Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 09 August 2017, 15:26   #1
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Family/Fishing Rib wanted

Hi i am looking for a Family/Fishing rib (mainly fishing i would like seating for six and has to have a bench seat for the wife (2 adults and 4 kids) must be seating not tubes and deck for family days out on the coast, rivers or lakes. within the confines of a 5-6 meter (none chinese) rib, with a min of 60hp on a 5m and working up as the rib gets bigger i have a budget of 8,000 GBP but can be upped a little for the right boat

Many thanks
__________________

__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2017, 16:56   #2
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Make: valiant v570
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 100
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,071
i think seating for 6 a 60hp outboard and a budget of £8k are things that don't go together you need to do more homework
__________________

__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 03:29   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,016
Why do you want a rib?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 04:21   #4
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Why do you want a rib?
i want a rib for days out poly, with the family on the coast, rivers and lakes but mainly for me to get out fishing because my 3.8mtr sib just aint cutting it.


Beerbely wat am i missing mate ?? or is it a few extra grand ??

Many thanks
__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 04:33   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,459
RIBase
I think a 60 hp with a planned six persons is too small. I run a 90 with 4 on which works well and doesn't have an issue with a couple more. Less then 90 on anything over 5m is, I believe, hard work unless it's just 1 or 2 people.

To have seating for six on a 5-6m will be a challenge too. I have seats for 5 on my 5.5 and there's no room for a bench. Take a wonder around a good marina and spy the set ups there ans see how they work.

I suspect you're taking a 6/ 6.5 for your seating and power needs, and with the no Chinese statement (I'd be keeping my mind open) you're restricting the market open to you.

Rib eye does do the configuration you're after, and at that point you're quite a few grand out
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 05:57   #6
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 962
A 5m rib with a 60hp propped correctly would get you up and going but more power is always more fun in my book.

I run a Yam f70 4stroke on a zodiac 550 pro tour with our family of five or the kids friends or two. I do run a small stainless pitch prop of 13 1/2 x13, but if it's just two of us I can easely pop on the spare bigger pitch prop but the fact most of my time is spent crossing rough bar conditions where the swell is rarely bellow 2m. I use a prop lock not the normal nut and split pin, the prop lock is quicker to change props with.

Room is always going to be an issue, my lot sit on a large cooler fish box on on the double seat behind the centre console. There's always the tubes to sit along, you can fit foot straps to the floor to help with hanging on.

I did look at the 650pro but the extra length doesn't really give that much more room and the running costs pretty much double. My 550pro tour also fits through my standard sized garage doors meaning I can keep it safe within our home. I'm more than happy with my boat and its handling capabilitys, I use mine for offshore game fishing (80km) to snorkel and diving shallow inshore reefs.

By the way what age are the kids, keep in mind they often don't all end up going out together. One gets invited to a birthday or feels sick etc means mums is most likely not to be onboard either. The whole family trips are great but I can only remember one in the the last two years ( 500hrs of boating).
__________________
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 07:31   #7
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Thanks for the info guys and yes i know i was asking a lot realy for the small price i wanted to pay but did have a contingency of 2,000 for that extra push but even with that i was still finding it hard.

Jonp its funny you should comment with your 5.5 open pro because i have just put a deposit down on a 2005 zodiac pro open with a Suzuki 115 (2005/6) all in great condition, the seating aint what i wanted but it has seating for 4 and a large raised bow storage that i can put a get a comfy seat mat made for it i my wife has twins 11yrs to an old relationship and i have 2 to an old relationship to, 10 and 5, so my 2 would not be coming out every time to say the least so 70% of the time it will be just the 4 of us (my my wife and 2 11yrs) i think i am happy with what i am buying as i was looking at the same rib but a 2007 model (both engine and rib) and that was going for 10,000 GBP with a 90 Evinrude and when this other one (all be it 2 yrs older) came along i jumped on it big time I am just hoping its just as nice in the flesh as it is in the pics
__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 08:07   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 4
I have a halmatic Pacific 22 for sale 140hp diesel 6.5 meters £8000
__________________
tr8chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 08:19   #9
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
Thanks for the info guys and yes i know i was asking a lot realy for the small price i wanted to pay but did have a contingency of 2,000 for that extra push but even with that i was still finding it hard.

Jonp its funny you should comment with your 5.5 open pro because i have just put a deposit down on a 2005 zodiac pro open with a Suzuki 115 (2005/6) all in great condition, the seating aint what i wanted but it has seating for 4 and a large raised bow storage that i can put a get a comfy seat mat made for it i my wife has twins 11yrs to an old relationship and i have 2 to an old relationship to, 10 and 5, so my 2 would not be coming out every time to say the least so 70% of the time it will be just the 4 of us (my my wife and 2 11yrs) i think i am happy with what i am buying as i was looking at the same rib but a 2007 model (both engine and rib) and that was going for 10,000 GBP with a 90 Evinrude and when this other one (all be it 2 yrs older) came along i jumped on it big time I am just hoping its just as nice in the flesh as it is in the pics

Just go steady untill you really get used to it as that's a lot of power on that boat. The hull has slightly different chines on the newer models. Look into the UV protecting cleaners, these keep the tubes looking like new.

All the best, hope it all works out for you.
__________________
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 08:41   #10
Member
 
Stigomery's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 419
Why a RIB, for your requirements a boat like a Tehri would surely be much better suited. High/safe sides with rails for kids, dry ride, plenty seating and storage, ideal for fishing, arguably a bit quicker/easier with a smaller motor...
__________________
Stigomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 08:43   #11
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Just go steady untill you really get used to it as that's a lot of power on that boat. The hull has slightly different chines on the newer models. Look into the UV protecting cleaners, these keep the tubes looking like new.

All the best, hope it all works out for you.
Thank you my friend and yes i will not be taking any of my kids out in it just yet until i get the feel for it and yes its nice lump for a 5.5 but its only as fast as you want it to go and i am not going to push it
Mostly i am just over the moon i am on the rhib ladder to bigger and better things (i hope hahaha)
__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 08:54   #12
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigomery View Post
Why a RIB, for your requirements a boat like a Tehri would surely be much better suited. High/safe sides with rails for kids, dry ride, plenty seating and storage, ideal for fishing, arguably a bit quicker/easier with a smaller motor...
It was/is a rib i wanted not a boat i just like them better easier to handle to get in and out of water easier to tow about from lake to lake or coast to coast and if a boat goes over it goes down, but if a rib goes over i just climb on top,
i just find the rib more attractive as appose to a boat

Regards Ian.
__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 11:50   #13
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Make: valiant v570
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 100
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,071
hi glad you have found something your happy with .my comment was referring to getting a 5m rib with seating for 6 is a push then expecting a 60hp outboard to provide the jollies is unrealistic .what you have bought sounds like an ideal solution the zodiac will have room for 4 no bother and a 115 outboard will be perfectly fine.hopefully we will see you out from Hartlepool soon
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 12:07   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,016
Family/Fishing Rib wanted

Neo - I meant the same at Stig, why not a hardboat - however you've obviously made up your mind. I think you are probably underestimating the flotation ability of some modern hardboats, and as Stig pointed out you can get options offering more space, power, seating, freeboard etc. Perhaps not as good for playing in big waves, but most folk don't take families in those conditions.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 12:55   #15
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Family/Fishing Rib wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Neo - I meant the same at Stig, why not a hardboat - however you've obviously made up your mind. I think you are probably underestimating the flotation ability of some modern hardboats, and as Stig pointed out you can get options offering more space, power, seating, freeboard etc. Perhaps not as good for playing in big waves, but most folk don't take families in those conditions.
Hi poly and yes neither do i or will not be having my family out in poor to bad conditions but as i mentioned this is a duel role rib primarily me out fishing and will be out doing my thing fishing and relaxing, (may be a few giggly waters) but as when we do forecast a nice sunny day and the tide and swell plays ball then it will then become a family boat for up and down the coast rivers or lakes

Many thanks Ian
__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 13:04   #16
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
hi glad you have found something your happy with .my comment was referring to getting a 5m rib with seating for 6 is a push then expecting a 60hp outboard to provide the jollies is unrealistic .what you have bought sounds like an ideal solution the zodiac will have room for 4 no bother and a 115 outboard will be perfectly fine.hopefully we will see you out from Hartlepool soon
Berrbelly thank you my friend yes i think i have found a suited boat to my needs as i say i been looking at the same boat but it was a 2007 and same age evinrude 90 for 10g and was poised ready to pounce on it but then this came along at 2 years older but yet still in great shape for 3g less, with a bigger arse
so yes at this very moment in time i am happy with what i have bought and yes i will take you up on the offer of a run out at some point were do you launch from i am at the yacht club

Cheers Ian.
__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 13:31   #17
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
does anyone know of any retailers locally to the north east that would do a single bolster/fold down seat on a swivel with lockable positions and possibly on a hydrolic up down ram something like this on a pedestal

Relaxn Deluxe Sports Flip-Up Bucket Seat Light Grey And Dark Grey Upholstery
__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 14:28   #18
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Make: valiant v570
Length: 5m +
Engine: mercury 100
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
Berrbelly thank you my friend yes i think i have found a suited boat to my needs as i say i been looking at the same boat but it was a 2007 and same age evinrude 90 for 10g and was poised ready to pounce on it but then this came along at 2 years older but yet still in great shape for 3g less, with a bigger arse
so yes at this very moment in time i am happy with what i have bought and yes i will take you up on the offer of a run out at some point were do you launch from i am at the yacht club

Cheers Ian.
well my trailer is in the yacht club in my parking space but I currently have a warrior that is moored in the marina .ill keep an eye out for a new zodiac showing up my trailer is in no 73 next to the black Humber ocean pro
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2017, 15:08   #19
neo
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
well my trailer is in the yacht club in my parking space but I currently have a warrior that is moored in the marina .ill keep an eye out for a new zodiac showing up my trailer is in no 73 next to the black Humber ocean pro
ok sounds good i am back in the uk for 2 days (19-20 aug) but busy then and then back in uk 1-10th aug so hopefully i get some decent weather to test run the new toy
__________________

__________________
neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×