Old 23 August 2018, 18:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUP View Post
With all due respect, what nonsense!

Regarding the wood, the only wood (painted) was the rear seat base but they changed to composite in 2012 or thereabouts. I suspect other manufacturers weren't that different but that was then.

And regarding the tubes, some boats were PVC which can degrade badly if not protected from UV by an all over cover but it's a fact that there's plenty of those boats still in good nick that are 10-15 years old - just look at the pics in the ads. And the resale values.....
Can't be nonsense, it is my opinion based on the FACT the back rests are loose due to design on HIS boat, you have your opinion on it, doesn't mean you are talking nonsense. However, since you have never seen the boat in question perhaps you should conclude im in a better position to comment on it as a fellow multi rib owner with experience of a so called middle range boat and the build quality.

Ribeye imo are no better than any other middle of the road boat build wise based on quite a few I've seen close enough, nothing wrong with that if it suits your needs as every boat could be better built. The problem is his isn't ageing well with minimal use. I've seen a 3 year old redbay in a mess so anything is possible in the wrong hands ofcourse.

Btw don't think I'm saying ribcraft is the mutts nuts, it has poor design on the console access and storage in the seats for example imo. Not to mention the fitting of the steering and hydraulics should be neater.
Old 24 August 2018, 02:49   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Ribeye 550 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
If this conversation were taking place on Moody's Facebook site, there would have been a whole load of blocking going on.

As it happens I was just about to block your account when I saw this ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers
They'rrrrre great!

I presumed you’d been hacked!
Old 24 August 2018, 07:45   #23

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

It's harder to chuck stones at Ribeye these days. Back when they built real rubbish, it was open season.
Old 24 August 2018, 12:55   #24

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

Old 25 August 2018, 16:59   #25

Town: Horsham
Boat name: NA
Make: NA
Length: 6m +
Engine: NA
Thank you all for your opinions and feedback, they are much appreciated from experienced RIB owners.

I tested a second hand Ribeye 550 last weekend and was impressed with how quickly it got on plane and went along nicely with the 100 Yamaha on the back. It was a 2005 model which seems to have been cared for previously with only 130 hrs on the clock. I have just a few questions for you all:

The hull had recently been anti fouled, is this to be expected for a RIB of this age? I see some other examples of the same year that have no been anti fouled. Is this potentially done to hide a multitude of sins?

This particular RIB comes with no history in terms of receipts or servicing apart from the recent service completed by the current owner. Would this be a cause for concern providing the most recent service deemed the RIB seaworthy?

Many thanks in advance
Old 25 August 2018, 18:23   #26
RIBnet admin team

[QUOTE=v6had;780684]
The hull had recently been anti fouled, is this to be expected for a RIB of this age? I see some other examples of the same year that have no been anti fouled. Is this potentially done to hide a multitude of sins?
[quote]its not necessarily bad news - it’s presumably been kept afloat. It could be used to hide hull damage - but it’s a lot of work to do a nice job to hide minor damage... I guess you could try to hide major trauma that way too but it would be extreme. The bits that don’t quite add up/surprise me are: 130 h on a 13 yr old boat. That’s one big weekend a year and nothing else. It would be odd to antifoul a boat you weren’t keeping afloat, and unusual to only use a boat you kept afloat for 10h a year. I’d also be a bit concerned that if it has been kept afloat or even outdoors for much of that time that it would be a bit scruffy - of course it could be that there is a logical story.
Quote:
This particular RIB comes with no history in terms of receipts or servicing apart from the recent service completed by the current owner. Would this be a cause for concern providing the most recent service deemed the RIB seaworthy?
If it appears well maintained, the story adds up and its been recently serviced I wouldn’t loose sleep over a lack of paperwork on a 13yr old boat. BUT I would want some sort of “trail” that convinced me it was actually his boat to sell. That doesn’t necessarily mean paperwork going all the way back to it’s build; a credible, believable, and preferably verifiable explanation of when he bought it, from who, where it’s been kept, why it’s being sold, boats he’s owned before, where he has been using it, who’s been servicing it (and the trailer), if any big bits have needed replacing/repairing (when, by who), etc. Even information/tips they provide on where they launch, for training, insurance, if they have the VHF properly registerred etc would all add credibility to genuine, competent seller v’s chancer who might be ripping you off.
Old 30 August 2018, 13:39   #27

Due to a recent change in circumstances my budget has had to reduce to closer to 10k, therefore unfortunaltey the RIB I viewed was no longer in budget.

The search continues....
Old 30 August 2018, 17:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6had View Post
Due to a recent change in circumstances my budget has had to reduce to closer to 10k, therefore unfortunaltey the RIB I viewed was no longer in budget.

The search continues....
spotted this on the interweb the other day, haven't seen the boat but I can recommend Idealboat to deal with, great service and nice people

Ribcraft 540 - idealboat.com
Old 30 August 2018, 19:45   #29

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
spotted this on the interweb the other day, haven't seen the boat but I can recommend Idealboat to deal with, great service and nice people

Ribcraft 540 - idealboat.com
It's a 545 ....plenty of info on here already on that much vaunted fine sub 5.5m!!... side by side seating internal fuel tanked (optional) proper deep V bilge well equipped Mighty MouseXPit Bull of a RIB!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2018, 22:01   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
It's a 545 ....plenty of info on here already on that much vaunted fine sub 5.5m!!... side by side seating internal fuel tanked (optional) proper deep V bilge well equipped Mighty MouseXPit Bull of a RIB!
take it you approve them Maximus
Old 30 August 2018, 22:09   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

The only thing that would put me off is the longshaft transom, if it's re-engined in the future with a 4stroke, it might be a bit wet around the rear.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2018, 17:02   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
it might be a bit wet around the rear.
It's a rib man, not a gondola.
Old 02 September 2018, 07:13   #33

I’ve found a Ribeye 500 that is more in my current price range, my question is apart from the difference of 0.5 meters in length of the 500 and 550, is there much else different? Seating config, console etc all seem to be the same. The 500 comes with an 80 instead of the 100 that most 550’e seemed to have strapped on. Would you notice much performance difference in the two engines?
Old 02 September 2018, 08:53   #34
RIBnet admin team

You would notice a performance difference putting an 80 on a 5.5 although it would probably be just about OK. The shorter boat should be lighter and easier to get moving hence why it’s rigged with a less powerful engine. Side by side on flat water I’d be surprised if the 500/80 and 550/100 we’re giving very similar experiences. You would notice the 0.5m in more difficult water though.
Old 02 September 2018, 18:27   #35

I would mainly be playing around off the coast of Brighton, Chichester with the occasional trip to IOW. In an ideal world I would like the 600 but my budget simply won’t allow. So it’s 550 or 500.

I’ve seen a 550 priced at £12 and a 500 at £10k. I’m just trying to weigh up whether that extra 0.5 meters and 20hp really warrants the extra 2k. Both RIB’s are similar age, condition and hours on the engines.
Old 02 September 2018, 21:59   #36
RIBnet admin team

If you really want a 6m don’t buy a 5! I know full well that another 2k is not always easy to come by - but somethimes its worth holding on to save up - you are going to spend that on insurance, storage, fuel, etc in the first year... or widen your search; are you paying a premium for a ribeye when something else would do the job for your budget - especially come October/November when the owner is looking at storage costs!
Old 03 September 2018, 20:02   #37

This is hard work.
Old 03 September 2018, 21:42   #38
MrT

Town: Poole, Dorset
Make: Ribeye 550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
I've just put a deposit on a Ribeye 550/Yam 100, for £10 k so they are about but you have to be quick.

I'm going from a 460 Open Rib/50 Merc so hoping to see a major difference. I went on a 5M rib a few weeks ago to the IOW in rough conditions and it was at that point I knew I had to go bigger.

Like you I would like a 6-6.5 but cant afford atm.

My Advice would be hold out for a minimum of 5.5 or you will be trading it in sooner than you thought.

Picking mine up at the weekend so will be out Sunday all being well, Can't wait :-)
Old 10 September 2018, 21:08   #39

No such luck thus far, I guess people will soon be thinking about winter storage / costs extra. Is Sept / Oct when more come on the market?

Tags
rib