher 31 January 2007 15:13

Just received this from Orange.

"Hello,

We just wanted to let you know that Microsoft has launched a new operating system called Windows Vista. If youíre not planning on using Windows Vista, please donít worry, your broadband service wonít be affected.

If however you are planning on buying a new PC, or upgrading your existing one to Windows Vista, we need to make you aware that it may have an impact on your Orange broadband service, as your USB modem might not work.

Donít worry, weíre working towards fully supporting Windows Vista and in the meantime, we can still help you get connected. Just visit our online help section www.orange.co.uk/vista for all the information youíll need.

Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause.

Thanks

Customer Support"

Not planning any upgrades yet, but looks like its causing issues.

Nasher.

DJL 31 January 2007 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles (Post 184602)
Did Vista come with Direct X 10.

Thats the bit I'm waiting for.

Yes. DX10 is integrated into Vista and won't be available on XP. All that's needed now are some graphics drivers that work and of course some DX10 games.

Biggles 31 January 2007 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJL (Post 184631)
Yes. DX10 is integrated into Vista and won't be available on XP. All that's needed now are some graphics drivers that work and of course some DX10 games.

So I have to buy vista to get Direct X 10. I hope this isn't true. I can't see how the gaming industry will let Microsoft get away with that one.

DJL 31 January 2007 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggles (Post 184638)
So I have to buy vista to get Direct X 10. I hope this isn't true. I can't see how the gaming industry will let Microsoft get away with that one.

Yes DX10 will only be available on Vista. The whole driver/graphics/DX system in Vista has been changed and a port to XP won't be possible.

"Microsoft Corp., the world's largest maker of software, will not release next-generation graphics application programming interface (API) called DirectX 10 for the currently shipping Windows XP operating system (OS), instead, the company will keep the new API strictly for the forthcoming Windows Vista OS, despite earlier assumptions about DirectX 10 for the XP"