Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 February 2007, 16:04   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: warrington cheshire
Boat name: crusoe
Make: zodiac-medline2
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
MMSI: 235009733
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 86
Quote:
I would be very interested to here what they say and or do.
Zodiac have inspected the Medline II sponsons. They tell me that the problem is polymerisation and have agreed to completely re-tube my boat. They made this decision within four working days of inspection/paperwork being forwarded to them. In my opinion Zodiac and their representatives, Jeff and Roger, have treated me with courtesy and respect.

Many thanks to all involved
__________________

__________________
crusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2007, 16:00   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: warrington cheshire
Boat name: crusoe
Make: zodiac-medline2
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
MMSI: 235009733
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 86
Well the new tubes have arrived in North Wales

Hoping to have them fitted on the 17th march

I belive they are made from Zodiacs new material {sharc}

Anybody got any feedback on this product.
__________________

__________________
crusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 11:01   #13
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Just what I've dug up from google. It is a zodiac brand name and appears to be a polyurethane based fabric rather than PVC. Here's zodiac's info about it;

http://www.marinesafe.com.au/inflata...ex_fabric.html
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 11:21   #14
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Urethane is supposed to be much more stable than PVC. Good to know they're changing. (Tuber; thanks for the link - I'd seen the name, and figured it was still PVC with a different nomenclature.)

If I ever need to get my RIB retubed, it'll probably be with PU tubes from Wing (assuming I can afford it.)

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 11:34   #15
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
If I ever need to get my RIB retubed, it'll probably be with PU tubes from Wing (assuming I can afford it.)

jky
I'd be careful about thate. From the reading I've done, the big advantage in abrasion & puncture resistance that PU has over hypalon is seen when comparing the fabrics when new. Aparently after about 5 years of use, they are fairly similar & beyond that, a high quality hypalon will be more durable and won't deteriorate as rapidly as PU. Keep in mind that there are some low quality hypalon fabrics out there as well.

Perhaps Paul Tilley can give his insights on this?
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 15:01   #16
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
Keep in mind that there are some low quality hypalon fabrics out there as well.
You're so right. Especially some orange stuff
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 18:14   #17
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber View Post
I'd be careful about thate. From the reading I've done, the big advantage in abrasion & puncture resistance that PU has over hypalon is seen when comparing the fabrics when new. Aparently after about 5 years of use, they are fairly similar & beyond that, a high quality hypalon will be more durable and won't deteriorate as rapidly as PU.
Don't know. The Navy has been buying from Wing for quite a while, though, and continue to do so. Surely that must count for some vote of confidence?

But, as I stated, that was an "if I ever need to retube". Not there yet (and likely won't be for many years.)

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 18:54   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: warrington cheshire
Boat name: crusoe
Make: zodiac-medline2
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
MMSI: 235009733
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 86
Prairia Tuber.

Thanks for the link.The write up sounds excellent.

I'm well chuffed with the outcome of my warranty with Zodiac.
__________________
crusoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 22:27   #19
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Don't know. The Navy has been buying from Wing for quite a while, though, and continue to do so. Surely that must count for some vote of confidence?

But, as I stated, that was an "if I ever need to retube". Not there yet (and likely won't be for many years.)

jky
I think for the navy, the higher abrasion & puncture resistance of PU, is the greater priority even if the PU tubes might need replacing earlier than hypalon tubes. I believe those Wing PU tubes are for the big USN RIBs. They still do spec 1880 dtx hypalon for their Zodiac FC-470s.
__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2007, 22:28   #20
Member
 
Country: Canada
Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusoe View Post
Prairia Tuber.

Thanks for the link.The write up sounds excellent.

I'm well chuffed with the outcome of my warranty with Zodiac.
No problem. Those PU tubes should hold up to some pretty intensive use .
__________________

__________________
prairie tuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.