RIBnet Forums

RIBnet Forums (http://www.rib.net/forum/)
-   Other stuff (http://www.rib.net/forum/f19/)
-   -   Freelander as a tow vehicle? (http://www.rib.net/forum/f19/freelander-as-a-tow-vehicle-12737.html)

Searider 16 January 2006 16:43

Freelander as a tow vehicle?

Anyone using a Freelander as a tow vehicle?

If so, any comments would be appreciated.

ie What do you tow, How far do you regularly tow, good comments, bad comments.

My 18 year old Range Rover has just failed its MOT for the third year running and I'm getting fed up with having it welded up each time.

Maybe time to retire it and get an everyday car that can also tow the boat.

Shaggy 16 January 2006 16:53

Hi
I had a 1.8 S to tow a 5.8Mtr Narwhal and 130Yam.

Totally under powered burnt the clutch out after 40,000 as there is no low gear ratio and it struggled to pull the boat up the slip.

Get the TD5 if you are thinking of a Freelander.

Shaggy

Rogue Wave 16 January 2006 16:55

I think it would do it quite well you could go on to a landrover forum for a beter headsup. Your Scorpion isn't a heavy boat and I towed ours behind our Primera but could have done with 4wd on slipway. So most of the time used the Trooper.

My only reservation is the wheelbase,

Mollers 16 January 2006 17:00

The freelander is a bit of a mum's school run 4x4. I'd go for a SWB Shogun if a mid-size 4x4 is your thing. The latest Disco's are good. I use an L200 which is pretty bullet proof.

Pete7 16 January 2006 17:02

Had one on loan from Wessex Landrovers for a week. Much more expensive to run than a diesel disco, also appeared just as wide when driving. The last of the real Discos (300 engine) would be a good choice if you don't want to rush to the TD5. Insurance for the Disco now nearly the same as my 106 :eek: Now 248 Fully Comp.

Pete

Rogue Wave 16 January 2006 17:10

MY mate Paul Acketts is looking for a shite rangie for an Offroad project if your getting rid of it I'll send you his number

Kernow Buoy 16 January 2006 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollulnan
I use an L200 which is pretty bullet proof.

That's my idea out the window then! :D

TJ101 16 January 2006 17:12

Freelander DIESEL, ok,, the other half is on her 5th one,,used for pulling the horse box with 2 ponys etc, no problems,, BUT go for the diesel,, Di up to 2000 year,and 6k mark,, TD4 (read BMW engine) from 2000 and 6k up,
The early ones did have diff problems (IRD units),

Allways got between 33/38 mpg running round,with a 300/TD5 disco, you will be pushed to get 26/28 ish

Will agreed, after using a Rangie, a freelander will feel a little on the small size

Searider 16 January 2006 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
MY mate Paul Acketts is looking for a shite rangie for an Offroad project if your getting rid of it I'll send you his number

Cheers Stuart,

I'll let you know if/when I decide to sell it.
It's currently at Central Welding being patched up - so will last another 12 months. I suspect i'll sell it in the summer / autumn as a "very good runner but a bit crinkly around the edges".

I like to plan my purchases :)

Searider 16 January 2006 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ101
Freelander DIESEL, ok,, the other half is on her 5th one,,used for pulling the horse box with 2 ponys etc, no problems,, BUT go for the diesel,, Di up to 2000 year,and 6k mark,, TD4 (read BMW engine) from 2000 and 6k up,
The early ones did have diff problems (IRD units),

Allways got between 33/38 mpg running round,with a 300/TD5 disco, you will be pushed to get 26/28 ish

Will agreed, after using a Rangie, a freelander will feel a little on the small size

Was thinking diesel - want to steer clear of K series head gasket problems.

Any significant differences between the Di and TD4 - I was thinking of getting an earlier one.

Any experience with rusting - or have yours been new/ish?