Old 01 January 2012, 15:13   #1

Length: 6m +
Looking to buy a RIB

Have just sold our beloved Fletcher and now looking to buy a RIB (preferable for the rough Irish coastline!) Looking for a 5.75 -> 6.5 in very good condition. Engine size 90HP to 130hp. Willing to travel to UK for right RIB, right price. Any advice ......... thanks
Old 01 January 2012, 15:17   #2

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Willk seems to have a thing for Redbays and is the right side of the water to point you in the right direction.
Alot also depends on what you want to use it for?

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01 January 2012, 15:49   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Hi Paddy - pretty much like Chewy says.

I've looked at the costs of getting a boat back from the UK and it's fairly eye-watering, unless you have an empty artic coming back anyway. The motivation being the brutal cost of boats here.

The Redbay 6.1 and 6.5 are both stunning RIBS. The 6.1 gives good performance with smaller engines, the 6.5 is usefully larger and needs about 150hp+ to get the best from them. They're not cheap, but they're handbuilt in Ireland for our conditions.

There are lots of other boats/makes about that would suit. If you plan to get the most out of them, I'd suggest a non-leisure style, so deep V and no bucket seats. Our waters are rarely calm so top speed is not as important as the ability to deal with a chop or swell and maintain a good cruising speed in comfort.

Avoid Irish manufacturer's with an "N" in their name
Old 01 January 2012, 16:05   #4

Hi Willk and Chewy, many thanks for your welcome to Ribnet Forum and responses. Yes, we have looked at Redbay and all reports have been good. Are there other brands /makes that you particularly recommend? Any views on prices ....... ROI V NI V Rest of UK ?? ... thanks, Paddy
Old 01 January 2012, 16:17   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Prices on the island as a whole are fairly similar, both are pricier than the UK. I'd guess by about 10-20% ? There is a lot of overpriced rubbish floating around Ireland, probably as the market is so small. Our tendency to haggle may make the asking prices seem high - not sure if this happens in the UK so much. If you're not set on a precise boat then you'll find a good one here if you wait. If you travel to the UK to buy a boat, it'll be harder to "walk away" as you've already invested time and money.
Old 01 January 2012, 18:14   #6

Town: Tralee
Make: Tornado / Zodiac 3.1
Engine: Yam F60/ Tohatsu 9.8
Rib wanted

Hi, check out afloat.ie,,O'Sullivan marine (Kerry) have a 5.5m Osprey with yamaha 115 four stroke engine..i have seen this rib needs a bit of wwork and a good tidy, but is priced good and I imagine for cash there would be a good discount..
Old 01 January 2012, 18:15   #7

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Welcome. What's your budget and how old would you go? Then you can start thinking about makes and sizes. Most boats halve in value in 3-4 years in broad terms. That will give you a guide to what you're looking at.
Old 01 January 2012, 19:01   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Redbay 6.5m with twin Suzuki 70hp (Clyde) here: redbay boats - FAFB
Old 02 January 2012, 19:16   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy L View Post
Have just sold our beloved Fletcher and now looking to buy a RIB (preferable for the rough Irish coastline!) Looking for a 5.75 -> 6.5 in very good condition. Engine size 90HP to 130hp. Willing to travel to UK for right RIB, right price. Any advice ......... thanks
With a large purchase item like a RIB,I would certainly agree and not be put off traveling to get the right boat at the right price. Not minding a bit of hassel and expence at the begining will open up alot more choice for you,and enable you to cast the net alot wider.
With the internet and all the tools like, camera phone's, video emails, ect,at our disposal these days it takes alot of the guesswork out of the equation.(Although not all!) You could always line up a few ''potentials'' and make a weekend of it.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 January 2012, 19:22   #10

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
With a large purchase item like a RIB,I would certainly agree and not be put off traveling to get the right boat at the right price. Not minding a bit of hassel and expence at the begining will open up alot more choice for you,and enable you to cast the net alot wider.
With the internet and all the tools like, camera phone's, video emails, ect,at our disposal these days it takes alot of the guesswork out of the equation.(Although not all!) You could always line up a few ''potentials'' and make a weekend of it.
Or, just go straight to Yeovil.
Old 03 January 2012, 16:10   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Hi Paddy - pretty much like Chewy says.

I've looked at the costs of getting a boat back from the UK and it's fairly eye-watering, unless you have an empty artic coming back anyway. The motivation being the brutal cost of boats here.

The Redbay 6.1 and 6.5 are both stunning RIBS. The 6.1 gives good performance with smaller engines, the 6.5 is usefully larger and needs about 150hp+ to get the best from them. They're not cheap, but they're handbuilt in Ireland for our conditions.

There are lots of other boats/makes about that would suit. If you plan to get the most out of them, I'd suggest a non-leisure style, so deep V and no bucket seats. Our waters are rarely calm so top speed is not as important as the ability to deal with a chop or swell and maintain a good cruising speed in comfort.

Avoid Irish manufacturer's with an "N" in their name
New Years resolution to be a little more serious eh!?
Old 03 January 2012, 16:51   #12
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
New Years resolution to be a little more serious eh!?
He might know where I live...
Old 04 January 2012, 15:28   #13

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Paddy what part of ireland are you in any where near mayo?
Old 04 January 2012, 18:42   #14
Bal

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick
Hi paddy have you looked at Ribquest in Derbyshire? Cheers
Old 04 January 2012, 19:09   #15

Looking for a RIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Hi 2Stroke,

I am in Dublin but willing to travel if suitable RIB comes up

Thanks

Paddy
Old 04 January 2012, 19:10   #16

Looking for a RIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal View Post
Hi paddy have you looked at Ribquest in Derbyshire? Cheers
No, but will start now!

Thanks

Paddy
Old 05 January 2012, 18:38   #17
Bal

Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy L

No, but will start now!

Thanks

Paddy
Hi paddy
Did you look at Ribquest website? Cheers
Old 22 January 2012, 12:24   #18

Hi WillK,
Have you a view on a Valiant 620, saw one recently that looks very neat, it has an 'N' in its name!? Thanks PaddyL
Old 22 January 2012, 13:01   #19

Town: Plymouth
Hi PaddyL

I'm about to market a 2004 Ribeye 600 with Yamaha 115HP 4 stroke + SBS trailer. Priced £10,750 with a little movement or Ribnet members. If it of interest PM for more details or have a look in the "Ribs for sale" section later today

Cheers

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 22 January 2012, 13:01   #20
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy L View Post
Hi WillK,
Have you a view on a Valiant 620, saw one recently that looks very neat, it has an 'N' in its name!? Thanks PaddyL
There may be some delay in getting a response from Willk...

...I think he was mostly referring to boats built in Ireland which contain an N in the name. Valiant is well enough known throughout the UK and beyond that you should be able to get a reasonable response from the rest of the forum.

I suspect when you distill any feedack you get it will come out to be something like this:

- Valiant are a big manufacturer making lots of boats so they must be doing something right. They operate a dealer system - there are pro's and con's to that - it probably matters less for 2nd hand.
- They are generally targeted towards the lower budget end of the market and so some people here will (unfairly?) compare them to much more expensive boats and tell you they are not as good.
- Generally fit out is OK but not outstanding. Some of it may be done by the end dealer in which case could be subject to variability. With second hand boats you always need to be aware the dodgy DIYer anyway. Even some of the best respected names in the industry put our "friday afternoon" boats - so what matters is how your boat is finished not how the others are.
- The tubes are made from Polyurethane not Hypalon (PU is not to be confused with PVC). >95% of people on here will tell you Hypalon is the way to go and is much better; most of them have no real experience of PU. The marketing material for PU says it is better in many ways. The handbuilt tube makers prefer hypalon. The machine built tube makers prefer PU (because in can be welded rather than glued). If the tubes are in great condition hold air well etc then it certainly wouldn't put me off. If the tubes are getting tired or have several diy patches etc then I would be budgeting for new tubes.
- When you buy a valiant usually you get a standard set up / format of seating etc. This might be more restrictive than a "typical ribnetter" would want, but it does mean it has probably been well considered and reasonably good for the intended purpose.
- Quite a lot of their boats have "bench" type seating rather than jockies. This is much less popular on ribnet. Depending on your use it may suit you. Some valiants have a standing/leaning bolster type arrangement which some users claim is even better than typical jockey seats.