Old 04 July 2017, 22:26   #1

Town: Spain
Boat name: Nonamed
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard petrol
Zodiac pro II 500 2001 year.

Im close to buy this rib, but I would know different opinions about it because it will be my first rib and Im not sure to do. The balloons were replaced 8 years ago and looks nice. The outboard engine is a selva 4 stroke injection 50cv.

What do you tell me about it?

Thanks!!
Old 05 July 2017, 13:22   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

Zodiac Pros (especially early ones) are PVC. The tubes are thermo-bonded during manufacture. PVC should be good for 10-15 years, but as you're in Spain - the boat probably had a hard life with extremes of temperature, if the inflatable tube-set was replaced. In addition - they're not fitted with pressure-releasing valves which can compensate to a degree if out in the sun all-day.

The're also relatively shallow V hulls, so will have a tendency to slap in the rough stuff, that's my experience.

The Pros also have slide-on collars which means you can remove. Certainly worth doing to check and clean the boat. Deflate the inflatable tube, release bow strap and transom straps and hall backwards. Fitting is as per reverse with a little washing-up liquid to lube. Probably a 2-3 person job to refit.

Engine-wise, no experience of Selva engines, but sounds a little under-powered depending how many people are on board. Like anything - get it checked over, serviced, etc.

You'll need an ICC licence for that size of engine, insurance paperwork, etc.
Old 05 July 2017, 17:26   #3

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Zodiac Pros (especially early ones) are PVC. The tubes are thermo-bonded during manufacture. PVC should be good for 10-15 years, but as you're in Spain - the boat probably had a hard life with extremes of temperature, if the inflatable tube-set was replaced. In addition - they're not fitted with pressure-releasing valves which can compensate to a degree if out in the sun all-day.

The're also relatively shallow V hulls, so will have a tendency to slap in the rough stuff, that's my experience.

The Pros also have slide-on collars which means you can remove. Certainly worth doing to check and clean the boat. Deflate the inflatable tube, release bow strap and transom straps and hall backwards. Fitting is as per reverse with a little washing-up liquid to lube. Probably a 2-3 person job to refit.

Engine-wise, no experience of Selva engines, but sounds a little under-powered depending how many people are on board. Like anything - get it checked over, serviced, etc.

You'll need an ICC licence for that size of engine, insurance paperwork, etc.
Zodiac started offering NEO tubes on PRO hulls in about 2004-2005 or so after the PRO II was discontinued, and replaced with the "PRO 420/500/550/650".

I like to use wire pulling jelly for pulling tubes on. It's water based, and formulated not to harm the material (since it's designed not to affect wiring insulation).
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2017, 19:33   #4

Town: Spain
Boat name: Nonamed
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard petrol
Thanks for your answers!! The new tubes look very nice, so I think have no problems with them. In other case I can substitute them, but they are ok. In addition the age of the boat is high..
Old 05 July 2017, 19:57   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Zodiac started offering NEO tubes on PRO hulls in about 2004-2005...
Thank you office888
Old 06 July 2017, 05:57   #6

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
if you could get a pro open version they have a deeper v hull than the pro (better sea handling) and also more seating/storage. I have a 550 pro open with a 115hp engine and on that basis i would say the 50hp on the 500 pro might be a bit small. The pro open i would take anywhere, great ribs and very stable.

Tags
zodiac