Old 21 March 2003, 13:11   #1

Town: Cheshire
Dive RIB Wanted - 5.8 - 6.2m

Second post of this requirement -

I particularly want to stay within as many of the following parameters as possible:

Premium manufacturer i.e: Ribcraft/Ribtec/Humber (Ocean-Pro or Destroyer) Tornado/Delta/Osprey/Avon
Not more than about three years old
Not less than 5.8m - ideally not more than 6.2m.
Underfloor tank(s) - 120 litre minimum
Single (one man) console only - essential! (I just want the deck space)
All cables routed below deck.
Minimum100HP - four stroke preferred - twin engines better still! (No Tohatsu or Selva please)
Twin axle road trailer - can always resolve this locally if necessary.
Full electronics installation preferred but not essential VHF + DSC; GPS Plotter; Depth Sounder.

Realistic budget - Loooking for something with a real future!

Will not waste anyone's time if the boat fits the need.

Cheshire based but willing to travel nationwide for the right boat.

Accurate descriptions will save everyone time.

E-mail me with realistic offers

Paul Ford
paulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2003, 13:21   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Re: Dive RIB Wanted - 5.8 - 6.2m

Quote:
Originally posted by paulford
(No Tohatsu or Selva please)
- What's the problem with Tohatsu, Paul?

I know that some old Selva outboards have a chequered history, although some 2002/2003 models are in fact Yamahas, but Tohatsu have a terrific reputation, and in fact their 2.5 to 15hp range are the same as Merc/Mariner. Some of their big carb motors a bit thirsty perhaps? but all are accepted for service by (and supplied by) Andy Clark at The Bosun's Mate.
Old 24 March 2003, 14:31   #3

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Paul since you don't think that Falcon are a premium manufacturer (lolol ) here is the tel number a friend of mine in Gloucestershire who sells boats and is the local rep for Avon, Valiant and Quick Silver also Yamaha and Mariner dealer.
Last time I passed by his shop he had a 2nd hand 6 mtr+ COBRA with a 4-stroke HONDA in good condition. Give him a ring he may be able to help you (if has not sold it yet).

SAMSPEED MARINE Tel 01454 260123 ask for Martin and mention my name.
Good luck.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2003, 22:19   #4

A few words in explanation

Pepper,

I'm trying to exclude both Tohatsu and Selva engines from the equation on a couple of grounds;

My first RIB - I'd like it to be fun rather than traumatic.

A mate has a boat with Twin Selvas - they're more trouble than they're worth - OK so some of the later ones may be better - these are Year 2000 units. Reliability has been nothing short of dreadful. He also runs another boat with twin Suzuki four strokes - they're fabulous

As for Tohatsu, I simply don't know enough about them to sort the wheat from the chaff - although I do know that parts can be a problem on certain models.

The other reason for steering away from these two engine manufacturers is simply that of resale value.

Paul Ford
Old 24 March 2003, 22:54   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Manos
Paul since you don't think that Falcon are a premium manufacturer (lolol ) COBRA with a 4-stroke HONDA in good condition. SAMSPEED MARINE Tel 01454 260123 ask for Martin and mention my name.
Good luck.
Manos,

Don't assume that Falcon is not a premium manufacturer just because they're not on my list . Remember this is my first RIB - and I just want to play safe - within the bounds of common sense (hell, boats, and common sense in the same sentence - that must be an oxymoron [a contradiction in terms] the cost is secondary to the boat being right for what I want. If I perceive the boat to be good value that's where I'll be spending my money. I missed two boats about a month ago - before people on this forum started educating me (Thanks all). I should have gone with my instincts - Tornado 5.8/Yam F115 10 months old, Humber Destroyer 6.0/Merc F115 6 months old - both being sold because of significant changes in the vendor's circumstances. Had I been quicker off the mark they were £14k and 15k respectively with electronics trailers etc included.

I'm surprised that there aren't more boats of this size on the market - all the manufacturers tell me that this is their most popular size range. Everytime I do find one that looks interesting it seems to have been specced with too small an engine or endowed with too many seats - if not both!

I'm resigned to a long search - I can't bring myself to part with the thick end of £20k for what I really want brand new. I'd like someone else to stand the first (largest) depreciation hit!

Paul Ford
Old 25 March 2003, 05:39   #6

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Paul,

It was ment as a joke
I completely understand!!
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2003, 21:10   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
I am sure I told you before if not I should have. Pete 7 is selling an excellent Ribtec Hull, with removable seating and all sorts of stuff. It's very well looked after reasonable Priced and in excellent condition.
Old 26 April 2003, 20:40   #8

Still looking

Hi everyone ,

I've not found a suitable boat yet

There must be one out there for sale?

The citeria have not changed £££ still waiting to be spent.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Paul Ford
Old 27 April 2003, 06:45   #9

Town: Lymington
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha
Paul

I have e-mailed you a spec sheet on Ribtec 5.85 I bought new in 99/2000. It has removable seating which I had specially done by Ribtec (stainless frames are set in the deck, you can't see them, and the seats bolt into them. I did this for diving as somtimes wanted the seats and sometimes didn't.

The boat is grey and orange with a Mercury 135 Optimax that has great power for pushing lots of weight.

Let me know if you are interested.

Stuart

07979 533722