Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 03 December 2012, 04:55   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigi36 View Post
If you are going for a rigiflex don't go for the 4.7m. It's not set up as a safety boat, go for the newmatic 400 as we have done.
I am surprised by this comment. The newmatic version of the 4700 looks pretty much as suitable as any of the newmatic range, just bigger? All the sizes are also available in Aquapeche and Cap variants, neither of which would be as suitable as the newmatic variant. Perhaps the newmatic version of the 4700 was not available when you were shopping? It is relatively new.

All the best

David
__________________

__________________
dpround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 04:56   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
Thanks for the encouragement Graham. I'll go for getting a grant I think. I'll probably ask for one of the new Rigiflex 4700 Newmatics as it is plated for 10, but not too large. It looks like I can ask for 20k in Wales, but I am not sure that it is an advantage to ask for all of it.
David
I have now found a good reason for not asking for too much. We have to provide at least 20% from other sources

David
__________________

__________________
dpround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 07:24   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 93
Thanks for the list of similar boats, it seems Rigiflex don't have the entire segment all to themselves after all. I like the idea of the Pioner multi - recovering tired swimmers would be very easy and it ticks some boxes for disabled access, not that we have any disabled scouts. I will get quotes. It will take me a while to work through them all.

The Whaly boats look interesting, cheap and with very good rated number of passengers despite the smaller size of their largest offering.

Thanks again

David
__________________
dpround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 08:29   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
I am surprised by this comment. The newmatic version of the 4700 looks pretty much as suitable as any of the newmatic range, just bigger? All the sizes are also available in Aquapeche and Cap variants, neither of which would be as suitable as the newmatic variant. Perhaps the newmatic version of the 4700 was not available when you were shopping? It is relatively new.

All the best

David
Hi David

I wasn't aware you could get the 4700 in the Newmatic range. As far as I can see it's just available as a Cap model (which is obviously not set up as a safety boat).

I can't see it listed on the webstie anywhere
Rigiflex - Rigiflex Range

Where did you find out about it?

EDIT: Fair enough, just found this:
http://www.kleinboote.at/Boot-Rigifl...Kat-C-D-orange

One ugly beast though haha.

I think when choosing a rescue boat it's important to consider where you could lie a casualty. There is lots of room in the newmatic 3.6,3.7 and 4.0m but other boats (the whaly for instance) don't seem to have a lot of internal space.
__________________
rigi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 09:38   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
A Pioneer multi is considerably more expensive and heavy. I personally think a Rigiflex 360 is the best allrounder - light enough to be hand launched by a handful of people yet big and stable enough for most safety boat applications. Plus they come on the market used quite often for not much money.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 10:08   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: England
Boat name: n/a
Make: n/a
Length: no boat
Engine: n/a
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 362
+1 to that Tim
__________________
rigi36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 10:13   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
A Pioneer multi is considerably more expensive and heavy. I personally think a Rigiflex 360 is the best allrounder - light enough to be hand launched by a handful of people yet big and stable enough for most safety boat applications. Plus they come on the market used quite often for not much money.
The current plan is to keep the boat on the farm and tow it to whichever launch site, so ability hand launch would not be much of an asset. It would be nice to get it under 750kg all up as that would allow an unbraked trailer. Brakes and salt do not mix IMHO! I am not sure if the grant would allow us to buy a second hand boat, though I will be asking. (I can't help noticing that 15k gets a LOT of rib second hand on this site!) I feel we need a boat large enough to take a reasonable number of scouts without exceeding the plated limit as I would like to use the boat for other things as well as rescue duties. Most of the larger offerings will take 8 - 10 people, which is a patrol and a leader with a bit of margin. This is of course all pie in the sky if we can't sort out a grant.

All the best

David
__________________
dpround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2012, 14:45   #38
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
I have now found a good reason for not asking for too much. We have to provide at least 20% from other sources
Not sure how much experience you have of these things but worth checking:

(1) Can any all of it be "in kind"; e.g. if there is work needing done as part of a total project can you attribute a value to the effort; or if an engine is needed and you are using one you already own etc; training courses for all the "crew" etc.
(2) Can the grant cover the first years running costs too? e.g. fuel, servicing, insurance etc - all stuff you were going to have to pay anyway - but can it reach 20% of the total?
(3) Any of your leaders or parents work for benevolent organisations who would promote their name on the side. Its the sort of think Mrs Poly's firm would sponsor if she was one of the leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigi36 View Post
I think when choosing a rescue boat it's important to consider where you could lie a casualty. There is lots of room in the newmatic 3.6,3.7 and 4.0m but other boats (the whaly for instance) don't seem to have a lot of internal space.
Most of those are available in a tiller steer only version with no benches which would provide ample room. The fun yak console can also be placed at the rear possibly leaving enough space for a casualty infront. I also think that on the whaly and funyak the 'side bench' arrangement could work for a lying casualty in reasonable conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
I am not sure if the grant would allow us to buy a second hand boat, though I will be asking. (I can't help noticing that 15k gets a LOT of rib second hand on this site!) I feel we need a boat large enough to take a reasonable number of scouts without exceeding the plated limit as I would like to use the boat for other things as well as rescue duties.
Think carefully before going 2nd hand. The life of tubes is probably <20 yrs unless they are commercial spec. The hull, trailer etc will all need some TLC. Old boats often need rewired etc. BUT probably my biggest worry about a club/scout group who are struggling to scrape together 15k buying a big old boat is the engine costs. Big boat = big engine. Old boat = old engine. Old engine = higher risk of problems and higher repair bills. Big engine = bigger fuel costs. A 150 HP 2 stroke will burn 60-80 of fuel/oil an hour unless used very carefully [which if you are not paying for the fuel they never are].

Quote:
Most of the larger offerings will take 8 - 10 people, which is a patrol and a leader with a bit of margin. This is of course all pie in the sky if we can't sort out a grant.
Depending where you are thinking of using it would two smaller boats be a better plan? You get the advantage of running one when you can (saving money) and the flexibility of two boats when its useful (e.g. a breakdown, towing fleets of dinghies, transporting people long distances etc). For 15k I think you could get 2 roughly 4m whaly/funyak types with tiller steering etc. If they are desparate you might even manage 2 for 10k (especially if you can find a suitable double trailer).

If you plan to use it in rough water one big boat might be more sensible.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 13:39   #39
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Ballistic
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam HPDI 250
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,835
I'm involved in the Sea Scouts here in margate.

We've just bought a "FunYak" for the troop, good service and product seams good quality. New shiny Merc 20 just arrived so no sea time to report on yet. We've gone for the console option with all remotes & electrics on the engine as we already have a few small pull start / tiller engines and want the kids to experience gear lever and wheel.

Fun Yak Dinghies and rowing boats

Paid for (boat and engine, although bought 6 months appart) through combination of fund raising, and small grants. The 500 grants soon add up (try rotary, masons, local supermarket, church... etc. etc.) , and are almost always easier for apply for than the 5000 ones.
__________________

__________________
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.