Old 19 August 2018, 12:26   #1

Town: Horsham
Boat name: NA
Make: NA
Length: 6m +
Engine: NA
Ribeye 550 :)

Hi All

I'm looking to purchase my first RIB, not ideal timing having missed possibly the best boating summer ever.

I'm looking for a Ribeye A550 as a nice little starter, mainly for day trips out of Brighton with a bit of wake boarding. Budget is fairly limited with it being the first purchase at 10K-15K.

Many thanks in advance

Had
Old 19 August 2018, 19:01   #2

Town: IPSWICH
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
RIBase
ribbing

i think for that sort of money you should get a good quality boat with high spec
i just recently lost my ribeye with a 90 hp engine and it was great.
Old 19 August 2018, 19:24   #3

Town: Horsham
Boat name: NA
Make: NA
Engine: NA
What would you suggest? The ribeye 550's that I have seen online seem to be going for that type of money.
Old 19 August 2018, 20:08   #4

Town: IPSWICH
Make: zodiac
RIBase
ribbing

i have been spending a lot of time recently (months) looking for a rib and i see where your coming from.
i would keep searching, try to aim for private sales, more boat less money.
the boat you want is out there.
have you considered a different model or make. there are compatible and even better than the ribeye, but it is a lovely boat.
good luck
Old 20 August 2018, 15:11   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6had View Post
Hi All

I'm looking to purchase my first RIB, not ideal timing having missed possibly the best boating summer ever.

I'm looking for a Ribeye A550 as a nice little starter, mainly for day trips out of Brighton with a bit of wake boarding. Budget is fairly limited with it being the first purchase at 10K-15K.

Many thanks in advance

Had

That's a healthy budget for a starter boat. However, when buying used, you buy what's available, not what you want, unless you are lucky & drop on. You may miss out on another perfect summer unless you're prepared to compromise. Don't get fixated on one brand/model, you will limit your choices.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2018, 17:09   #6

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Any reason why you've picked Ribeye alone? There are several other superb UK builders to choose from?
Old 20 August 2018, 17:50   #7

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
We were in Yarmouth harbour a few weeks ago and a chap came over and was asking a few question about my Stingher, he had a nice looking 7.5-8m all black ribeye, I guess one of the new style boats. I asked how he found the ribeye and he replied the fit and finish wasn’t very good whilst he pulled quite a grumpy face - fair enough was my reply! Lol
Old 20 August 2018, 21:43   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
One just listed on a Facebook page in Tenby 100hp yam funtime550
£12500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87EA105D-FC58-4D41-AC2F-DFFF3E97DAF2.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	126478  
Old 22 August 2018, 10:04   #9

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Ribeye 550 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee argyle View Post
We were in Yarmouth harbour a few weeks ago and a chap came over and was asking a few question about my Stingher, he had a nice looking 7.5-8m all black ribeye, I guess one of the new style boats. I asked how he found the ribeye and he replied the fit and finish wasn’t very good whilst he pulled quite a grumpy face - fair enough was my reply! Lol
That looks a nice boat for a family.

Grumpy face - but his wallet was probably full of the difference in price between a Ribeye and stingher!

I believe some of the very old Ribeyes weren’t very well built, (based on reading) but I’ve seen a number of them over the last 8yrs being run commercially and privately in and around Anglesey and noted two things. They seem a well balanced boat, with a deep enough V to run well enough in most seas, yet going well for their horsepower. Secondly, none seem to have fallen apart. Ribride in Anglesey run a few and have run them hard/regularly for a good few years now.

I see no reason to avoid them, unlike other brands that IMHO really are a bit plasticky, with a very “mass produced/throw away” feel - Valiant and possibly Brig for example. Though I may be wrong, as I was about Ribeyes.

Horses for courses... and budgets!
Old 22 August 2018, 11:54   #10

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Black Bear
Make: Ribeye A683
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 232039276
We have a 5 year old Ribeye A600 and the build quality is superb.

I still have a grumpy face though.
Old 22 August 2018, 13:11   #11

A friend has a ribeye 650, I think it is a 2010 or so, it is literally falling to bits, wouldn't go near one.
Old 22 August 2018, 19:04   #12

Town: Porchfield
Boat name: Katie
Make: Stingher
Length: 10m +
Engine: Verado 350 x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
That looks a nice boat for a family.

Grumpy face - but his wallet was probably full of the difference in price between a Ribeye and stingher!

I believe some of the very old Ribeyes weren’t very well built, (based on reading) but I’ve seen a number of them over the last 8yrs being run commercially and privately in and around Anglesey and noted two things. They seem a well balanced boat, with a deep enough V to run well enough in most seas, yet going well for their horsepower. Secondly, none seem to have fallen apart. Ribride in Anglesey run a few and have run them hard/regularly for a good few years now.

I see no reason to avoid them, unlike other brands that IMHO really are a bit plasticky, with a very “mass produced/throw away” feel - Valiant and possibly Brig for example. Though I may be wrong, as I was about Ribeyes.

Horses for courses... and budgets!
Don’t think the ribeye was that old, the owner gave the impression the boat was fairly new out of the factory.......

Other brands have their issues, a boat yard owner showed me a cobra a season or two ago, the rib was 18 months old and lots of the glued on grab handles and rubbing strake was coming away from the tubes, scary!
Old 22 August 2018, 19:09   #13
PUP

Town: Devon
Boat name: Camira
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha
MMSI: 235085732
“Literally falling to bits”

Xk59D,

Perhaps you can share your knowledge and wisdom with us Ribeye owners and tell us what it is that’s “falling to bits”?
Old 22 August 2018, 19:42   #14

Town: Dublin
I have a 2007 ribeye 650 and it’s in great condition. Like every other rib I have had it’s all about how it is cared for and maintained. I get compliments from a lot of other ribbers about the condition of my boat. No fit or quality issues here!
Old 23 August 2018, 10:28   #15

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Denis
Engine: Yamaha 100
I have a 2016 Ribeye A550 with a 100 Yamaha. Absolutely brilliant in every way, performance, build quality, style & looks. Not a single issue. A lovely RIB that is very well built. Would 100% recommend a Ribeye. Keep searching if that is what you have set your heart on.
Old 23 August 2018, 11:19   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Ribeye certainly turned out some pretty ropey boats in the very early days, but they got their act together pretty quickly. Their resale values are strong which says a lot about the build quality, and I’ve been really impressed with the finish on their boats in recent years.

Not rufty tufty looking enough for some people’s liking, but don’t confuse that with being a bad boat.
Old 23 August 2018, 11:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUP View Post
Xk59D,

Perhaps you can share your knowledge and wisdom with us Ribeye owners and tell us what it is that’s “falling to bits”?
Ideally it needs retubed, a lot of areas that are glued are peeling/hanging off. I'm not sure if it is a hypalon boat but a major reglue is required at a minimum.

The under deck fuel tank failed years ago (remember, not an old boat). Can happen to any boat I grant you but surprising for age.

There are bad stress cracks in a lot of places due to flex

The double jockey seat design is not great as the back rests need to come off to get access to storage. This means the back rests flop about which means holes widening on the bases.

There is lots of open wood on unsealed areas such as under seats, the rear bench etc. Again, not uncommon but is that "well built"?

I'm regularly around older ribs and this particular ribeye isn't aging well, the tubes especially and is not in same league as other makes I've been around build quality wise.

None of the above stops it being used or a chunk of cash wouldn't fix.

I used to say my old Avon was well built.....until I really looked at new boats a few years ago and I seen where the money goes. Not a slant on the Avon, it was a decent boat and decently built but in reality not a "well built" boat.

If you like ribeye and it does the job you need then screw what anyone else thinks, it is your money but my money wouldn't go in one.
Old 23 August 2018, 13:39   #18

They'rrrrre great!
Old 23 August 2018, 17:58   #19
PUP

Town: Devon
Boat name: Camira
Engine: Yamaha
MMSI: 235085732
"Falling Apart"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
The double jockey seat design is not great as the back rests need to come off to get access to storage. This means the back rests flop about which means holes widening on the bases.
With all due respect, what nonsense!

Regarding the wood, the only wood (painted) was the rear seat base but they changed to composite in 2012 or thereabouts. I suspect other manufacturers weren't that different but that was then.

And regarding the tubes, some boats were PVC which can degrade badly if not protected from UV by an all over cover but it's a fact that there's plenty of those boats still in good nick that are 10-15 years old - just look at the pics in the ads. And the resale values.....
Old 23 August 2018, 18:16   #20

If this conversation were taking place on Moody's Facebook site, there would have been a whole load of blocking going on.

Tags
rib