Go Back   RIBnet Forums > Buy and sell > RIBs wanted
Click Here to Login

Old 09 September 2011, 15:48   #1

Length: no boat
Wanted 6.6-7.5m Rib with four stroke 150+

Hi,

I'm looking for a 6.5m - 7.5m rib, possibly Ballistic, Cobra, Humber, Predator, Ribcraft with 150+HP four stroke engine.

The boat needs to be in great condition with a FSH on the engine.

I'm based in Poole and have a budget of £20k.

Thanks for reading my post...

Jonathan
Old 09 September 2011, 17:35   #2

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
You need more like £25k+ IMHO

It's not going to be very new at 20k for those brands and price. Most engines are serviced by dealer until warranty expires and that is usually 3-5 yrs. Boats if mint may be worth 1/2 their value in 4yrs. A 7m with 150hp of your stated brands is in excess of 50k.

Hope for a looked after old boat with new engine maybe.
Old 20 September 2011, 14:01   #3

Town: chichester
Boat name: chasecraft 7.5
Make: chasecraft
Length: 7.5m
Engine: suzuki 225hp
check out my chasecraft spend a bit on her and you would have a perfect rib
Old 20 September 2011, 15:14   #4

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
Brand new Humber 6.5m Destroyer 10K (8k basic with console/seat/no feedback steering etc so 2K to upgrade extra seating etc as you want!)
Engine 7K
Trailer 3K

Juggle the figures as you wish but end result, lucky boy

Looking at the market Humber RIBs don't depreciate that much, 9K for a 6m 1999 Humber & same age engine - not far off what was paid for it new!! 15K for similar 6 years old, makes you think!! 1K per year roughly to own a new Humber until 5 years old when depreciation slows right down.
Old 20 September 2011, 15:41   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
Brand new Humber 6.5m Destroyer 10K (8k basic with console/seat/no feedback steering etc so 2K to upgrade extra seating etc as you want!)
Engine 7K
Trailer 3K

Juggle the figures as you wish but end result, lucky boy
6.5m Destroyer is £9840 inc VAT on the pricelist in front of me, with the most basic console etc. It is also remarkably easy to spend £5k on the fittings without getting silly!

A new 150 HP engine will be over 10k (possibly by quite a bit for a 4 stroke), although your trailer figure is a bit pessimistic.

With all the basics to get it rigged and ready to take to sea (anchor, vhf, etc) it will be well over budget. Whilst it is an interesting suggestion than new might be possible I think new would need to be <6m to be ready to go to sea for that budget.
Old 20 September 2011, 15:52   #6

I'd say an average new package for good middle of road rib, ie Humber, fully set up for leisure use would be
5.5m 20-25k
6.5m 30 -35k
7.5m 45-50k
Old 20 September 2011, 16:12   #7

It's like buying a car you would never assume you are going to pay what they advertise it at....

I won't post the quotes from Humber but my first quote before I wanted to go up a size was for 5.5m Destroyer fully set up with A bars, 90hp Suzuki, trailer etc for 21K, this is before negotiation

Then i asked for a quote with non feedback steering all laid in, steering wheel, seat, console, raised anchor locker, extras such as orange GRP and usual extras such as grab handles, lifelines etc etc

5.8M Destroyer £7,544
6.0M " £7,780
6.5M " said £8000 ish! formal quote being done at moment.

I have been offered deals with the engine at cost with some companies, Humber should play ball also, they say 115HP is mid way and fine for the Destroyer 6.5M hull, range is 70-175hp The above quotes are without haggling also...

Found out also the Destroyer hull has one chine the OP has two. Both dry boats, the Destroyer very capable in strong conditons the OP hull tweaked more again for when really pushing it - top end stuff with experienced drivers.
Old 20 September 2011, 16:20   #8

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
You need more like £25k+ IMHO

It's not going to be very new at 20k for those brands and price. Most engines are serviced by dealer until warranty expires and that is usually 3-5 yrs. Boats if mint may be worth 1/2 their value in 4yrs. A 7m with 150hp of your stated brands is in excess of 50k.

Hope for a looked after old boat with new engine maybe.
I disagree (in a nice positive way of course) you should easily be able to find what you are looking for at that price..

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 16:52   #9

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
For example this would probably go for 20k...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/ballist...5-a-43919.html

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2011, 17:22   #10

Wow...there seem to be lots of options! I was starting to think that £20k was just too low for a good quality rib, but the Ballistic above seems to be good value!

I also like the Humbers as they are built to last...

Thanks for all of the input!
Old 20 September 2011, 18:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
For example this would probably go for 20k...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/ballist...5-a-43919.html
True, but that boats nearly 6 years old, doesn't say how many hours it has done and isn' exactly a popular brand on here. Not to knock it, but I've spent a lot of time on here in 3 years and not ever heard much of "Ballistic".

The OP said he wants a 6.5-7.5m, so a 7m boat in great condition with FSH. I maintain that a 3-5 year old boat with low hours, in that size, in a decent make of rib (usual suspects ribcraft, humber, parker, delta, osprey etc)is going to be £25k. Though I hope I am wrong.

Zagato, make sure you go out in a 6.5m Humber with a 115 on. I think it would be fairly underpowered. Our 6.3 has the 2.5L V6 engine and goes well. The 135 and 150 are the same block. The 115 is a 1.5L 3cyl engine. I don't think it will have enough ooomph. It would plane yes, but with 4 up it would be gutless. A 115 on a 6m may be OK and great on a 5.5 or 5.8. Not to say it won't be suitable for your purposes, but please!!! try it out before building your pride and joy and then finding it really isnt what you wanted.
Old 20 September 2011, 18:53   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
True, but that boats nearly 6 years old, doesn't say how many hours it has done and isn' exactly a popular brand on here. Not to knock it, but I've spent a lot of time on here in 3 years and not ever heard much of "Ballistic".
you need to spend more time reading the forums then! There are at least 26 members on here with one, and they do get discussed reasonably often by those soft solent ribbers! IIRC they are South African Built and imported by JBT Marine, who do demo's frequently. The reputation is fast but quite a hard ride. The style won't appeal to the sort of guy who owns a yellow humber or uses a builders helmet as an improvised gecko!

Quote:
The OP said he wants a 6.5-7.5m, so a 7m boat in great condition with FSH. I maintain that a 3-5 year old boat with low hours, in that size, in a decent make of rib (usual suspects ribcraft, humber, parker, delta, osprey etc)is going to be £25k. Though I hope I am wrong.
should be possible at this time of year towards the bottom end of the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato
I won't post the quotes from Humber but my first quote before I wanted to go up a size was for 5.5m Destroyer fully set up with A bars, 90hp Suzuki, trailer etc for 21K, this is before negotiation
That's quite a long way way off the requested spec in this thread though 6.5m+150HP min....

I think you may be disappointed with the amount of haggling they will be open to. I'm not saying there isn't scope for a "package" price but your "quotes" are already less than list (unless they are ex vat?). Assuming they are busy there's no point on them undercutting themselves. Especially since Humber (who read the forum) already know you are in love with the product and so aren't taking alternatives seriously.
Old 20 September 2011, 19:34   #13

http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/2009-co...vat-44143.html

Decent rib, suit the OP, not exactly 20k!

....as for the builders helmet dig. I'm hurt.
Old 20 September 2011, 19:49   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
....as for the builders helmet dig. I'm hurt.
that was a compliment! I'd much rather be in that camp than the "blue and white stripe gang" or "the kidding themselves on they are in the rnli bridage"
Old 20 September 2011, 20:39   #15

All the gear no idea! end up stuck on a sandbank wondering why the Tom Tom didn't tell them.
Old 21 September 2011, 06:26   #16

Paul, yes I would like to try out a 115 in a 6.5M I have spoken to a guy who has one and says it's fine with 4 up. The 90hp on a 6m is also very capable apparently, suggested 50 -150. Humber say the 115 will be fine also. I suppose it depends on use and much oomph you want, we will be toddling about at 8knots in Chichester Harbour 70% of the time, trip to the beach for the kids, anchor out etc, bit of fishing from the boat etc and I'll take her out into the Solent on my own for the rest. I'll take it down to Mylor also to go up the Falmouth estuary creeks and over to the Helford passage with family one day! I don't want to go up in engine size, weight of boat and cost of boat which is why I won't be going for the OP. A 6.3 OP is roughly 1K more, 70 - 115KG more, needs roughly 20HP more is .44m shorter than a 6.5 Destroyer but 13cm wider. I have some very narrow lanes to get to and some tricky slips so for me the Destroyer is the way to go - wouldn't mind your extra chine though

Polwart 6.5m example given and can juggle figures for the extra 35hp
Quotes inc VAT of course, and I don't know I am that serious about Humber so I don't know how they would know I am still looking at at others Osprey etc maybe a second hand one and you never know something might come up unexpected Second hand Ribtec for instance.

This is all good advertising for Humber though worth a bit of money off I think, eh Sue! or a couple of seats, how about a nice console if I start up an owners club We haven't even started getting to the nitty gritty yet Polwart Those are thumbs on the little devil aren't they... hope so!?
Old 21 September 2011, 07:24   #17

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato View Post
go up the Falmouth estuary creeks
Watch the tide or you'll really be up the creek
Old 21 September 2011, 08:18   #18

Yes, I know the area well, sailed for 20 years down there but new to Chichester Harbour and the Solent only 2 years there so far. Love Chichester Harbour, but you can keep the Solent, it's like the M25 Prefer Falmouth
Old 21 September 2011, 08:49   #19

Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
RIBase
[QUOTE=HUMBER P4VWL;422030]True, but that boats nearly 6 years old, doesn't say how many hours it has done

FYI the Ballistic has done just under 300 hours!
Old 21 September 2011, 08:58   #20

Think Ballistic are the higher end of the market, would have been a few quid new