Town: Clanfield
Boat name: Ragless
Make: Ocean
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 175DI
MMSI: 235066488
Send a message via MSN to BigFella Send a message via Skype™ to BigFella
Leisure rib wanted 5.5 to 6.5

Hi all - first time I've posted here but have been reading intently for some time. . .I am reasonably new to ribs I guess but have reasonable experience of boats, especially those with sails and I know my way around the Solent pretty well - I have Day Skipper sailing, theory up to Yachtmaster and also PB2 and SRC. Like many people nowadays I work within the IT industry but am lucky enough to work from home which means that I have very flexible working hours (I know this has little to do with a 'wanted' post but feel it only polite to accompany my first forum post with a little intro so you have some idea who I am )

I am looking for a 5.5 to 6.5 m rib for leisure use in the solent. Ideally I would like the option to seat at leat six although the normal use would be two or three and would mainly be using the rib for trips around the solent, and cruising around it's many rivers (waterfront lunch stops especially ..)

My current ready cash budget stands at about £12k and I would like to find something that fits within this budget. I do curently have a motorcycle for sale which would boost my budget by around £5k but the current weather is really not helping with bike sales and I have a feeling that I could miss the whole of this year's boating season if I have to wait for it to sell.

So if anyone has/sees anything for sale that might fit the bill please let me know. I have been in touch with Jimbo about his Tohatsu but I am a litle unsure as to how noisy that is likely to be and for cruising purposes I am thinking that I would prefer a 4-stroke for both noise and economy reasons...comments welcome.

I have also been in touch wih Zippy about his coastline which is looking a good option, but ony if my bike sells before he sells it.

I have been keeping a check on boatsandoutboards and also boatshop24 and ebay but haven't seen anything yet that fits the bill. Are there any other good on-line resources for rib-sales?

Anyway - I guess that's probably about enough waffle from me for the time being.

Regards

Keith
Old 23 July 2007, 16:46   #2

Town: Yarmouth, IoW
Boat name: 7up
Make: Ribeye Sport
Engine: Merc 150 Opti
MMSI: 235057812
There's been quite a lot on the forum about 1st boats in the last couple of months. My only advice is buy something that you can sell again!!
Why?
Because the right boat is very personal and until you've had one for a year you don't really know what is important to you. Get a regular 'sports' type with a standard spec. Nothing unusual or knackered or 'custom built.'
The alternative is charter a few different boats this year to help make the same decisions about what works for you.
Also, talk to some of the dealers for new boats and see what features they are pushing and ask yourself honestly - "Is that good advice?"
JBT at Emsworth said "Get a central throttle" I didn't but wish I had (for when the young ones are driving)
Other things like all jockeys or a bench seat as well come into play as well, but its personal ....

Good luck!
Old 24 July 2007, 07:36   #3

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
whats wrong with this?

http://ribs.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=66068
Old 24 July 2007, 07:55   #4

Hi, yes I have seen that one, but two concerns were -I can't find out a great deal about Marlin ribs anywhere, but mainly that I really prefer Jockey seats, certainly for the helm at least as I have experienced bench seats in Solent chop and found them to be less than amusing if seated and the edge of the seat in the back of the leg was rather painful when standing.....
Old 24 July 2007, 07:59   #5

fully understand - will keep my eyes peeled 4 u
Old 24 July 2007, 08:03   #6

Appreciated
Old 24 July 2007, 08:03   #7

this one... pull the dive rack out put 2 more double jockeys in the space - good safe rib for 6

http://www.ribsforsale.com/detail.asp?RefNo=8298911#
Old 24 July 2007, 08:18   #8

Problem is I guess I want something that I can use straight away. Would definitely prefer a double console also.... I guess I am beginnning to sound fussy now. I suppose life is about compromise, I know what I want but can't afford/justify buying new at the moment so may have to settle for something less than perfect. I like the look of this

http://search.boatshop24.co.uk/84355...re-6.20m.html#

and also

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20541

but they are slightly over budget unless my bike sells so I will have to keep looking and in the meantime hope for a sale
Old 24 July 2007, 08:21   #9

i may have an absolute cracker for you - just spun off an email - will let you know shortly - in budget, right spec - serious boat.. ;-)
Old 24 July 2007, 08:25   #10

bugger... sorry gone - being picked up today.... but so you know it was this one.... http://stormforce.biz/ - go to for sale click on rib....
Old 24 July 2007, 08:51   #11

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
Hi Bigfella,
what bike have you got for sale?? might be able to do something as regards to taking it in on a p/x for a nice new rib with full warranty and peace of mind reliability which is all ways good when out at sea :0)
Old 24 July 2007, 15:42   #12

Hi all - looks like thigs may have changed a little as I now have someone interested in my bike who is keen to part with some readies . . . . so budget could increase

Keeping fingers, toes and everything (that's not too painful.....) crosssed
Old 26 July 2007, 07:51   #13

Just a quick update. It looks like my bike is now sold so hopefully I am pushing my budget up to £15k in order to keep some cash back to pay for some mooring fees/dry stack, as I would like to keep the boat somewhere preferably in order that I can get more usage out of it. Should have the money available from early next week so I guess this is my weekend for some earnest rib-hunting, it would be great to get something sorted before Cowes week especially as I have that week booked as Holiday

I have a few boats that I have spotted and wonder if anyone would be able/willing to comment on their pros/cons. I hesitate to list them for discussion on open forum as some belong to members of the forum and it may not be 'correct' to do so?

It seems to me that there is a great bunch of people on this forum and a vast wealth of knowledge. Would be eternally grateful if anyone would be willing to give a little advice, perhaps PM me?
Old 06 August 2007, 10:17   #14

Town: Penzance
Boat name: Dark Angel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5.85
Engine: Mariner 90HP Four Stroke
Hi, I have a Ribcraft 5.85 in the for sale section that I've just dropped the price of?
Old 23 August 2007, 19:44   #15

Town: LLANFYRNACH
Boat name: JUST FOR FUN
Make: AVON
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50HP PETROL
Quote:
Originally Posted by genoa View Post
There's been quite a lot on the forum about 1st boats in the last couple of months. My only advice is buy something that you can sell again!!
Why?
Because the right boat is very personal and until you've had one for a year you don't really know what is important to you. Get a regular 'sports' type with a standard spec. Nothing unusual or knackered or 'custom built.'
The alternative is charter a few different boats this year to help make the same decisions about what works for you.
Also, talk to some of the dealers for new boats and see what features they are pushing and ask yourself honestly - "Is that good advice?"
JBT at Emsworth said "Get a central throttle" I didn't but wish I had (for when the young ones are driving)
Other things like all jockeys or a bench seat as well come into play as well, but its personal ....

Good luck!
Hi there, I have a 5.25 meter Deep V Osprey Viper with a 100hp Suzuki (2 stroke) elec start, oil ijection, with power tilt and trim. 4hp Suzuki back up engine like new, Gps, Fishfinder, VHF, Inboard fuel tank, A frame, bilge pump, bottle rack etc etc. All on a galvanised Hallmark roller coaster trailer. I am looking for £7,000 for the package which is all year 2000 and is in excellent condition.
Please let me know if you are interested.
Best regards, Mark.